Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Question Soft Elizabethan Collar...E-Collar

I have the most wonderful, wonderful little Pit-bull named Lola. We have had her for almost two years. Since we got her she has had a horrible itching problem. The vet tested her for everything and found nothing wrong. He felt it could be a food allergy. We have tried a few brands and then the Humane Society gave us a list of great dog foods. They also gave us a list of pros and cons and how to grade a dog food before you buy it. If anyone would like a copy of this list just PM me and I'll send along. Today we are going out to hopefully find something better.

She has been wearing the E-collar for many months. Its not easy...I have seen online that there is a soft E-collar...has anyone used this collar...good or bad???

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (01-28-2011)

advertisement
Old 01-27-2011, 08:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

When I had my pup spayed, I found an inflateable e collar at Petco. Spookie was 5lbs at that time, a hard collar just would not have worked. She is a Maltese.

My Aussie was allergic to spring. He got Benadryl.

Your baby may have inhaled allergies. Think carpet, smoke, house things. Try a grain free food. Pricey, but may help. Or go poultry free food, including treats.
Lara (01-28-2011), tamiloo (02-01-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 09:27 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Soft E-Collars

I feel for you, tamiloo! We have a lab mix with allergies, and the food really does seem to be the root cause for allergies. We had to use trial and error to find a food that worked, and Honest Kitchen mixed with Canidae is what worked for us. Kind of pricey, though. It could be something totally different that works for your pup.

I've used a couple of the soft e-collars to prevent itching, including the Comfy Cone and the Cuddle Cone. Both are better alternatives to the plastic cone, but the Comfy Cone was a little too floppy for us, and had a mildewy smell when it got wet. The Cuddle Cone is great, but can only be found online (as far as I can tell). **It is a fantastic cone, though, lined with fleece and very comfortable for our dog to sleep, eat, etc.

Best of luck to you and Lola!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiloo
I have the most wonderful, wonderful little Pit-bull named Lola. We have had her for almost two years. Since we got her she has had a horrible itching problem. The vet tested her for everything and found nothing wrong. He felt it could be a food allergy. We have tried a few brands and then the Humane Society gave us a list of great dog foods. They also gave us a list of pros and cons and how to grade a dog food before you buy it. If anyone would like a copy of this list just PM me and I'll send along. Today we are going out to hopefully find something better.

She has been wearing the E-collar for many months. Its not easy...I have seen online that there is a soft E-collar...has anyone used this collar...good or bad???

Last edited by Chemar; 01-26-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: NT Guidelines on New Member Linking
sdpetprojects is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (02-01-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 AM #4
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiloo
I have seen online that there is a soft E-collar
There's also an inflatable Kong Cloud Collar that's less intrusive. Our first dog had allergies; fleas, hay fever, wool.... most she grew out of.

Our current Lab has been itching for the first time since we got him (2-1/2 yrs), but we're not convinced it's allergies yet; so far he just seems to have dry skin, so we're trying some shampoos first. The first one worked, but only for a few days.

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (02-01-2012)