advertisement

Old 02-13-2011, 02:50 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSI children's benefits?

I know someone(payee) who received backpay for their child's SSI and they used it as a down payment on a house. Is that legal? I know under SSA guidelines you are suppose to have housing supplied but this seems beyond the call of duty because this seems like a family matter.
Babyboomer15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomer15 View Post
I know someone(payee) who received backpay for their child's SSI and they used it as a down payment on a house. Is that legal? I know under SSA guidelines you are suppose to have housing supplied but this seems beyond the call of duty because this seems like a family matter.
It's inappropriate unless they put the child's name on the title. It's hard to enforce payee rules for parents of SSI children however.

But with installments and dedicated accounts, the parents shouldn't have gotten more than $1800 which is not much of a down payment.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:19 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

It was alot more than 1800. Aren't they suppose to supply SSA a report on where the money goes? Whats the worse thing that could happen? Could they make them pay the money back?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:29 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One of the parents is the representative payee for a disabled child/adult who is collecting SSI ?

Or is this a case with a disabled parent on SSDI with kids collecting childrens benefits ?

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
One of the parents is the representative payee for a disabled child/adult who is collecting SSI ?

Or is this a case with a disabled parent on SSDI with kids collecting childrens benefits ?
The parent is the payee.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:52 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Then that would absolutely be illegal.

If it was backpay for the kids benefits, I would think/hope they would consider that differently. I would look at that as paying back the parents for expenses they had alreay outlayed for each child, but if this is about the child's SSI money....that money is for the child's living expenses, so unless they had a rental agreement and the kid 'owes' them, I think they could be in big trouble with SSI.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I guess they will have alot of explaining too do when SSA asks for a report on the spending of the child's SSI money.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM #8
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

I don't see anything about it being illegal. As a matter of fact they expect the children to help the parents financially.

Benefits For Children
SSA Publication No. 05-10085, September 2009, ICN 468550 [View .pdf] Get Adobe Acrobat Reader (En Español) [Audio mp3] speaker icon

About 3.8 million children receive approximately $1.6 billion each month because one or both of their parents are disabled, retired or deceased. Those dollars help to provide the necessities of life for family members and help to make it possible for those children to complete high school. When a parent becomes disabled or dies, Social Security benefits help to stabilize the family’s financial future.

NOTE: Disabled children whose parents have little income or resources may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income benefits. Contact us to get a copy of the publication, Benefits For Children With Disabilities (Publication No. 05-10026).
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
I don't see anything about it being illegal. As a matter of fact they expect the children to help the parents financially.
Benefits For Children
SSA Publication No. 05-10085, September 2009, ICN 468550 [View .pdf] Get Adobe Acrobat Reader (En Español) [Audio mp3] speaker icon
About 3.8 million children receive approximately $1.6 billion each month because one or both of their parents are disabled, retired or deceased. Those dollars help to provide the necessities of life for family members and help to make it possible for those children to complete high school. When a parent becomes disabled or dies, Social Security benefits help to stabilize the family’s financial future.

That would be if the kids recieved childrens benefits because one(or both) of the parents were disabled.

That is NOT the case here......That question has already been asked and answered.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeah-its not the parent or parent(s) that are disabled. The husband refuses to look for work and hasn't had a legit job in probably over 5 yrs.