advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I wonder if the checks will be on time(weather)?

I get mine(SSDI) from Kansas City and we have a blizzard warning for tonight at 7pm until Wednesday night at 7pm. Suppose to get it on the third. If its a day late,no biggie. If the airports are closed,can't see receiving it on time. I am old school-don't care for direct deposit-don't write checks. I'm a poor bookkeeper.
Babyboomer15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-01-2011, 02:57 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 View Post
I get mine(SSDI) from Kansas City and we have a blizzard warning for tonight at 7pm until Wednesday night at 7pm. Suppose to get it on the third. If its a day late,no biggie. If the airports are closed,can't see receiving it on time. I am old school-don't care for direct deposit-don't write checks. I'm a poor bookkeeper.
I highly recommend direct deposit. My check is never late, and in fact is early when the deposit date is near a week-end or holiday. Why subject yourself to the whims of weather and the USPS? And "old school" means still writing checks since most people pay bills online or by debit card.

I hope you have adequate food, water, and heat. . . .I hear it has the potential to be rather nasty.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
I highly recommend direct deposit. My check is never late, and in fact is early when the deposit date is near a week-end or holiday. Why subject yourself to the whims of weather and the USPS? And "old school" means still writing checks since most people pay bills online or by debit card.

I hope you have adequate food, water, and heat. . . .I hear it has the potential to be rather nasty.
As long as the power stays on,I will be ok.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have such a hard time getting out to the bank or atm, I couldn't do without direct deposit.

I understand the 'old school' mentality though......my husband won't get direct deposit or use an atm.....even though his 93 yo dad does !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:34 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If I'm not mistaking direct deposit will be the norm very soon. Another words the day is fast approaching SS will no longer mail checks.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Direct deposit or debit cards will probably be required by 2013.

http://www.examiner.com/us-headlines...direct-deposit

Mailing you a check every month costs about 70 cents or so for paper, post office costs, printers. Sending it electronically costs about 7 cents. Doesn't sound like much, but multiply that times the number of months you will get checks in your lifetime times the number of Social Security and SSI beneficiaries there are in the US, and you can see that direct deposit does save the government money. It may be a tiny fraction of the deficit problems the US has, but why not do what you can to save the government money?

Also, if for some reason you don't get a check or your check is suspended for some reason, it takes about a week to get a paper replacement and about two days for an electronic replacement. Also, direct deposit cuts down on fraudulent reports of "I didn't get my check" since the bank has to agree that the check was not received. Also saves the government money.

If you use a debit card or direct deposit , you can go to the bank on the check delivery day and withdraw it all in cash, if that is they way you like to do business.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Direct deposit or debit cards will probably be required by 2013.

http://www.examiner.com/us-headlines...direct-deposit

Mailing you a check every month costs about 70 cents or so for paper, post office costs, printers. Sending it electronically costs about 7 cents. Doesn't sound like much, but multiply that times the number of months you will get checks in your lifetime times the number of Social Security and SSI beneficiaries there are in the US, and you can see that direct deposit does save the government money. It may be a tiny fraction of the deficit problems the US has, but why not do what you can to save the government money?

Also, if for some reason you don't get a check or your check is suspended for some reason, it takes about a week to get a paper replacement and about two days for an electronic replacement. Also, direct deposit cuts down on fraudulent reports of "I didn't get my check" since the bank has to agree that the check was not received. Also saves the government money.

If you use a debit card or direct deposit , you can go to the bank on the check delivery day and withdraw it all in cash, if that is they way you like to do business.
Yeah-that's the way I was thinking. Still would have to go to the bank and withdraw the cash but wouldn't have to wait for the mail delivery.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Still would have to go to the bank and withdraw the cash but wouldn't have to wait for the mail delivery.
No you won't if you have a checking account. You would be sitting in your warm home writing out checks all w/o going to the bank.

My $$$ is deposited in my account midnight on the 3rd Wednesday every month. If need be I can write a check 1 second after midnight and it will be good!

And another thing................ You are no longer an "old schooler" if you have a computer & use it!

An ex-old schooler!
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:04 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz Migraine View Post
No you won't if you have a checking account. You would be sitting in your warm home writing out checks all w/o going to the bank.

My $$$ is deposited in my account midnight on the 3rd Wednesday every month. If need be I can write a check 1 second after midnight and it will be good!

And another thing................ You are no longer an "old schooler" if you have a computer & use it!

An ex-old schooler!
You know, Boomer, she's right. You are a regular poster on a web site. That's not old school.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:06 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

The check showed up on time. I still switched to direct deposit. I hope I gave them the right route # or someone in Iceland will be getting my checks. Its too bad my LTD carrier doesn't do direct deposit. They don't want you to have the mindset that you're never returning too work.