advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Medicaid stopped when i appealed

Why do they cut you off Medicaid when I lose my SSD/SSI claim and then appeal? How am I supoosed to striegthen my case if I can't see more Drs?
Has anyone else had this problem?
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-21-2010, 03:09 PM #2
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default medicade

Did medicade give you a reason why they cut you off? I thought you were to be given a chance to appeal before they took away the financial benefit. Hope it works out for you. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginnie View Post
Did medicade give you a reason why they cut you off? I thought you were to be given a chance to appeal before they took away the financial benefit. Hope it works out for you. ginnie
Social Services sent me the letter telling me my Medicaid would end even if I appealed my SSI/SSDI decision. This is the state of Maryland, maybe things are different here.
bdh1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 AM #4
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcs View Post
Why do they cut you off Medicaid when I lose my SSD/SSI claim and then appeal? How am I supoosed to striegthen my case if I can't see more Drs?
Has anyone else had this problem?
I would gather all my medical information and make an appointment at your local office. a.s.a.p. They have a right to stop your benefits if they feel you are better.
Here is a link I will try to dig a little deeper if you would like me to.

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dwork2.htm

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dwork1.htm
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Social SEcurity appeal

Once you have been denied, you can usually obtain a lawyer to help you appeal to social security and they take their pay on contingency. It's usually about 30% give or take some. Typically it takes about two years on a waiting list for your case to be heard. In the interim, it is very difficult to live and if you can get any state insurance or high risk insurance, that may be the only other option as you wait. I would see an attorney ASAP.
My daughter had serious health problems and she couldn't get any help Medicaid was either for someone with a child or pregnant or you were very indigent or on social security SSI.

I don't know how anyone lives on SSI, it is so small but the medical benefits are very helpful. Our daughter we kept on a Cobra plan until she was 24 and were in the appeal process. We were told by someone in social security that if she got sick enough that her life was at risk, that we could have an immediate emergency hearing with a judge, you can expedite it in that case. There is a huge waiting list. She was finally approved for SSD and since we had waited two years from the time of the injury and application she was already eligible for Medicare.

If you can find someone to help advocate for you - check around your area for organizations that may assist in this way and as I saw someone note to take all your paperwork to your social security office. They may be helpful and direct your options.

Best Wishes, This is very hard while you are not well.
Elizabett is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:31 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcs View Post
Social Services sent me the letter telling me my Medicaid would end even if I appealed my SSI/SSDI decision. This is the state of Maryland, maybe things are different here.
While appealing, apply for welfare. You will automatically be enrolled into Medicaid & food stamps programs.
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:38 PM #7
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
While appealing, apply for welfare. You will automatically be enrolled into Medicaid & food stamps programs.
Here is some information on welfare. From what I understand it's hard to qualify for also.

Eligibility Requirements for State Welfare Program

Eligibility for a Welfare program depends on numerous factors. Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy, homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible for.

The Federal government provides assistance through TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). TANF is a grant given to each state to run their own welfare program. To help overcome the former problem of unemployment due to reliance on the welfare system, the TANF grant requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements could result in loss of benefits.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote