Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 09:38 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default my offer

Guys/Gals

If you've suffered a concussion and haven't had much luck finding help or havent been able to move forward I want to tell you that after nearly 4 years I feel 99.9% symptom free.

I thank 99.9% of me getting better to my now good friend Dr Stefan Sigalet.

If any of you are from the lower mainland or even North America I am telling you do yourself a favour and book an appointment with him.

I am so confident in his ability I personally will gladly GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK (for your appointment with him) not because im trying to increase his business but because I know what its like to deal with an assortment of doctors/tests and not have any progress. In addition to that he doesnt need anymore business as there is currently a 3 month wait for new patients.

HOWEVER, if you call to book an appointment and mention its a head injury you will get in a lot sooner.

To see how he helped me along please search my other posts and you will see. I literally tell him all the time he saved my life and I really feel like he could help almost anyone!

Anyways if you're optimistic about getting better give him a shot.

Dr Stefan Sigalet
604-524-4959

if you have any questions feel free to PM me here or even PIN me on my blackberry @ PIN# 23708982

Good luck to everyone!
Keep optimistic and keep visiting doctors, dont ever give up on yourself, I never did and Im finally feeling better. This year I actually forgot to "celebrate" the day of my last concussion. New Years eve... the one that altered my life, im hoping by next year I wont even remember it!
Mikeyy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 09:40 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/se...chquery=mikeyy
Old 01-26-2011, 10:56 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Mikeyy,

Glad to hear you are doing so good.

Why don't you give us the condensed version of the therapies and treatments your miracle doctor used to help you heal. Did Dr Sigalet, your chiropractor, do anything besides use the Neuroscience tests to prescribe the supplements? Or the cranial sacral treatments?

As I pointed out before, getting into a routine of good nutrition, including supplements for an injured brain, you can develop a lifelong habit of sound upkeep for your brain at a much lower cost that the NeuroScience supplements.

Four years is plenty of time for the last slow healings and relearnings needed by an injured brain. Only a small percent of PCS subjects have disabling symptoms after 4 years. They may have plenty of nuisance symptoms but not many that disable.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:39 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Mikeyy,

Glad to hear you are doing so good.

Why don't you give us the condensed version of the therapies and treatments your miracle doctor used to help you heal. Did Dr Sigalet, your chiropractor, do anything besides use the Neuroscience tests to prescribe the supplements? Or the cranial sacral treatments?

As I pointed out before, getting into a routine of good nutrition, including supplements for an injured brain, you can develop a lifelong habit of sound upkeep for your brain at a much lower cost that the NeuroScience supplements.

Four years is plenty of time for the last slow healings and relearnings needed by an injured brain. Only a small percent of PCS subjects have disabling symptoms after 4 years. They may have plenty of nuisance symptoms but not many that disable.
Mark again im trying to figure out if you're being genuine or somewhat sarcastic in your comments.

For 11 Months of going around from doctor to doctor and being told I was suffering from things OTHER than PCS I finally came to my "chiropractor" on paper and talked to him about my though of PCS

AFTER THAT FIRST SESSION I IMMEDIATELY NOTICED CHANGE

IF you dont believe in him thats your opinion. Im saying for people who want to give him a try the offer of if they go see him and DONT get any results im willing to pay for their sessions. Its only $45 to see him and the initial is something like $100 but still a lot of people dont want to spend that kind of money.

Im sure you probably dont realize the differences in the guidelines between canadian doctors and US doctors but he became a "CHIROPRACTOR" because he needed something on paper in order to be able to practice. Hes taken 100s of additional courses and classes....

Anyways why dont you call
Todd Bertuzzi
Willie Mitchell
Ray Ferraro
Mike Smith (tampa bay lightning goalie)

and the list goes on for NHLers who are constantly in there to see him regarding PCS and ask them what he does. Its irrelevant. Ask Bertuzzi why he flow Sigalet to Buffalo to treat him.

Anyways I did this post to offer some sort of escape for people who are at their wits end wwith wasting $ and being frustrated by not getting better. I believe he can HELP almost anyone, of course everyones case is different.

So if you're like me and want to get healthy go see him
If not good luck whichever way you go.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
Mikeyy,
I felt like a COMPLETE BAG OF GARBAGE DAY IN AND DAY OUT until I started seeing him. I actually got the neuroscience test from the doctor who was doing the prolo in my neck and that also seemed to help immensely. Im glad you can find a cheaper alternative to the supplements. They worked great for me so the $500 I spent in total on them doesnt bother me.

Im not here to try to sell anyone anything, nor am I hear to be grilled for things you dont believe to work, Everyones case is different but everything I did seemed to help and it all started with him. From there I listened to things he siad, did more research and found out things like HBOT and RTB on my OWN.

I have sent in at least 15 friends of my own with a VARIETY of problems from groin pulls, to seperated shoulders, to concussions and wouldnt you know it they all came out with the same opinion.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 AM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sorry I touched such a nerve. I was asking for a genuine answer. There are many here who were not here when you were posting. While you have been gone, there has been plenty of discussion about using chiros, especially Upper Cervical Chiros who help with the C-1/Atlas subluxations that can cause so many of the PCS symptoms and are frequently caused by head impacts.

There are plenty of pros who use a wide variety of treatments. The big question is: Which treatment was the effective one?

Prolotherapy has no use for PCS. It may help with joint/connective tissue injuries but has no use with PCS. I dread the patient who allows a prolotherapist to inject an inflammatory antagonist near their brain.

I can see its value with sports injuries. There is a sports medicine technique that uses the inflammatory reaction to stressing the injured tissue to enhance healing. It was pioneered by Richard Stedman, M.D. of the Stedman Vail Clinic back when his office was in Los Gatos CA and consulting to the US Ski Team.

Cranial Sacral Therapy has a wide range of applications and techniques but none address PCS. The spinal manipulations may be helpful with neck issues that manifest as overlapping with PCS. Some DO's have developed excellent manipulative skills through their Cranial Sacral training. They often develop their own variety of CST from their personal experience with patients.

Regarding the NeuroScience protocol, $500 is a chunk of change for many of us. Plus, the Pharmasan Labs lab work is expensive and rarely covered by insurance. Treating the brain and body holistically with good nutrition and supplements creates a lasting benefit beyond the short term value of an expensive NeuroScience protocol.

I would be surprised if you don't need to restart the NeuroScience protocol after a time of illness or stress. Your brain has been compromised and will be easily injured in the future. My regimen keeps me quite stable through thick and thin. As an added value, I rarely get sick. When you reach your 40's and your PCS returns, you will better understand what I mean.

btw, I bet a thorough NeuroPsych Assessment will show that you still exhibit PCS symptoms. Glad they are not prominent in your life.

My best to you.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark in Idaho,

I wanted to contact you directlly but i'm new to this forum and not sure how to. I've read some of your posts and it appears that through your experience you are greatly informed on post concussion syndrome and i'm hoping you can help me out.
In December of 2009 i suffered a semi severe concussion durring a basketball game. A very large player on the opposing team who was about 6 foot 5 and 260 pounds was swinging his elbos aggressivly in a skirmish underneath the basket, and i got popped in between the nose and mouth.
My mother was not at the game so when i told she asked me if i blacked out. I said i did not, but she also asked one of my team mates and supposely i rested my head on his shoulder for a few minutes and it concerned him.
I have many friends who have had concussions and i did not think mine was very severe so after sitting out for a while i went back into the game, and played in a game the folowing day (i know now that was very ignorant)

Despite playing the next day i seemed to be ok untill several months later. my short term memory was terrrible, i often could not remember what i did the day before. my mind and body seemed sort of disconnected, i could't really comprehend what was going on. My brain seemed foggy and i felt like i just needed to shake it up and everything would fall back in place. Also at times i would experience almost no emotion and then rarely i would be extremely emotional.

When i first experienced these symptoms i was in a state of panic in confusion. i had no idea what was wrong untill i read up on post concussion syndrome. My symptoms soon got milder untill i drank with my friends. The following morning the symptoms returned.
I started drinking with my friends about 6 months before my concussion and we would drink just about every weekend. After i realized that drinking enhanced my symptoms i would stop for about a month and then see if it would happen again. Which it did every time. I had a streak of 3 months untill i blew it this new year.

i also played football in hs and often led with my head i may of had many minor concussions which contribted to my post concussion syndrome.
My current plan for recovery is not to drink anymore, get plenty of sleep, and take my vitamins (i am currently taking b12, omega 3s, vitamin d and a multi vitamin that promotes brain health. If you know of any others let me know) is there any thing else i can do?

On another post i noticed you said something about a specific chiropractor to go to if you suffered from whiplash. Whiplash ded not cross my mind untill i read that and i realized i definitely experienced it. a couple months ago i was doing push ups and on my last set i did as much as i could and when i stood up i had sharp pain in my lower head/ upper neck. it was one of the most painfull experiences of my life. Does that have anything to do with an injured neck/ head?? Do you think i have a good chance of recovery?
Thank you so much for your time i appreciate any input. It is nice to know that i'm not alone.
shov11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:53 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

shov11,

The first thing you need to understand is that during your football years, you likely (according to statistics) suffered hundreds if not thousands of sub-concussive impacts. These are impacts that are relatively mild without any immediate symptoms but cumulatively are far more damaging that the occasional full concussion.

The problems that arise from sub-concussive impacts are slow and late appearing. You sound like a classic case.

The alcohol problem supports this idea, too. My doctor at 16 told me to stay away from alcohol completely. When in college, I had a full glass of beer because there was still pizza available but I was out of cash for a soft drink. Boy did I pay for that beer the next day. If left me messed up the whole next day.

The research I've read suggests a simple glass of wine a day should be the max.

You vitamin regimen is a good start. A multi for brain health can be grossly under in the amounts needed. Brain health and stress are marketing terms more than they are a listing of ingredients. You will be best to get some blood work done. You need to determine if you are B-12 deficient. Many people just do not absorb B-12 properly.

A blood test for B-12, folate, D3, and hormones will be good. The B-12 and folate should be in the high end of the normal range for someone whose brain has been compromised. Thyroid can also be good to have checked.

You also need to understand that many PCS symptoms do not show up for quite some time, even a month or two later. It is part of how the brain does clean-up after an injury. It takes time before the brain decides what malfunctioning parts need to be shut down. Then it shuts them down and any areas nearby.

If you continue to struggle with memory and such, it may help to get a neuro-psychological assessment. An NP Assessment can define what problems are real and what are just a bit of over-reacting to an occasional mental block. They can be expensive but are worth their weight in gold if they help you understand what is going on.

You are already ahead of the game since you have made a choice to change your behavior. Good for you.

Once you have posted enough times to the forum, you will get access to Private Messaging.

My best to you.

Last edited by Mark in Idaho; 01-29-2011 at 09:52 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 01:22 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Chiropractic etc.

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for the offer!
It is pretty cool that having recovered almost 100% you are trying to get some of the rest of us to follow along the same road.

Some of us live a long way from British Columbia though. I myself am from England, so going to see your chiro isn't a realistic option even if you are generously prepared to refund the treatment cost if it doesn't work.

So, I would kind of quite like to know which treatments you tried and which you think might be beneficial.

I have tried chiropractic and found that it didn't really help, but that might depend hugely on the chiropracter. There is quite a bit of variation in what they do. I also tried a manipulative physiotherapist who concentrated on the neck C1, C2, C3. I think that she was onto something and it did help with my neck but it didn't solve the main problems.

So, I would be curious to know what you tried and what you think might have worked, although I can see that if a therapist tries a range of treatment is might not be obvious what did actually cause the benefit. I guess you just trust in that therapist and you are grateful that he managed to help you.

All the best.

CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyy View Post
Guys/Gals

If you've suffered a concussion and haven't had much luck finding help or havent been able to move forward I want to tell you that after nearly 4 years I feel 99.9% symptom free.

I thank 99.9% of me getting better to my now good friend Dr Stefan Sigalet.

If any of you are from the lower mainland or even North America I am telling you do yourself a favour and book an appointment with him.

I am so confident in his ability I personally will gladly GIVE YOU YOUR MONEY BACK (for your appointment with him) not because im trying to increase his business but because I know what its like to deal with an assortment of doctors/tests and not have any progress. In addition to that he doesnt need anymore business as there is currently a 3 month wait for new patients.

HOWEVER, if you call to book an appointment and mention its a head injury you will get in a lot sooner.

To see how he helped me along please search my other posts and you will see. I literally tell him all the time he saved my life and I really feel like he could help almost anyone!

Anyways if you're optimistic about getting better give him a shot.

Dr Stefan Sigalet
604-524-4959

if you have any questions feel free to PM me here or even PIN me on my blackberry @ PIN# 23708982

Good luck to everyone!
Keep optimistic and keep visiting doctors, dont ever give up on yourself, I never did and Im finally feeling better. This year I actually forgot to "celebrate" the day of my last concussion. New Years eve... the one that altered my life, im hoping by next year I wont even remember it!
Concussed Scientist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:43 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark in Idaho

Thank you very much. I was also wondering what kind of physical activity i can participate in? I heard you telling someone else that your heart rate should't get to high. Can i play basketball, lift weights, run ...?
I know that a healthy body can help support a healthy mind, and athletics has always been a big part of my life and it helps me feel good.
Also what are your thoughts on whiplash? would you reccomened that i see a chiropractor?
Thanks again for your help.
shov11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote