Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 AM #1
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Overly focused?

A hort while ago I decided that I was ON enough to make it to the kitchen to forage. It was a calculated risk, but I was quite hungry. I made it to the kitchen and popped open a can of fruit chunks, stuck a fork full in my face, and turned to head back to my chair.

Sure enough, holding the can of fruit was too much t process, or so it seemed. I steeled myself for the struggle, but thought that I would have another stab of fruit. As I fished around looking into the can, my "struggle" gear was momentarily in neutral as I focused on the intricacies of fruit cocktail at 4:00 AM. And I took an effortless step.

For just a moment I was distracted and the freeze broke long enough to take that step and then closed back in. I was able to reproduce it three or four times before the lab supplies ran out.

I had felt that one reason for freezing was too much stimulus coming in. The rabbit in the headlights. But this added to how we can lose ourselves in a task or music or a joint makes it seem less that than it seems a matter of too much focus on what is happening in the complex world of balance and walking. A sort of hypervigilance monitoring each muscle the way many of us monitor the world?
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (12-17-2010)

advertisement
Old 12-17-2010, 01:01 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default that's a trick

It's like the old science fiction shows where the aliens read minds and if you want to beat them you have to do the deed while thinking of something else.

For me that's easier to do because I don't think about what I'm doing anyway.

Sorry, I know the people on this forum are pretty serious and I don't mean to undermine that.
marciaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Conductor71 (12-17-2010), Sasha (12-20-2010)
Old 12-17-2010, 01:04 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Talking humor

marciaj,

Please don't apologize for addding some humor to this board!!
We need that in our lives as well!

Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciaj View Post
It's like the old science fiction shows where the aliens read minds and if you want to beat them you have to do the deed while thinking of something else.

For me that's easier to do because I don't think about what I'm doing anyway.

Sorry, I know the people on this forum are pretty serious and I don't mean to undermine that.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:35 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post

I had felt that one reason for freezing was too much stimulus coming in. The rabbit in the headlights. But this added to how we can lose ourselves in a task or music or a joint makes it seem less that than it seems a matter of too much focus on what is happening in the complex world of balance and walking. A sort of hypervigilance monitoring each muscle the way many of us monitor the world?

Hypervigilance...." from wikipedia

Hypervigilance is an enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose is to detect threats. Hypervigilance is also accompanied by a state of increased anxiety which can cause exhaustion"

this state (hypervigilance) is all too famaliar to me rev- my problem is my brain seems to have set this as the default operating program - it is a sort of multidimensional problem because there is a sort of time warp issue - did you ever read carlos castaneda? we live in a dualistic world so we need our self awareness yet its is so easy to become trapped by a reactive mode

curing pd is like curing stress - or curing death - how do you cure death? ..move to Hawaii?

md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla

Last edited by moondaughter; 12-18-2010 at 10:47 AM. Reason: took awhile to figure out how to answer my own question.....
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just_me_77 (12-19-2010)