advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 11:12 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Two questions

First, does having an advanced education in any way hurt you on the review? I'm a diagnosed schizoaffective who has been on SSD for 14 years.. My next review is in 2015. Recently I received my bachelors and am actually pursuing an MBA.. Going to school for two nights a week and not interacting with peers has little to do with one's psycho-social function, as I am still lacking in that department.. So does having an advanced degree, such as a Masters in anyway sway the review against you or do they not take into account your education and only your psychiatric well being?

Another thing I was curious about is whether or not taking your ssd overseas would totally hamper me on the review. SSD in United States = barely scraping by.. SSD in Philippines or Latin America = living with some extra comfort while still recieving medication and therapy..
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Education and effect on SSDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
First, does having an advanced education in any way hurt you on the review? I'm a diagnosed schizoaffective who has been on SSD for 14 years.. My next review is in 2015. Recently I received my bachelors and am actually pursuing an MBA.. Going to school for two nights a week and not interacting with peers has little to do with one's psycho-social function, as I am still lacking in that department.. So does having an advanced degree, such as a Masters in anyway sway the review against you or do they not take into account your education and only your psychiatric well being?
Yes, having a higher education level is a negative for SSDI. SSA views college and advanced degrees as a person who has more skills ios more flexible to a broader range of jobs available in the US. Potential jobs do not have to meet equivalent income to your education. Any job in thr US economy qualifies.

I don't know about living overseas. i would research on the SSA wbsite and call your local office. I think you hav to return to the US every 6 months.
Respectfully.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:19 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A very good friend of mine received SSDI and moved to Thailand. He had a good standard of living from SSDI and from the sale of his home here in the states. However, he could not use his medicare overseas, only here in the states in which he traveled twice a year here for treatment. After 8 years he is now moving back to the states.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:03 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDIHelp View Post
Yes, having a higher education level is a negative for SSDI. SSA views college and advanced degrees as a person who has more skills ios more flexible to a broader range of jobs available in the US. Potential jobs do not have to meet equivalent income to your education. Any job in thr US economy qualifies.

I don't know about living overseas. i would research on the SSA wbsite and call your local office. I think you hav to return to the US every 6 months.
Respectfully.

Thanks for the reply.. Do you think that I should just quit school then? If I am still unstable I don't want my education to override my psychological impediments.. I wonder how the education issue will even come up?
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

they ask you in the cdr.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:25 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

EA,

If you are able to concentrate and comprehend the college curriculum, SSA may consider the situation that you could be working those 2 nights per week at a job requiring minimal interpersonal interaction rather than going to grad school.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 PM #7
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post

Another thing I was curious about is whether or not taking your ssd overseas would totally hamper me on the review. SSD in United States = barely scraping by.. SSD in Philippines or Latin America = living with some extra comfort while still recieving medication and therapy..
They do consider education when evaluating your case. However this is just one of several factors they use in considering your case, if your physical condition outweighs your education, then they have no choice but to find you disabled. For instance, if have a disease that keeps you from doing substantial gainful activities such as a severe bone disease or a neurological disease it doesn't matter how much education you have, you are at a physical disadvantage. A physical disability can affect you mental status as well, causing residual functional captivity.
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote