Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 02:46 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Extreme sensitivity to noise

Hi, I am new on here, just registered. I have read quite a few posts and send you all hope and positivity for peace and healing - this is my second bout of PCS and only sufferers know the true agony of this......

I had a horse riding accident three years ago and got PCS but gradually made a really good recovery over time, with the last year being pretty much back to 'normal'.

I was then unfortunately rear ended whilst stationery just over 3 months ago. Initially I thought I was fine and then the old familiar symptoms came back.....only this time I have some new ones!

I was doing ok, recovering gradually over the last three months and then 2 weeks ago I was overcome by extreme fatigue and noise sensitivity, to the extent that I can barely get out of bed some days, and all everyday noises are painful to my head and ears.

Did any of you experience these kind of relapses a few months in?

I also have terrible nightmares and poor quality sleep. I have noticed positive comments about elavil for this? Any other suggestions?

I am doing the usual acupuncture, cranial osteopathy, massage, etc, but still have terrible head and neck pain at times. I have stopped taking ibuprofen as I understand this can cause rebound headaches and tinnitus (which got a lot worse when the noise sensitivity started)

Thanks all, I am a little desperate!

Whilst I know, from experience, that this does get better and ease with time, I have some very lonely, scared moments where I feel like I can't cope.

I didn't have such long relapses first time round. Whilst I would have bad days, there was always a better day round the corner but I see no sign of coming out of this 2 week relapse!

I am due to return to work next week after the holidays and have no idea how I am going to cope energy wise if I continue to feel like this.....

Thank you!
UKgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-01-2011, 03:30 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well I'm in the same boat. I only had one accident 4 months ago. I've had tinnitis since the first month. But just recently that got worse along w noise sensitivity...although other symptoms got better like light sensitivity.

I think the holidays were just overwhelming and now just waiting for the kids to go back to school and things to quiet down. My noise sensitivity got worse 2 weeks ago too and I'm using earplugs more often.

So how long did your first accident take to get over??

Can you watch tv or go on the computer?? I can't ..get this weird feeling and then back of head hurts. I'm writing this via my blackberry
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:42 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, thanks for responding. I also found that light sensitivity has got better too, but the noise sensitivity a lot worse.........tinnitus is very normal and this pretty much completely went several months after my first injury.

The holidays are noisy and stressful! I tried going to a show on boxing day and had to leave, it was unbearable! My sense is that this will ease over time. Certainly my noise sensitivity completely resolved after my first injury...........

In terms of how long it took to get over my first injury, I would say that things were pretty difficult for the first six months, and then some quite rapid improvements came. I started a relationship nine months after the injury and apart from the occasional headache and some fatigue, I was pretty much back to normal. But I would also say that I continued to improve and get better and better, even in the third year.

As I am writing this I am feeling more hopeful!

It is really important to carry on a normal life as much as you can, and not obsess about symptoms - I know this is not always easy. I live on my own and do have very dark times when I continually think about them and research them.

Things that I find really helpful are acupuncture, cranial osteopathy, massage, including self massage esp round the neck and head. I also use a wheat pillow that you heat up in the microwave to put on my neck and back.

I can watch tv and go on the computer, but not for too long, it makes me tired. That will ease for you I am sure.......

Another thing that really helps is going for short walks and looking at the world around me - we get very inward looking when we are ill............

You will get much better, 4 months is quite early on for a concussion. The brain takes a while to heal. My doctor explained that it gets bruised and takes quite a while to heal.

It's important to remind yourself that this is temporary, and you will get much better.

Before I had this second injury, I was dancing, partying, travelling, having late nights, etc, etc.

A book that really helps me is Brainlash by Gail Denton. Gail also offers telephone counselling sessions - I have had a couple and they have been really helpful. Gail suffered a concussion herself many years ago.

Let me know how you get on!

Oh and by the way, rest is incredibly important for the brain, so if your brain is telling you it's tired, it's good to listen, and just rest. This element of recovery is very tedious, but the brain can't heal if we continually use it!

All the best

Can you watch tv or go on the computer?? I can't ..get this weird feeling and then back of head hurts. I'm writing this via my blackberry[/QUOTE]
UKgirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Uk PCS Accountant (10-10-2012)
Old 01-03-2011, 06:07 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused Another one?

I had at least 6 concussions within a year only 3 were major.

My question is are you sure that you did not bump or jostle your head again?

My last concussion was not a bump, but I was sledding and just from going over the bumps I re-injured my head.
I didn't think I could call it another concussion because I thought that meant only when you hit it, but actually just as much damage can be done through intense jostling.
Jumping rope, jumping and landing hard, falling, slight bump into a cabinet door, anything that touched your head or caused a vibration up to your head could be the cause of another concussion.

I hope this might give you a clue as to the cause, for me that was one of the major things, knowing I wasn't weird, knowing that something out of my control caused it, and knowing that there was not much I could do to help it except try not to hit my head again.
Patience, that is the thing I have tried to learn...hard lesson!

Good Luck
Merry Christmas!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There are many was the brain can suffer without a direct impact. The term is subconcussive impact. The basics of subconcussive impact are simple.

A concussion will be noticeable with symptoms right away. Some are only at the time of the impact. Others may show up latter.

A subconcussive impact usually has no immediate symptoms. There may be a slight jostling of the head or sustained time of shaking of the head as in a rough ride down the road or bumpy sled ride.

No matter what the medical community says, these subconcussive impact are just as dangerous as serious concussive impacts. In fact, they are often more dangerous because they are often overlooked. When a number of subconcussive impacts are combined, they can be devastating.

One does not need to suffer a subconcussive impact to cause a return of PCS symptoms. Any kind of stress to the brain can cause a relapse (decompensation). Stressful work load, noisy environment, bright or flashing lights, fever or any form of illness, emotional stresses, poor diet, chemical insult (alcohol and other drugs), lack of sleep, sleep with poor breathing, high altitude (snow skiing a high mountain), airplane travel for a few hours or more duration, can all cause stress on the brain.

It is difficult to pinpoint the cause of a relapse in many situations although daily work load is a likely cause.

The problem with subconcussive impacts are they are cumulative. They cause minor injuries to accumulate to a point where they can become permanent injuries. Research shows a greater risk of permanent and/or long term symptoms from an accumulation of subconcussive impacts that from an infrequent concussion with time spent recovering.

The Christmas holiday period has always been a difficult time for me. There is so much noise and other stresses that even if I try to avoid them I still have a lousy month or two.

Now, we have time to try to rest up and recover.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:11 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default UKGirl's situation

Hi UK Girl,

Thanks for sending us hope and positivity for peace and healing. I am sure we could all use it.

What a drag having a second concussion after having make a good recovery the first time round! You must have thought you were finally free of it and then someone rear-ends you when you are stationary (which also happened to me). I suppose at least you know the ropes and know that the condition can improve.

I think that amitriptyline (Elavil) would be worth trying as it helps both headaches and can give a better night's sleep. Your doctor should prescribe it. Mine did and I am also from the UK. You could start off with 10mg nightly and work up till you find a dose that gives you some benefit but does not knock you out too much during the day. I tried up to 25mg but found that I just couldn't function due to feeling sleepy so I brought it back down again. You can cut the pills up to make intermediate doses.

Only you know your situation and conditionl but from what you write regarding how you feel at the moment and your energy levels I think that you should take sick leave from work. Ultimately that might benefit your employer. It doesn't help anyone if you struggle on, get worse and then have to take more time off later. At least phone in and explain the situation to them.

I hope your relapse is now over and that you are on the mend again, but, if not, I do not think the way to get over a relapse is to go back to work.

I hope you are on the mend and I wish you a speedy recovery.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKgirl View Post
Hi, I am new on here, just registered. I have read quite a few posts and send you all hope and positivity for peace and healing - this is my second bout of PCS and only sufferers know the true agony of this......

I had a horse riding accident three years ago and got PCS but gradually made a really good recovery over time, with the last year being pretty much back to 'normal'.

I was then unfortunately rear ended whilst stationery just over 3 months ago. Initially I thought I was fine and then the old familiar symptoms came back.....only this time I have some new ones!

I was doing ok, recovering gradually over the last three months and then 2 weeks ago I was overcome by extreme fatigue and noise sensitivity, to the extent that I can barely get out of bed some days, and all everyday noises are painful to my head and ears.

Did any of you experience these kind of relapses a few months in?

I also have terrible nightmares and poor quality sleep. I have noticed positive comments about elavil for this? Any other suggestions?

I am doing the usual acupuncture, cranial osteopathy, massage, etc, but still have terrible head and neck pain at times. I have stopped taking ibuprofen as I understand this can cause rebound headaches and tinnitus (which got a lot worse when the noise sensitivity started)

Thanks all, I am a little desperate!

Whilst I know, from experience, that this does get better and ease with time, I have some very lonely, scared moments where I feel like I can't cope.

I didn't have such long relapses first time round. Whilst I would have bad days, there was always a better day round the corner but I see no sign of coming out of this 2 week relapse!

I am due to return to work next week after the holidays and have no idea how I am going to cope energy wise if I continue to feel like this.....

Thank you!
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote