Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default prism lenses...has anyone had success?

I am seeing a dr in NJ monday ..hoping he can help.

I read a few blurbs here about them and I understand that Dr. Debby Feinberg in Michigan is the guru on post concussion using prism lenses.

Has anyone had any success with them??

Tell me anything...and any questions I might want to ask the dr monday.

THANKS GUYS!
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-19-2011, 04:20 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Prism lenses, together with a course of vision therapy, helped resolve most of my daugher's PCS symptoms. Before your appointment you should do some reading on this website (or ask someone else to do the reading for you):

http://www.nora.cc/

I've heard of some therapies using different colors of lenses, but my daugher's prism lenses simply helped get her center line of vision back to center. She wore them for about seven months. Now if she puts them on she feels nauseated and headache, similar to how anyone would feel putting on the wrong eye glass prescription.

Vision therapy isn't for everyone but it is certainly worth a try.
PCSLearner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

ok...thanks going tomorrow ..will let you know what the result is
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

went to eye dr...fitted me for prisms..and will start visual therapy after i get them (1 week)

how long before your daughter saw improvements in symptoms?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:32 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for letting me know how it went!

First off, please remember that vision therapy is very difficult. This is not a miracle cure. She had to work very hard and it made her very nauseated for the first couple months. Her routine included work in the office and also work at home every single day. Is this what your program will be like?

This is going to sound ridiculous but she felt some improvements right away...I mean after the first week. I sometimes wonder if those early improvements had more to do with the feeling of finally having some kind of control over her situation and FINALLY finding a doctor who could understand what she was going through.

Regardless, she had gradual improvements over the next few weeks. The most dramatic improvement came when she did an exercise designed to help restore 3D vision. You start on simple exercises and work your way up. Toward the end she was doing exercises that most people around her struggled with. It became a kind of contest to see who could or couldn't do her homework!

Remember that it is like any other form of physical therapy. She is young (16) and she was "only" 8 months from her injury. Older people and people further out from the injury might take longer.

All the best to you! Let me know how it goes!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I am hopeful that the prism lenses will help and I anticipate the therapy to give me headaches. Glasses come in mext week hopefully monday.

What improvements are you talking about?

Was your daughter able to watch tv all along or work on the computer? I cannot so hoping the lenses and therapy help

Tell me mor please. How is she now? When ws her accident?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM #7
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

My father need prism lenses for many years. It may have been due to his slow neuro-degeneration due to untreated Central Sleep Apnea.

I understand how they work to restore binocular vision by correcting for neuromuscular dysfunctions. A question I have is simple. If the problem is the binocular ( two eyes working properly together) issue, have those of you with these visual issues tried observing TV etc with one eye closed? Removing the conflict would appear to me to be a temporary fix that points to the problem being coordination between the two eyes.

Just some more questions.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:16 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark...I'm not sure that's really the issue...its that both or one eye wants to go outward and your brain struggles to keep them aligned to see things right. (hope that makes sense)

read about Debby Feinberg in Michigan...she helped a lot of people with PCS
Old 02-25-2011, 06:22 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Aireyden: My daughter was having problems concentrating. She couldn't read for more than a few minutes. She also had trouble in crowds...she felt uncomfortable and got irritated then got headaches. She had almost non-stop nausea.

The vision therapy and prism glasses do work to keep the two eyes focusing together (binocular vision). This was nothing you could actually see...her eyes seemed to be pointing at the same place when you looked at her. It was within her brain that things were not working correctly.

Soon after starting therapy she was able to read for longer periods, stay on the computer. She started feeling more comfortable in stores and in church. She quit hitting her head when she got in and out of the car. She quit running into door jams or walls when she walked down the hall. She quit dropping things she thought she was putting on a shelf but was actually missing. She stopped seeing little mice and shadows everywhere.

Her accident was August 09. She started therapy in June '10. She is 3 months + out of therapy. She hasn't had a headache in a long time...at least 2 months. They got fewer and further between and now they are basicallygone. She is getting all As in honors classes as a junior in high school.

I'm not sure if I mentioned that she was prescribed a pair of regular prism glasses that wore around everywhere together with a pair of reading glasses.

I am not saying this is all due 100% to vision therapy. I think time did it's work, too. The last two headaches she had were triggered by extreme emotion, so I do think she's more suceptible now. Maybe always will be, maybe she'll continue to get stronger or more resistance to headaches? IDK.

Keep me posted!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:59 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

omg...thank you. I cannot even drive without a headache. I think they are going to help me.

Today I drove to the chiropractor - rested there...I love going. Then went to Pier One Imports a friend works there...(5 mins away). I was in the store a few mins and had to put the earplugs in and visually everything seems fine, but I'm overwhelmed. I prob stayed too long...and with the driving I new I needed a nap (which I took for an hr when I got home). But of course got a headache later. I took Maxalt (similar to imitrex) and it helped a little

I dont' have a prob concentrating...My head just feels weird when I go on computer tv, drive or read. Its a strange feeling...sort of all shoook up -- I don't get nausus but I get lightheaded...and worse as I do more.

thanks for answering. I get my glasses mon or wed this week. hoping it helps. I think therapy starts the following week....but did it make her tired or give her headaches.

Visually I see everything fine....no problems.but dr said I need bifocals in there (i'm 44 so I figured as much).

D