Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Audio books!!!

I just thought I'd post here and let others know.

My daughter suffered a TBI 12/9/10 and still is light and noise sensitive and has headaches most days. She was getting very bored and i suggested we try Audio books to help her pass time.

She can do this. She has to be in a quiet room with no background noise. This is because headphones are still too much stimuli for her to handle. We play the book on a CD player at a low volume. She listens for an hour at a time and then takes a break. She goes back to it after a half hour off.

She is a highly intelligent person who was lacking stimulation due to the PCS. Now she has an enjoyable outlet. This is helping her with her depressoin also.

I thougt I'd pass it along to others who might be experiencing the same symptoms and situation as my daughter.

There are Free Audio books available on the internet. So you do not even have to go to the library. Get someone to download them for you and enjoy.
kikimoma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MarileeG (01-14-2011)

advertisement
Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Audio books sound great for those who can process the story lines. Some of us have trouble keeping track of story lines, characters, and the myriad of details. If the audio book is too much information, don't get stressed. Try different books with different writing styles. You may find an author whose style you can handle.

I need the Readers' Digest or Cliff Notes version. Even Readers' Digest versions can have too many details to remember or process. I used to read Readers' Digest cover to cover. I had to stop subscribing because I got overwhelmed by the details in some of the stories/articles. In the last 10 years, many magazines have changed their editorial style to appeal more to a woman's taste by including much more descriptive writing styles. Even Popular Mechanics made this change.

As you try to find writings that are workable, notice the best writings and you should be able to find more from the same author.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I can't keep up with a 10 minute audio let alone a whole book! And whatever I heard in the first hour would be gone by the time I started the next part.

Glad it is good for your daughter.
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:07 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm sorry these do not work for you Mark and Roadrunner but there are others that might benefit from the suggestion. There are different degrees of PCS and different associated proplems for each sufferer. There are things that you can do that my daughter cannot and vice-versa.

We all have to try different things to see what works for us. I hope you both have a wonderful day and that you continue to improve.
kikimoma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default thanks

hi kiki welcome

thanks for this, if it helps your daughter and you are not over doing it them all good

it may not matter if she can follow the plot or not, its keeping her brain active after a brain injury its important to not overwhelm damaged area as this can cause a kind of burn out of adjacent structure's this happened to me, , white matter scarring is a little known or understood aspect of brain injury

best wishes and slow and steady youth is on her side
vini is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote