Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 12:01 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Risky surgery

I also suffer from numbness, tingling and a lot of pain in my legs and feet. Numbness and tingling in both arms. I've had six back surgeries. My last mri showed that my spinal steno sis is getting worse. It has been suggested that I have a cord decompression at the T9-10 and T7-8. I know this surgery is very risky, given the area it is affected. Has anyone had this kind of surgery for this particular area.
1021shylah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ There have been people who have had this done, but there are alot of them only because surgeons do NOT like to do this surgery. It is too close to major organs, i.e. heart & lungs. It may even be difficult to FIND a surgeon who WILL do the surgery. It usually takes a bit longer than perhaps a lumbar surgery because it is more risky.

If your spinal cord is compressed, you DO NEED surgery. This isn't really an "optional" surgery -- this is something that you really need to have done before it becomes an emergency -- you could become paralyzed if this is left untreated too long. The stenosis could worsen and cut off the blood flow to the cord - and then it's all over.

So you really don't have much choice, do you?!! I wish you the very best of luck. I'm sure your surgeon will know what he's doing -- just make sure he's done this type surgery before. God bless and let us know how you come out. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote