Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default can't watch tv, computer, etc without getting dizzy

I'm a 44 yr old mom of 3 -- I hit my head at a waterpark (sept 1, 2010) --3 1/2 months ago...post concussion syndrome got so bad that I am out of work. Until just recently I could barely function without major headache. I was confined to my dark bedroom..no tv, radio noise,etc. I am a bit better...meaning tolerating more. I cannot go on the computer more than a few mins at a time without getting dizzy or this weird feeling in my head. The tv does the same thing. I am a bit better in the sense of I have a ton of energy..but everything makes my head spin...and it becomes very sensitive...sounds etc.

sometimes even talking on the phone or talking to my family brings on the dizziness.

HELP -- -what can I do... reading a book does the same thing...knitting also.

My husband has done all the christmas shopping as I can't tolerate stores..he does all the grocery shopping. I'm confined to this stupid house most of the time. I really need some advice.

I am SOOOO bored. Help...I can't stand it anymore
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 AM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi,
I wish Drs seeing these head conditions would at least consider or mention upper cervical chiropractic. NUCCA.

Basically the head is a heavy object balanced on small bones (c1 & c2) that can get knocked out of alignment quite easily.

some info about it
http://www.upcspine.com/self.htm
http://www.upper-cervical.com/index.html
http://www.nucca.org/patients.php
"Thanks for this!" says:
aireyden (12-21-2010)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:36 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

aireyden,

Sorry to hear of your struggles.

You are caught in a frustrating Catch 22. You need help but your symptoms hamper your ability to reach out for help. My heart goes out to you.

The Upper Cervical Chiro is a good recommendation.

You also may benefit from finding a good Neuro-Ophthalmologist. There have been posts by others with the name of an Association that the good ones are members of. My brain can't remember but maybe others will see this post and add this information.

Have you experimented with different genre's of music? Different tempos and vocal styles may fit your brains current processing ability. For me, some music is almost painful to try to listen to. Other music 'fits' my brain and allows me to listen and relax. I do best with a consistent mild melody. No intense changes or odd tempo changes.

Have you tried ear plugs? They will help block background or ambient sounds. Your brain may be getting overwhelmed by too many different streams of sounds. Foam ear plugs help my brain find the single sound that it can process. If I try to watch TV, I use head phones. They provide a distinct difference between the TV audio and the other sounds in the room.

Hope this helps.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:14 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

but is it from the tv/computer images or the sound??

I went to a chiro already for a few weeks...not much of a noticeable difference but now am doing prolotherapy. I definately see an improvement since starting that 3 weeks ago..

I went to the mall yesterday -- lasted under an hour and was WAY overwhelmed. ..yes you guessed it huge headache later on. Prob not a good time of year to try the mall.

I am now hesitant to go food shopping...only need a few things. I guess I have to get out each day -- so I'll try later.

I'll check in later. I guess everything in small doses should be ok.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:11 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

The mall is a No No for me, especially during busy times.

I am also struggling, as usually, with all the repetitive music that I hear during Christmas. I get a song playing in my head that can last all day. Exhausting....

Have you tried going to the grocery store during off hours. Late at night or early morning?

Keep trying the small doses.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:10 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

thanks Mark...yes I tried the grocery store yest...20 mins..(family of 5) i used the earplugs...and thank god bec the manager was yelling his sale items over the intercom!!!

I went to the store today with my daughter...she drove...not as bad ..also with earplugs.

I'm posting another thread...I am noticing my head is very sensitive lately.. like sounds are vibrating in my head...weird.

Denise