Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Red face Did TOO much - OUCH

I think I did too much. I have been feeling pretty good since my 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I even thought about going back to work next week as long as I can drive without muscle spasms. We were running out of wood for the fireplace and our area was expecting another foot of snow. My son was getting wood from the pile in the back yard (there is still a good 8 - 10 inches of snow). He was using a tobaggon to drag it from the wood pile to the house then carrying it down into the basement. I wanted to help him, so I did. I tried to limit myself to the 5 pound limit but I failed miserably. I even shoveled a little bit. Now my neck is sore in the back probably by C7 and my lower back is sore. Probably lifted too much weight. I already took a hydrocodone which I haven't done for a long time. I guess boredom and the desire to help got the best of me. Hopefully I will only be sore for a day. I will not shovel any more.We are still suppose to get another 8-12 inches over night. YUCK !!
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I will learn from your mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
I think I did too much. I have been feeling pretty good since my 2 level ACDF on 12/9/2010. I even thought about going back to work next week as long as I can drive without muscle spasms. We were running out of wood for the fireplace and our area was expecting another foot of snow. My son was getting wood from the pile in the back yard (there is still a good 8 - 10 inches of snow). He was using a tobaggon to drag it from the wood pile to the house then carrying it down into the basement. I wanted to help him, so I did. I tried to limit myself to the 5 pound limit but I failed miserably. I even shoveled a little bit. Now my neck is sore in the back probably by C7 and my lower back is sore. Probably lifted too much weight. I already took a hydrocodone which I haven't done for a long time. I guess boredom and the desire to help got the best of me. Hopefully I will only be sore for a day. I will not shovel any more.We are still suppose to get another 8-12 inches over night. YUCK !!
I will try to remember when I'm bored and feeling great 6 weeks post-op what you are feeling right now. I understand your boredom and wanting to do things... guess that's why WSIB doesn't want me back to work until 6 months post-op. I hope you feel better quickly! Try not to over do it too much for a while longer... feel better soon.
cath1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking I'll be more careful

[My son went out at 9:30 and shoveled about 2 inches of small hail. Now he is shoveling about 3 inches of snow and it is only 11PM. Coming down very quickly. Luckily it is a fast moving storm and should be finished between 3-5AM, although we could get an additional 8 inches of snow.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:37 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Good grief~~~ You're lucky you didn't undo everything you had done!!! It's going to be a LONG time before you're able to do any of that stuff - IF your even able to do it at ALL. I know you're going to be given restrictions on lifting, and I doubt you're going to be allowed to do any shoveling at ALL. That's just not good for us spinies.

I guess you'll just have to sit there with your whip and coffee - and delegate! LOL I live alone, so I have to hire all that done. Nuts.

Take it EASY --ok?? I sure don't want to hear that you're back in the hospital!! God bless. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:09 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile A little sore

At this point I am only a little sore. I do not think I was too bad. I really don't want to go through surgery again, so I will be more careful and try an behave myself. I just have such a feeling of helplessness. I used to shovel and do so much that I am having a hard time not being productive. I also feel that I have to do more so that I can gain strength and get back to work. I put in for a substitute for my class for yet another week. Time will tell if I go back to work next Thursday. I want to start then so I only have a 2 day work week. Thanks for your words of advice.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM #6
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

frenchfri1003,

Consider yourself cybersmacked silly! Leesa's right; you could really mess yourself up worse than before by pushing too much too soon.

I get (commiserate) the feelings of not being productive. Right now, being productive is disciplining yourself to recouperate the right way: rest, PT, HEALING!

I'm sure you can find/think of ways of being productive other than physically (at this point). Take the opportunity to do some of those things you can never find time for (providing they're not physically unwise, of course). Write, design, art, sew/craft/quilt, computer work, read, watch all those movies you've been meaning to catch up on. When you're bored with all that, meet the challenge of finding more ways of being productive without physical exertion, then write it all up for other A-types in your situation.

Now do what ya gotta do, but stay away from that SHOVEL!!!

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs Up I have been better

Consider myself reprimanded cyberlly. THe shovel will only be handed to my son who needs alot of pushing (LOL). We have had so much snow and I feel so guilty about not being able to help out at all. I think we have had 7 major storms so far this winter and we are still in January. We are due for another inch today (nothing) then about 3 more inches over the weekend and then there is a prediction for more on Tuesday. This winter is crazy. I am trying to recuperate the right way by completing my stretching exercises, using the 5 pound weights and wearing the cervical stim 4 hours a day. I was not given a script for PT. MY OSS doesn't believe in that until at least the 3 month mark. I just figured I could go back to work at the 4 to 6 week mark. I am not sure due to limited ROM when I can go back to work. I am not at 7 weeks. Thankfully I have enough sick time in order to still receive my paycheck with that I would have gone back regardless of condition. The hold up for me is I can't drive for 20 -30 minutes without getting a muscle spasm or tightness in my neck and should areas. Added to that teaching all day and the drive home, I would be beyond sore. So at least I am behaving myself and not going back to work too soon. I have read posts of people going back between 2 and 5 weeks. I have been trying to catch upon items and doing productive things when I am bored, but can't seem to get enough concentration to complete them.

Thank you for the support and scolding. I will be BETTER
Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I have read posts of people going back between 2 and 5 weeks.
That's fine for guidelines, but don't compare yourself to others or try to compete (get back sooner). Your body is going to heal at its own speed, and that is out of your control.

Rather than feeling guilty about not helping out, I think you should milk it for all it's worth. Sit back, put your feet up, sip on a hot chocolate, smile big, and gloat while everyone else waits on you hand & foot between the shovelling. While you're at it, pile on a little "mother's guilt".... Are you ever going to have another opportunity like this?

Oh.... and stop watching the weather channel....

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking Staying Positive

I hope I never have an opportunity like this again. I have heard that 5 to 10 years down the road above and below the fusion sometimes have issues. Can't help listening to the weather when it is on and the forecast is bad. I am doing my best to stay positive.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Hi French Fri...sounds like it's difficult to tame the wild beast. I live in upstate NY and understand the need to shovel, etc as part of the daily part of living here in the great Adirondacks during winter. Yep...sure has its consequences. My 2 level C5-7 ACDF is 2/7 and I am worried that I too am going to overdo it. Mother nature can sure call the shots. Hope that your pain is well controlled... NO more shovelling! I can totally relate to the boredom and desire to help...you're in the home stretch. Make the best of it. I soon will be there too.
adkpegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote