Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 02-26-2007, 09:21 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A Project I've Been Working On

As many of you know, last year the World Parkinson Congress had an art display called Creativity and Parkinson’s. There were so many great works of art there. I was one of many on this forum selected to display some of my work. For me it was fun. That was the first time any of my work had ever been displayed anyplace besides here at my home. Having my work selected did something to me. It gave me back something I had been missing. It gave me back my self worth. Since PD had forced me to retire in 2001, something had been missing. I felt that everything I enjoyed doing was being stolen away little by little. This let me know I could still contribute and be a part of society.
I felt good enough to purchase a small wood lathe. I knew as long as I was careful I could operate it without any problems. I found that when I get involved in a turning project I could forget I have PD for a while. That usually causes trouble because I forget to take my meds. You know what happens next. Anyhow, I started making Polychromatic Segmented bowls and vases. My friends started seeing them and I gave some away as gifts. Now I can’t keep up with the demand.
The display at the WPC gave me an idea. An art show/auction of works made by people with PD. My plan was to do it nationwide. After looking at it I decided to just try the state of Ohio and see how it goes. Over the last year I’ve have made several mistakes and have had to correct them. Finding sponsors has been a challenge. As of today, I have 600 entries and six sponsors. The art show/auction will be held in April to coincide with National Parkinson’s Month. All proceeds will be donated to Parkinson’s research and the Parkinson’s associations here in Ohio.

GregD
GregD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default That is a fantastic undertaking

The fact that there definitely IS life during Parkinson's disease is a lesson that we should all learn and utilize. Didn't you once have some of your work displayed in one of the PLWP e-zines. If that was you, and if I remember correctly, your craftsmanship produced beautiful pieces of 'art.' Is there any way we can see some of it?

What exactly do the entries and the sponsors do?

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:03 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Michael,
The entries would be the people that have agreed to have thier work in the show/auction. Some have agreed to have more than one item in the show/auction.

The Sponsors are the kind folks that will help out with cost. Four of them are in the healthcare industry and Parkinson's Disease. They will help with the cost of hall rental, security, permits and things of that sort. One is a local newspaper that is donating advertising space in thier newspaper. One is a local radio station that will donate advertising on thier station.

You can see some of my work here: http://www.woodturner.org/photopost/...00&ppuser=3583
As far as I know, none of my work has been in any e-zine.

GregD

Last edited by GregD; 02-27-2007 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add url for pictures
GregD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:01 AM #4
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Grin

oh my goodness greg...they are beautiful! you are a true artisan.

thank you so much for sharing.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:18 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default WOW, WOW and triple WOW

You do beautiful work, Greg. What is your favorite wood? Have you ever worked with acacia wood or rosewood? Do you sell these pieces of art?

michael b.
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What talent you have

Oh how positively lovely.You should be enormously proud of this skill you have.You know something...your work is like a beacon for those who are ready to give up.I don`t just mean with PD...but for all those who need inspiring.
There are many healthy folk who couldn`t produce such treasures...and I don`t just mean beacause of a lack of craftsmanship.I mean that the desire,the fire,the passion isn`t there.You have the lot!!! So beautiful.

"Out of the ashes rises a perfume"

I rest my case.
xxx
steffi 001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:21 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Greg:

I saw your pens at the WPC and they were beautiful. These bowls are true works of art. If there were some way to show closeups so that the wood grain is more visible, I'll bet they would be breathtaking.
Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
Robert

ps, I went back and did the slide show of the bowls where the grain does show. It was just fantastic!
R

Last edited by RLSmi; 02-27-2007 at 10:28 AM. Reason: added ps
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Greg..Your bowls are works of art..Fine craftsmanship, for a fine cause
Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gorgeous

Greg,

your woodworking is amazing!! i remember looking at your pens at the WPC - incredible.

what a terrific project -- thank you for doing this!

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Greg...

too beautiful for words to describe. I did some wood lathing when i was a kid at school and know how frustrating it can be when you try to hurry and the bit "sticks". I was better in machine shop, and made a tack hammer. I liked it so much that my first job out of high school was in the steel working industry.
The fact is , I wish that I could do something like that, but first thing, i have very limited finger and hand motion (something like a chimpanzee's) due to PD and one of my other diseases (arthritis). My hobby is geology (mineral collecting), and you can't "make" anything out of that; it's only for one to achieve a better understanding of how this ball of natural elements that we live on "works".
You are a true "Artist" as is Ron with his silver working and some of the gals (Carol , I think? ) with their sewing skills (forgive me if I haven't mentioned anyone who has talked about their handwork a lot and I should remember).
I should mention that there are other things to "keep you going" and "give you a lift" which is what we need to "temporarily forget" about our PD symptoms. NOw you can't do much with hand's like mine, or go anywhere on trips if you can hardly walk or feel like you will fall if you walk too far, but I would suggest reading about your favorite subjects, if you can't do them yourself.
Keep on going Greg, we are proud of your tenacity, in the light of your disability, and the rest of us, it's true, you can give up if you get too bored.
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote