Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 01:38 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Confused SCS - T8-11 - Mid-thoracic injury

Hi everyone - this is my first time on a forum of any type so if I do it wrong forgive me - I have suffered in silence for 16 yrs since a Doctor of Osteopathy placed his right hand against my right T 8-12 and placed his left hand on my right shoulder with his forearm over my mouth and twisted me nearly 180 degrees to the left until my thoracic spine was avulzed (sp?) tearing all the tiny muscles, tendons, ligaments holding that part of my spine together - I had a slight injury there which was compounded by 1000 after this treatment.

I could not breathe any deeper than my very upper lungs for 8weeks following and due to certain circumstances was not able to seek other medical care than this doc. The pain along my spine feels sometimes like a broadsword stuck through my spine and sometimes like an ice pick always with sharp breathtaking mind numbing pain. My diaphram and rib cage were displaced to the left as well so the intercostals wrapping around to my sternum are also in constant state of pain and spasm. Even a very light touch is painful. I did not receive an MRI until 2007 because no doc would believe that my pain was mid-thor and not predominately cervical or lumbar.

MRI showed herniation at c-4-5 thrust forward toward throat, 3 herniations at T 8-11 with disks thrust forward toward sternum, and s1-L5 herniation. After years of self-care, suffering in silence due to some weird belief in toughness, alternative medicine and stripping the mucosal layer from my colon from eating aspirin like candy (allergic to Motrin), I read about the brain damage chronic pain causes and finally went to a pain mgmt doc in 2007 because I recognized the symptoms of deterioration in my own cognition.

She wanted to inject me with steroids which I rejected. There is a mass about the size of my top thumb joint very very deep slightly to the right of T-8-11 which has only been articulated by 2 people who had the patience to spend 45 minutes opening the guarding muscles to get down to it. I have asked for an injection of lidocaine only into the mass just to see the result but have been refused; my belief is that a steroid will irritate the existing scar tissue rather than help.

I finally asked for pain killers in 2008 after the MRI due to the inability to concentrate during trading day and my inability to do any activity after a day of sitting in a very expensive ergonomic chair with special mouse controls to trade stocks.

I started at 5-10 mg a day of hydrocodone/tylonol and am now up to 20mg except for partcularly bad days which require 30 mgs. That scares me. I have tried Oxycontin once which made me vomit, plus I know a researcher quite well who has a patent pending on a truly tamper proof narcotic delivery system so I know too much about that class of meds to allow my dosage to go any higher. I was laid off following the market crash (my clients were all safe as I moved them to cash in 2007 when 14k Dow looked outrageous and unsustainable to me - really annoyed the old guys inclduing my boss who had death threats against them) and lost my Cobra 3 months ago.

As a result, my pain doc just dumped me because she claims a new federal law says cash paying patients can't receive pain relief even though I am the poster child for responsible use of narcotic pain meds along with diet, yoga, supplements, hot baths, heating pads, ice, anything to put off taking a pill for another hour. When meds wear off I am flat on my back but changing position every 2 minutes and unable to think straight or sleep due to pain.

Also diagnosed with fibromyalgia in 1987. Neurontin made me dyslexic and unable to sign my own name with correct spelling, I was one of first to use Cymbalta specifically for pain which helped some but then the liver failure reports started. As I age it gets worse and worse and the neuroma has enlarged in size the past few years. A good day is pain level 5-6 bad day is 10+ and nearly zero activity - I am a former ballet dancer and triath competitor and this life is not what I imagined in any way. So that's my sob story. Life sucks. Pain sucks. But I do have loving people in my life or I'd have taken a ride on the bullet train by now.

So, I notice that most of the pain syndromes here are lower back, neck, legs, feet, unknown etc. Is there any one with any experience or knowledge as to whether SCS would help in my situation? Where would it be placed. I don't care about the neck and lower back/limb pain - it is the sword thru the mid-back and wrapping around my right ribs restricting breathing that has me and my brain buzzing and dancing in pain like someone electrocuted.

I am going to see if I can get approved for Medicaide and am going to go to a lawyer about SS disability since no one will hire me for anything due to drug testing requiring me to reveal the injury and physical limitations -I am automatically assumed to be an undisirable employee due to pain meds and the jerks who abuse them-the level of pain meds needed to get through a work day at this point (prob 45-50 mgs just to last from opening to closing bell and still having to lay on the floor every half hour which doesn't go over well at investment banks plus it is hard to adjust computer screens to see from the floor) would put me into a addiction risk level I am not willing to take.

Has anyone had an injury like this and tried SCS? Did it work? Will Medicaide or Medicare pay for it? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Again, this is my first time on any type of forum or social network so forgive me if I told too much or sound like a whiner - I'd rather die than be a whiner. Thank you for listening and for any input you may have.
fairyqueen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 AM #2
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyqueen View Post
I started at 5-10 mg a day of hydrocodone/tylonol and am now up to 20mg except for partcularly bad days which require 30 mgs. That scares me.
Hi fairyqueen,

If you don't mind, why does that scare you?

Quote:
I have tried Oxycontin once which made me vomit, plus I know a researcher quite well who has a patent pending on a truly tamper proof narcotic delivery system so I know too much about that class of meds to allow my dosage to go any higher.
What is it that you know?

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:03 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I don't blame you for not wanting to be on the drugs with Tylenol in them long-term due to the liver damage they cause. What about Methadone? That is a good pain reliever, although you would want to have tests done every 6 months or so to be sure your kidneys are ok. LOL There seems to be some sort of problem with EVERY drug - although I don't think with regular Morphine (MS Contin) there is. At least I haven't heard of anything but there could be. I didn't have much luck with MS Contin as far as pain relief went.

I'm now on the Fentanyl Patch along with Methadone and it's working very well for me when NOTHING else did, including the Spinal Cord Stimulator.

The Spinal Cord Stimulator works best for the neuropathy - but doesn't help much with mechanical pain. It sounds to be like you're having more mechanical pain than neuropathy. You can always have a trial of the SCS and see if it helps. You need to get a referral to a pain management doctor as that is who does the SCS implants. These docs are usually anesthesiologists. Hopefully, you'll be a good candidate!!! You certainly need some relief -- if the SCS didn't work, I'm sure the pain doctor could advise you as to some meds that would work well for you.

God bless and please keep us posted on your progress. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What a story

Dear Fairyqueen,

That is some story. You say you are from NY, if it's Manhattan your first call should be to HSS(Hospital for Special Surgery). From your post you have some major spinal problems and need to be seen by the best. There web site is www.hss.edu. I have had many surgeries there,my husband also, really never had a problem with a thing. I don't want to bother you with our problems. I also see you go to Conneticut also, they have a satelite office in Old Greenich, it's on there web page. If you are up to more information and some of the doctors post to me anytime.

As far as insurance it's a little tricky. But there are ways around that there also.

It's nice to meet you. This is a great site for getting information and meeting some truly great people.

Gabbycakes

I posted this when you first posted your story and for some reason when they moved it mine and quite a few responses to you did not make it over here. So you might want to go back to the new member section and read what did not make it over.
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
scs, thoracic herniation