advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SS Review

I've been on SS disability for about 7 years now for mental health reasons. I've received a review packet to see if I'm still disabled. My wife filled out the packet and returned it, along with all the doctor's info that they requested.

I have now received a packet from a vocational rehab review, which has a lot of the same questions as the first review packet- like, what do you do in a day. Is this a standard thing? And do they normally get denied the first go around, as with the first acceptance?

I don't know the official reason that I was first accepted, but have since been diagnosed, and recently hospitalized with paranoid schizophrenia. The biggest worry I have is that I literally didn't leave the house (or see a doctor) for 6 years. A back injury finally got me to leave the house, and those doctors set me up with a psychiatrist for help. I'm just paranoid that I'll be denied if some magical keywords were left out of the review packet, or this new vocab rehab questionnaire.

As a paranoid schizophrenic, this is quickly causing me to regress. Are these reviews usually simple and easy, or should we be planning to get denied and have to appeal?
SC_Help is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-04-2011, 11:21 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Your recent hospitalization for paranoid schizophrenia should strengthen your case, but not seeing any doctor for 6 years was a big mistake. SSA needs to validate your disability with your medical records.....hard to do if you don't have current medical records.

I understand that it may be difficult to get out to the doctor because of the nature of your disability, but you need to realize that could cost you SSDI benefits in the long run. How were you getting medications during that time ? Are there any mental health professionals in your area that will do home visits ?

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:05 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I didn't take meds or see a doc for those years. I should have been, but that's the vicious cycle of the disease. The review only asked for the previous years worth of visits. I wish I would have received something from them upon my initial approval that laid out the guidelines and requirements.

I guess it helps that I started seeing a shrink once a month, last June. It was sheer pain in my back that finally drove me from the house in April. They have that first doctor's notes, and he notes that mental illness had let pain progress that far, and that he talked me in to finally seeking help, even going so far as to find one for me. My current psychiatrist knows that I only leave the house to see him, and even then, I have to be sedated.

There aren't any mental health professionals where I live. I have to travel an hour to the nearest one. I know there's no way I could hold a job, but the paranoia takes it's toll - especially once I received a packet where SS had referred me to a vocational rehab department to determine if I was still disabled. I didn't know if that was common place, or if I should plan on having to appeal.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 AM #4
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

If driving and or mental health reasons limit going out of the home...
I wonder if phone appointments w/ your dr would count?
- billed and recorded for the record.
might be something to ask about.

But 7 yrs is probably just time for a overall review, I'm sure they have to check up on everyone after a certain amount of time.
Just to verify if any changes - better or worse.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:33 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks. This really is helping put my mind at rest. This is hitting me hard enough that the family is wanting to put me back in the hospital - and there's no doubt that my doc would agree. I'm almost ready to go, especially if it would help in the case of having to appeal.

One of the things that the paranoia does is cause me to "play chess" with problems - try to foresee problems. I can't see a reason to be denied, and certainly can't see a reason to lose an appeal if they cite some specific reason. If you guys don't see any huge red flags, aside from the 6 year hermit, I can breathe a little easier. I'm not planning on having to appeal, it's just a way to trick my mind into relaxing for now by planning for later.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Help View Post
Thanks. This really is helping put my mind at rest. This is hitting me hard enough that the family is wanting to put me back in the hospital - and there's no doubt that my doc would agree. I'm almost ready to go, especially if it would help in the case of having to appeal.

One of the things that the paranoia does is cause me to "play chess" with problems - try to foresee problems. I can't see a reason to be denied, and certainly can't see a reason to lose an appeal if they cite some specific reason. If you guys don't see any huge red flags, aside from the 6 year hermit, I can breathe a little easier. I'm not planning on having to appeal, it's just a way to trick my mind into relaxing for now by planning for later.
i like you have been playing chess the past 7 months too...my original approval letter stated that july 2010 would be my review date. as of today still no review.i will soon be 56 years old and my question is could they just maybe cancel it all together because of my age? never really get a clear answer. all i know is that when i called in july they said at the time there was no review scheduled at this time. even tho my review is late why should they not have a july 2010 date on my case anyway
markack is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote