Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 10:05 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Acdf c5-6 c6-7

Hi I am new to this site. I had ACDF C5-6 C6-7 on 12/9/2010. I had excessive swelling I think due to the protein that was placed in the cage that went in-between the vertebra where the disk once was. Surgeon finally put me on a 5 day pack of steroids after suffering for 5 days in the hospital (did not expect the length of stay or problems swallowing). I also have a plate and screws holding everything in place. At this point I still feel as if I have a lump in my throat and can eat almost everything, just not bread, chicken and meat. Anyone else have these issues. I only wore a hard collar for a few days and then a soft collar. At 3 weeks the surgeon said that I did not have to wear the soft collar anymore - I still wear it when I try to sleep or I am in a car. I am still sleeping in the recliner. Each time I try to sleep in my bed I wake up throughout the night and am ache and have more muscle spasms. How long did this last for others. I still have very limited rotation in my neck. I can move a bit to the left and down and almost nothing up or to the right. When does this change? I drive only short distances 1 -2 miles. Not sure when I will feel comfortable driving longer. I would like to think about going back to work as a teacher, but need to drive 25 - 30 minutes. Any thoughts from people who have gone through the process. Thanks for your help and insight.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ Forgive me, as I haven't had this done, but a friend of mine has, and I must say that you are still in the very early healing stages! I doubt if your doc will release you back to work yet, will he?

What I know is this - my friend told me that before he felt anywhere NEAR his old self again, it was a YEAR after surgery. You have an awful lot of healing to do yet. They won't even know if you've begun to fuse until after a year's time. I'm sure you'll be released to go back to work before then, but now is too soon to be thinking about it. Just one wrong move, or someone rear-ending you and all that misery is undone.

As far as the swallowing, no chicken, etc., I have another friend who has that problem and come to find out they put in a plate that was TOO BIG for her. It makes me wonder if that isn't what happened to you!! Now they are telling her that her problem is permanent, even if they remove the plate -- because they've permanently ruined the mechanism that closes the windpipe when you swallow -- so she can't eat regular food. It has to be soft foods. I certainly hope your plate isn't too big.

If you think something is wrong, make an appointment with your surgeon. It's better to find out for sure, than to worry about it. Best of luck and God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk

I realize that being almost 5 weeks post surgery (Thursday) is early, but I have made so much progress. The first 6 days were horrible until I had the steroids. Then I made so much progress for the next 5 days. I do not have as many muscle spasms as I did earlier. My surgeon is quite liberal. I only wore a hard collar for 2 days and then a soft collar. Now I only wear the soft collar if I feel my neck is tired, sleeping, in a car or taking a walk outside. The swallowing is much better. I still drink a lot of water when eating certain foods like chicken or bread products. Haven't had red meat, a sandwich or a burger yet. But I can live with that for now. I don't want to wait a year to feel like myself. I hope to be fused before that. I have to wear a bone stimulator 4 hours a day which is suppose to help you fuse within 6 months. I'm hopeful. I had a 2 week check up in the office because I didn't want to wait any longer. They were very accommodating. I have called my surgeon a few times and spoken to them. They have said any time I feel I want to come in, I can. One of the reasons I choose this surgeon was because he actually listened to what I had to say and was willing to work with me, plus he had an outstanding reputation. I'm a teacher and I am concerned about being bumped into by the kids (4th grade). But I am a bit of a klutz and I am more concerned that I will bump into a desk while walking around the room. I am also concerned with the amount of time I will need to look down at books and kids work. I also have limited rotation and flexibility. Did your friend say how long it took him to be able to turn to the right and left and feel comfortable to drive. Currently I drive within 2 miles of my house to go to the supermarket. Any farther I let my son drive. Thanks for your insight. Gail

[/COLOR]

Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM #4
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi French

Hi French, I had C3-7 done, and alot of other stuff so I can relate. Yes I still have trouble swallowing, and still need lots of water to eat a meal. I was told at check up that this is normal. OK so it is now 5 months, same swallow problem, I go tomorrow and will ask PCP about it again. This was the second throat cut I had. I also am loaded with thyroid nodules so I don't know exactly yet where the issue is. Tell your drs. again. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:54 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy

How long did it take you to have enough rotation/flexibility to feel comfortable to drive. This Thursday will be 5 weeks post surgery. I feel pretty good. Only have muscle spasms or a sore neck in the back right about the shoulders when I do too much. I still wear the collar at those times and if I am out of the house. I would love to go back to work, I am a teacher. But I need to drive about 30 minutes each way and will have to feel comfortable looking down quite a bit and looking around the room. Thanks for your reply!