Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 03:29 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default earplugs - do you use them..if so when/how often

I finally found a pair of earplugs that work well...but I hate wearing them as the ringing in my ears is so loud.

I notice I use them when there are multiple people in the room...drowns out others conversations I guess....or when the radio is on in the car...it just annoys me.

Anyone else?? DO they actually help...should I be wearing them more often?
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-29-2010, 05:26 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

not sure what your financial options are but my i've just gotten a set of noise cancelling headphones. Prob the best gift my husband has ever given me ;-)

I too have quite a lot of trouble with rininging in my ears. When I wear the earphones and swtich on the noise canceling switch it cancels out the ringing. For me its been an amazing change. In the past I would drown out the rining with a movie. (Can't stand TV due to flashing visuals and volume of commercials)

I use these headphones all the time. I'm not sure what he spent. Mine are Sony. I love them. Wish we would have gotten them months ago.

Hope this helps...
MarileeG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:56 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I keep earplugs in all my coats, jacket, purses, and cars. They are for just in case. The earplugs have really saved me in many instances. Leaf blowers and snow blowers are a big hazard in my neighborhood. I also use headphones, but sometimes I forget them or they are inappropriate in certain circumstances. I try to keep to quiet situations, but when I must venture out to any noisy environment then I use them.

I also rarely leave the house without my sunglasses. I have them in various tinting to help me cope with my light sensitivity.

Hope this helps
ConcussedinPA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'm with concussedinPA. I have ear plugs stashed everywhere. My wife always has a set handy if I don't have quick access. Over the past many years, we have both learned to avoid the environments where sound is an issue. If she wants me to be with her where sound is an issue, she will ask if I think it will be a problem. Then we bring ear plugs anyway.

Our society is so loud now, it amazes me how I can wear ear plugs and still hear everything that is important.

Regarding sunglasses, I have worn photo-chromatic (self darkening) prescription glasses since 1971 or so. So, I always have sunglasses on. I also am a habitual hat wearer. Bright sun can easily over-power dark glasses.

These are accommodations that are so normal for me that they do not seem like accommodations. They are no different than my need to wear prescription glasses since the third grade. It is just how I live.

The ear plugs are explained to those who look quizzical with a simple, "I have an auditory processing disorder." Sometimes, I might add, "My brain struggles to pick out the important sounds from the background noise."

For what its worth, ... Woops, My thought just fell of a cliff. I had a bit of insight to offer but as I paused in my typing, my thought just evaporated. As I say, It fell of a cliff.

I try to not let these events bother me. They are common and getting frustrated just makes matters worse.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 06:07 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I have gotten my daughter to start using these also and she says they do help. I think whatever helps you get through the day more easily is in good order.
kikimoma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote