advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default approved for disability!

I had my disability hearing on jan. 10th and got my decision in the mail on the 15th. so that was quick. does anyone know if your on foodstamps all that time your waiting on disability if you have to pay them back out of your back pay? my friend got all her money within two weeks of her decision so i hope mine is to. I have waited two years for this but according to my decision letter the judge found me disabled 12 mo before my app. date so i guess they are going back a year before i allpied for my disability but i was on a little work comp in that time period so i know i will have to pay the comp back. or at least i think i will. if anyone knows any more info about what kinds of stuff you would have to pay back please let me know. thankyou.
dcartwr66 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Does SSDI know that you were on WC ?

For me, it was that my backpay check from SSDI was less because of WC, but I didn't have to pay anyone back anything.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM #3
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcartwr66 View Post
I had my disability hearing on jan. 10th and got my decision in the mail on the 15th. so that was quick. does anyone know if your on foodstamps all that time your waiting on disability if you have to pay them back out of your back pay? my friend got all her money within two weeks of her decision so i hope mine is to. I have waited two years for this but according to my decision letter the judge found me disabled 12 mo before my app. date so i guess they are going back a year before i allpied for my disability but i was on a little work comp in that time period so i know i will have to pay the comp back. or at least i think i will. if anyone knows any more info about what kinds of stuff you would have to pay back please let me know. thankyou.
Here is a link that may or may not help you. A lot of people say congratulations but I don't think that's the right word, especially when you've just been found very ill, so I like to say I hope your life stays functional.

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...20compensation

Here is a second link that may help also.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10018.html
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Shellback (01-21-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 02:20 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
Here is a link that may or may not help you. A lot of people say congratulations but I don't think that's the right word, especially when you've just been found very ill, so I like to say I hope your life stays functional.http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...20compensation

Here is a second link that may help also.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10018.html

That is a great way of putting it. When I was approved my wife and I were so relieved because we had exhausted all of our savings and my wife's pay was not enough to pay the mortgage, bills and put food on the table and I am too sick to work. SSDI was a blessing for us.
Shellback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
legalmania (01-21-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I appreciate LM's sentiment on that, but many of us are not 'very ill' My life has changed greatly because of TOS, RSD, and fibro, but none of those conditions are going to kill me anytime soon, they just make me physically disabled and unable to work.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
Old 01-22-2011, 04:21 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

TOS, RSD, and fibro all include pain in their symptoms. They are all chronic illnesses. If you have them then you are in pain and are ill longterm. you dont have to die from something for it to be an illness.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

They are chronic medical conditions, not chronic illnesses. Illnesses get better, kill you, or are a reaction to a real or perceievd disease state that cause certain behaviors.

I am a stickler for trying to use the right word at the right time to describe a situation. Disease and illness do not mean the same thing.

from: http://www.differencebetween.net/lan...s-and-disease/

You may have heard about the terms illness and disease on a regular basis. Do the terms mean the same things? Well, almost, but not quite. There is some difference between the usages of the terms, so you should be careful while using them.

Illness and disease both cause the same feelings of discomfort, pain or unease in people. However, an illness is more of a subjective feeling. This means that there is really no identifiable reason behind the condition. Of course, if the condition behind the illness is identified, it is more often referred to as a disease. However, in more generalized terms, we can define an illness as a state where the person has feelings of pain or discomfort that does not have an identifiable reason.

A disease refers to a condition where the body or the parts of the body of a person does not work properly. There is usually a pathological reason behind the condition.

Pathogens are those agents that may cause a disease in a person. For instance; there may be a bacterial or a viral attack on some part of the body that causes feelings of pain and discomfort in the person. It may also include such pain or discomfort that is caused by a particular malfunctioning of the body due to other factors. For instance, mental diseases are diseases that cause the typical symptoms of discomfort and abnormal functioning. However, the reason behind such a condition is rarely related to pathogens. Once the reason behind such discomfort has been identified, it is usually referred to as a disease.

In medical terms, a disease is described as an abnormal condition in any organism that obstructs its bodily function. It may, in rare cases, even cause the death of the person concerned. If we use it in a broader sense, it may even refer to disabilities and injuries, infections and deviant behavior. It is important to note that even the brain is a human organ, and is therefore prone to illnesses and disease. The main effect of a disease is felt when a particular organ of the body or the body as a whole fails to maintain its condition of balance and stability. This condition is referred to in medical terms as homeostasis.

It is important to note that both illness and disease result in more or less the same symptoms. However, an illness can be cured in most cases. For instance, cold, flu or gastrointestinal diseases can be cured by treatment. However, there are a number of diseases that cannot be cured. In medical terms, both are undesirable, as they interfere with the state of homeostasis.

Summary:

1. An illness is a vague condition that causes discomfort or pain. A disease refers to a condition that has established reasons behind it.
2. An illness is mostly curable. There are some diseases that cannot be cured, only managed

Last edited by finz; 01-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:20 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Difference between illness and disease........

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...pg2.html?cat=5

In a previous article I wrote here on Associated Content, I advised first semester nursing students to think like a nurse and not a doctor. This mentality will help student nurses understand the difference
between illness and disease. As a nurse, you will need to diagnose the human response to your patient's medical problem. That is why there are specific nursing diagnoses you will learn and familiarize yourself with. A physician can diagnose a patient as being diabetic (disease.) But if that diabetic patient does not monitor his glucose levels or make necessary changes in his diet, the nurse can diagnose him with risk for unstable glucose levels (illness.) Thus, nursing is concerned with illness while medicine (or a physician) is concerned with disease.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

To simplify, with my condition, if I chose to just stay in bed for the rest of my life because that makes it easier to deal with the pain, I would be ill.

I understand self care. I have learned measures to make my pain more bearable and to maximize my daily functioning. I am not ill.

After Thanksgiving, I had a really bad cold and could barely function, Every cough brought some urinary incontinence and I could barely haul myself to the bathroom to change my pjs. The laundry piled up and I could not even imagine getting well enough to worry about doing the laundry. Then, I was ill.

On a happy note, I spent so much in bed that week, my pain was much better

Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM #10
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes long ago View Post
TOS, RSD, and fibro all include pain in their symptoms. They are all chronic illnesses. If you have them then you are in pain and are ill longterm. you dont have to die from something for it to be an illness.
The term chronic means long term and to not end. People have died from pneumonia that is not a disease but is an illness, and people die everyday from pneumonia. Your right echoes it is all very painful and that is why pharmaceutical companies make billions of pain pills.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/chronic

A disease is a certain part of your body has a condition:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disease

If you have a disease you have an illness, illness is a noun describing disease.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/illness

Last edited by legalmania; 01-22-2011 at 09:33 PM.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote