Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 02-17-2011, 04:14 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Returning to work..fragile

I returned to work this Monday on what is known as a 'phased return', i.e. doing half days (hit head a month ago, strugged with work then had a couple of weeks off).

It's not going well. I had felt a bit more like myself the day before and on the first day back was a bit shaky but not bad. On the Tuesday though...OMG. A couple of hours looking at a screen (I work in IT support) and one stressful call and I was way back to being as bad as I was 3 weeks ago if not worse. I staggered home, felt like crap, and then spent the whole of yesterday resting and feeling scared.

Now I have to figure out what to do with work. Back today and hoping to see occupational health.

How have other people coped with going back to work? It's all so unpredictable...Doctors have been useless when it comes to advice and I can't give work any idea on when I'll be well again...

Rant/moan over!
Jane
JaneLdn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-17-2011, 04:28 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Jane, typically, doctors are clueless when it comes to post concussive syndrome because it has a wide variety of effects and you have to experience it personally to understand its consequences. Typically, you'll recover in 3 months at the most. I recommend you just tough things out until then and assume you'll recover soon and feel the way you did before. Only after that time should you begin taking any sort of action (which this site is great for).
As far as coping with things, just be aware that many of the people on this website, including myself, have been through the PCS issues, short and long, and gotten through it while working and attending school. Its not easy, but once you get through it, and you will, you'll only be a stronger person.
PCS BULL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:06 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My family doctor tried to push me to work. My neurologist and neuro-psych said not to push it, the brain has to have time to heal and can't do it if under pressure. 10 months later I am still limited to working 10 hours per week.
roadrunner63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Jane,

Sorry to hear of your return to work experience. The overload can be a big setback to recovery. Any attempt to return to work should be in a stepped fashion. By that I mean, short hours doing lower stress tasks. This is likely a difficult issue for an IT person.

You may consider trying to set up some IT team support. When you get a stressful request, you could pass it off to a team member. Otherwise, your option is to stay home. Toughing it out is the wrong solution.

Try to learn your triggers and pre-collapse signs. Getting starry eyed or struggling to read and comprehend is a common pre-collapse sign.

I wish I could help more but I am having a tough morning. I am falling asleep at my computer. Time to go take a nap. And I have tasks to get done today but not if my brain is not working.

My best to you.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Soccergal (04-01-2012)
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks all for replies.

I was lucky enough to see an occupational health person today (registered nurse) who knew their job and gave me some sensible advice. Feel a bit reassured now when it comes to handling work.

They suggested continue with phased return probably for a few weeks, have breaks from computer every 20 to 30 mins, tackle low stress queries only, monitor yourself and go home earlier if symptoms suddenly increase, be patient with it and try not to worry too much.

So pretty much the same as the good advice you have given above Mark. I am sorry to hear that you are having a more difficult day, hope things are better tomorrow.

They also suggested physio for my neck which has been a mess since the injury as this might help relieve the headaches - this didn't occur to me (!).

All in all, it was positive to talk to someone who could do a bit of the thinking for me on how to handle things. I'm not especially dim but have found it hard to think clearly about what I should do and to grasp things since doing this.

I think there is a degree of toughing it out for sure, but only to an extent given the kind of job I do...
JaneLdn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi JaneLDN

Just wondering how you got along? I too am in IT and going through PCS and in my 5th week trying to do a ease back into work.

Just curious if you set yourself some physical sign limits when to stop for break (Tightness, headache) or you just toughed it out and eventually worked through.

S
srgallan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

srgallan,

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

This thread has not been active since last February. JaneLdn has not be active lately.

Do you have a problem with Post Concussion Syndrome that we can help with?

Introduce yourself. We are a friendly group.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
srgallan (01-12-2012)
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Post Concussive

Same thing happened to me, I hit my head at work, had three months off. While at home I wasn't symptom free, but I could handle being home where it was quiet and dark. When I went back to work, I didn't last a week. Extremely sensitive to light, sound, movement ect...Went back to work again three months later and lasted 8 months. I just can't do it. I have not had one day symptom free, being at home is tolerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneLdn View Post
I returned to work this Monday on what is known as a 'phased return', i.e. doing half days (hit head a month ago, strugged with work then had a couple of weeks off).

It's not going well. I had felt a bit more like myself the day before and on the first day back was a bit shaky but not bad. On the Tuesday though...OMG. A couple of hours looking at a screen (I work in IT support) and one stressful call and I was way back to being as bad as I was 3 weeks ago if not worse. I staggered home, felt like crap, and then spent the whole of yesterday resting and feeling scared.

Now I have to figure out what to do with work. Back today and hoping to see occupational health.

How have other people coped with going back to work? It's all so unpredictable...Doctors have been useless when it comes to advice and I can't give work any idea on when I'll be well again...

Rant/moan over!
Jane

Last edited by mrsD; 04-01-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: fixing quote tag for clarity
Hybernating is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote