Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 09:15 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default exercise

Do any of you exercise? I have a spin bike at home, but I like the eliptical machine at the gym. I'm 3 1/2 months PCS and I can't stand it anymore. I can't go shopping to stores ...brings on the headache later. ...can't watch much tv or computer...so can I at least go to the gym for a half hour or so a day??
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-23-2010, 11:35 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Funny, I was just about to start a thread with the title "Exercise" before I saw this one.

I find that even (strenuous) physical exercise makes my brain tired, often for a 3-5 day stretch. Is this normal for those who have had a concussion? What is the ideal role of strenuous exercise for someone recovering from a brain injury?
Horace316 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:02 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There is an exercise protocol that is for PCS. The subject needs to find the effort that causes symptoms. This will be a baseline. Then exercise is done to stay 10% or so below that level. Blood pressure, pulse rate, etc can be determined to measure the baseline.

If before, your target heart rate before PCS was 140, you may find that you cannot go over 110 now. Your target for exercise would then be 100 bpm. This heart rate is maintained for a few weeks than the target is slowly increased. The goal is simple. Find your heart rate that triggers symptoms and exercise at a lower rate. The blood flow through your brain will be helpful but you don't want to over do it.

Search this forum for University and Buffalo and exercise and you should find more info. This was discussed early this past year.

It is likely that exercising until you get the endorphin release is problematic.

Also, avoid exercises that create any form of jarring effect on your spine. These will impact your head.

Merry Christmas to all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedinPA (12-23-2010)
Old 12-29-2010, 02:26 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Wow Mark, you just scared me off from exercising for the New Year. I was thinking about going to the gym

I could have read it wrong though, as I am not the smartest in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
There is an exercise protocol that is for PCS. The subject needs to find the effort that causes symptoms. This will be a baseline. Then exercise is done to stay 10% or so below that level. Blood pressure, pulse rate, etc can be determined to measure the baseline.

If before, your target heart rate before PCS was 140, you may find that you cannot go over 110 now. Your target for exercise would then be 100 bpm. This heart rate is maintained for a few weeks than the target is slowly increased. The goal is simple. Find your heart rate that triggers symptoms and exercise at a lower rate. The blood flow through your brain will be helpful but you don't want to over do it.

Search this forum for University and Buffalo and exercise and you should find more info. This was discussed early this past year.

It is likely that exercising until you get the endorphin release is problematic.

Also, avoid exercises that create any form of jarring effect on your spine. These will impact your head.

Merry Christmas to all.
July63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:03 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Can't live with it, Can't live without it!

I can't live without activity, but even a 20min walk leaves a killer headache.
This summer I am going to the beach, so I decided that after 2 years of no activity, I need to do something.
So, for the past 4 months I have been going to the gym 3-5 times a week and just work-out for an hour each time and do very low impact activities. NO Jumping rope !!!
The step machine is great! Lifting light weights are good. I always get a headache within the first five minutes, but I want to look good for the beach, and I need to come back to life. It is good for me.
Now the only way that I am starting to do this is this past summer I had an MRI of my neck and head, as well as an MRA of my head. Both were clear of any problems, so there is nothing life-threateningly wrong with me. Unless you have had this done, make sure you are careful because problems could arise from activity.

Good Luck!
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote