Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 08:10 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default UBuffalo Concussion Clinic: worth traveling for?

I'm an athlete suffering from PCS for just under a year now.

After about the good results obtained at the University of Buffalo Concussion Clinic, I'm considering become a patient.

I live quite far away, though, and I'm wondering if it's worth traveling for.

Specifically, I am wondering if there's anything more to their protocol than simply determining the heart rate at which your symptoms appear, and then exercising at some increasing fraction of this over time.

At the moment, it sounds like this is something I can do on my own with my doctor and athletic trainer's supervision.

I know it sounds like I'm asking for the Caramilk secret, but it really is an issue of money (or lack of it) and travel (long distance travel exacerbates symptoms) for me.

I'd love to hear your experience with this clinic. Thanks!
ConcussedJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-24-2011, 10:31 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Personally, I think the "Do it with your local doctors help" is adequate. I don't think Buffalo has any special concoction to offer beyond the exercise protocol.

The Buffalo goal is return to play, not heal the brain. One needs to consider 'return to play' issues carefully. The risk of a repeat impact to the head must be paramount. The Buffalo protocol does nothing to help understand this risk.

I continue to be amazed at how many athletes refuse to be influenced by the risk of a following impact to their brain.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:22 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

At this point, I would settle for not feeling like crap all the time and worry about return to play issues when I do feel better.

That being said, I'd like input from those who have been or are in the program. PM me if you like.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

What 'feeling like crap' symptoms are you struggling with the most?

There are different things you can do to help with different symptoms. There are a lot of nutritional needs of a concussed brain. Think of it as polluted from the concussion. You need to get the pollution out and good nutrition in.

There are activities and foods to avoid and those that will help. The exercise protocol will help get blood flowing to the brain at maximum rate without causing symptoms. It will help but the nutritional needs musty be met to get maximum healing at the fastest time.

You can do both without having to be in Buffalo.

To start, get going with B vitamins with a focus on B-6, B-12, niacin, B-2, and also folic acid, Omega-3's, D3, and decent meat protein.

Avoid caffeine, MSG, and aspartame (Equal). They are excito-toxins.

Get good sleep. Avoid all emotional stress and any physical stress that causes symptoms. The anxiety of the frustration of PCS is counter-productive to healing. Stay away from sick people because an illness that causes a fever will be counter to healing.

Accept that your brain has been injured and it will take time to heal. The brain does not heal under stress like bones and muscles can.

Women can benefit from getting their hormones checked. Men's hormones can get knocked out of balance but not as much as women's. Hormones incliude a Thyroid panel. At the same time, a test for B-12 and folate levels is good.

ConcussedJ, How long Post Concussion are you?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:08 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It has been almost a year since I had the concussion. Is there any research on concussion nutrition? I am very interested in finding out more about eating to heal. Since my sport had weight classes, I am used to watching the quality (and quantity) of what goes in my mouth very closely.

My diet has plenty of lean protein, leafy greens and veggies, and very little simple carbohydrates. I supplement with fish oil for omega-3s (at roughly 1.5g EPA, 1g DHA per day) and multivitamin.

I haven't looked at the amount of B-vitamins and folic acid in my diet - what do these help with? I may be a little deficient since I don't eat much carbs (and therefore not much in the way of grains), but I think my multivitamin may help out there.

I will look into having hormone / vitamin tests done; it is time I had a complete physical anyway.

My symptoms are rarely bad enough to confine me to bed all day. I guess I am struggling psychologically with how much my dizziness / nausea / headaches have limited what I can do. Although I am much improved since they were at their worst, it still does not feel good to feel sick all the time. Plus my brain doesn't feel right - I can't describe what the problem is, it just doesn't feel right. The social isolation doesn't help either with feeling good.

I am feeling good enough to exert myself more cognitively and I am finding deficiencies in memory, attention span, and information processing. Is it worth getting a neuropsych test to see how bad these are? I am currently able to read a bit and do some games on Lumosity as therapy.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have never seen a multi-vitamin worth taking. They are better than nothing but are based on RDA. The injured brain needs the B-6, B-12, and folic acid etc. to help it heal and purge the toxins from injury and stress.

Meat protein is important as it has the amino acids needed by the brain. A ultra-low fat diet can be counter-productive. Children can be left neurologically deficient from low fat diets. The brain needs some animal fats.

Whole grains are important due to the natural vitamins in the outer layer. We enjoy a seven grain whole grain bread.

It is rare than any of us with persistent PCS have days in bed. Instead, we have days of struggling to focus, endure noise or visual stimulation, days with no memory, etc.

It is the memory and cognitive struggles that can be lasting and very difficult to resolve.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:53 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

What's a good amount of B-vitamins and D3 (I assume this is a form of vitamin D) to take?

My approach to nutritional supplements is that they are supplements - I should be getting most of my dose of required vitamins and minerals from my diet, and the pill is just an insurance policy. Are you suggesting that I need more than my normal diet + the vitamin combined provide?

Is there a book or a Web site with concussion nutrition that you can recommend?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

A B-50 complex would be a good start. I take a B-100 complex plus add some more B-12 (200 MCG) and B-6 (200 MGS). the folic acid should be in the B-50. It is difficult to get enough B's in your diet, especially when the injured brain needs much more. I take a 2500 IU of D3. Unless you are a sun worshiping nudist, it is hard to get enough D from sun exposure.

I can tell the difference when I am not on my vitamin regimen. My wife can too. She will ask, "Have you been taking your vitamins?" It changes how I respond to stress, etc.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:24 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Well, given that we're currently in the depths of winter and buried under two feet of snow up here right now, chances are that I would need my vitamin D supplements even if I were a sun-worshipping nudist!

Thanks for your help Mark.