Computers and Technology A general forum for discussions about computers, technology, and the Internet. If you just want to "geek out" or talk about how computers tick, then this is the place!

advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default Got a dvd player DOESN'T WORK

And yes, I know how to hook up a dvd player. Since the Sony Trinitron has all the red white and yellow outputs, I simply connected the proper colors in the front of my Sony, and in the back of the Coby Dvd player (the cheap one).

Well, at first, I screwed up because in the front of the tv I put the yellow thing in the white one and vice versa, and when I inserted a dvd all I got was scrambled signals. I then checked, went AHA, wrong colors, made sure I re-did it correctly so all colors were put in correct inputs, etc. and I put in a disc (5 of them to be precise because the thing is dead in the water.

When I first put in a dvd (when I did the wrong color thing) the dvd spun around and when I pressed the "open" button, the lid opened and you could see the disc spinning until it slowed down.

Well!!!! after I corrected my mistake, re-plugged everything where it's supposed to be, made sure my dvd player is plugged into the wall. The red light is on, so I know it's ON!!!, I inserted my Avatar. no autoplay.. I then pressed the "play" option on the remote. Dead in the water.

I did this with 5 other dvds.

I know it's dead in the water because when I hit the "open lid" button, there was no spinning.

5 discs. No spinning.

Okay, what next? It's a brand new dvd player that I got (from a free internet rewards program).

I knew it was a piece of you know what when I got it, but hey it was free.

Anyone else have an experience with Coby (it retails for $39.99) in the store.

Thanks much

All I want to do is play my Avatar DVD.

good lord.
Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I do not think your remote for the TV will work with a plug in DVD player. You have to manually turn it on and off. (for $40 I would not expect much in the way of flexibility).

Look it up online... Coby makes many types and see if any info there is helpful.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:04 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I do not think your remote for the TV will work with a plug in DVD player. You have to manually turn it on and off. (for $40 I would not expect much in the way of flexibility).

Look it up online... Coby makes many types and see if any info there is helpful.
Mrs. D.

It's a Coby 210 dvd player. Comes with it's own remote. That's the remote I was talking about.

The first time I tried to play a dvd in it (when I had the wrong inputs in), I got a scrambled signal. Oh, the input channel on the tv is set to Line 2 (that's for DVD). I knew this because that's the only way I could see anything (after I put in the disc). So even though I got lines, I knew this was the input channel I had to choose to view any dvd.

Line 1 got nothing, and Line 3 is where the Direct tv comes in loud and clear.

So after pressing the input button on the tv, I know I should be able to view a dvd (that is if the dvd player is working).

Well, after I took out the red, white and yellow things, and correctly put them where they were supposed to be, I plugged the dvd player back in. I inserted a dvd and nothing worked.

And I know it's the dvd player because when I opened the lid, the disc was not spinning (to slow down to stop).

The first time I used it, (even though I never saw a picture), the dvd player was SPINNING.

After that, no matter what dvd I put in the player, it did not spin. So that means it's not reading the dvd.

The red light is on, so I know the power is on.

I aimed the remote at the player (it's supposed to do auto-play) but I figured, hey, it comes with a remote (with batteries), that did nothing.

So I manually tried to make it play a dvd.

Nothing.

So I went to the local video store, and asked them. They said 'This is a very cheap player (it retails for $26.00 online). They said 'you need a better one.

Yeah I know this.

But it was free. I'm going to have to send it back.

What a bummer.

All I wanted for Christmas was to see Avatar. Can't play it on my computer, I CAN play it on my portable dvd player, but I just wanted to play it on the living room tv so Alan and I can watch.

Oh, one more thing. VERIZON DSL stinks. They have been to my house 2 times in two weeks. They were supposed to come yesterday to determine why my dsl signal keeps going out on me.

They sent me a new modem in the mail. That was about 3 weeks ago. They checked the lines, they told me they checked this, that it was the port from the Central Office, they changed that. They told me this and that.

We waited all day yesterday (and they called 3 times telling me "The guy is coming"

No guy came.

I am thinking very seriously about switching to Optimum Online.

I mean, this is ridiculous (and kind of scary)

To have to depend on Verizon (and they are not reliable).

I wish we could go back to the old days when tv was free.

I really do.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I only found one review of this and the writer said the unit was junk. Stopped working after 3 discs were played.

Make sure you are using the correct exit port... the specs say digital and AV analog output... do you see 2 exit ports?

Otherwise looks like a bust to me. Sorry.

I have noticed that the new Avatars on sale have 3 discs in them now for various players! I find that interesting!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:15 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I only found one review of this and the writer said the unit was junk. Stopped working after 3 discs were played.

Make sure you are using the correct exit port... the specs say digital and AV analog output... do you see 2 exit ports?

Otherwise looks like a bust to me. Sorry.

I have noticed that the new Avatars on sale have 3 discs in them now for various players! I find that interesting!
What do you mean correct exit ports. In the back of this unit there are 4 ports and a power input thing.

Of the 4 ports, there are red, white, yellow, and what appears to be orange.

I put the red in the red, the yellow in the yellow, and the white in the white. I plugged the power thing in.

Then in the FRONT of my Sony Trinitron, there are 3 ports. red, yellow, white, (and I've done this a long time ago with my little portable dvd player) and it worked fine, only I can't find the connector for that little gizmo so I can't use it with my tv, I can only use my little portable dvd player all by itself.

But this Coby, I really do think I installed it correctly. But yeah, it's a piece of junk.

My god, everything today is wi-fi and wire-less.

I can't even get Verizon to show up for a tech appointment.

To me, it's kind of scary to have to be dependent on these HUGE conglomerates when we used to be able to just sit back and watch tv for free.

Scares the bejesus out of me.

No one under the age of 40 understands what I am talking about. They all are on facebook.

Thanks much Mrs. D.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-23-2010, 04:41 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Well there is still free tv available if you have an antenna & a converter box.
or a new tv with built in tuner & a antenna.

I don't know how well it works if you are in a city with lots of tall buildings though.

Buildings, trees, even wind, rain, & snow will affect the over the air digital broadcast.
if you are close to a signal tower you should be OK.

I know for a fact -we use antennas & new tv with tuners.
We did use older tv with the tuner boxes (zenith converter is a good brand} but decided to upgrade 2 tvs at separate times when they went on sale.

no cable bill for us.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

And I remember when tv's were SO BIG AND HEAVY and they had cathode ray tubes and the tv repairman made housecalls and took off the back of the tv, and replaced little tubes.

Oh god, I'm getting old!!

lol

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO MY GOOD FRIENDS AT NEUROTALK

from Melody and Alan

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (12-23-2010)
Old 12-31-2010, 03:13 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

we got a Black Friday deal last year and it was also a Coby. Worthless piece of plastic IMHO. One never worked (store said so many had been returned that they were not even going to charge me the restocking fee). Second one died on 3rd day.
Sometimes free (or wicked cheap like I got) costs too much of my patience...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!
jprinz99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprinz99 View Post
we got a Black Friday deal last year and it was also a Coby. Worthless piece of plastic IMHO. One never worked (store said so many had been returned that they were not even going to charge me the restocking fee). Second one died on 3rd day.
Sometimes free (or wicked cheap like I got) costs too much of my patience...
Hi

I emailed the company and they said "Do not even bother to return the dvd player, we are shipping you a new one"

What does THAT tell you??

lol

I'm imagining all the complaints that they must have received.

melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (01-03-2011), jprinz99 (01-11-2011)