Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Chat Recovery accident vs DDD and arthritis

Just curious. Is there a difference between the recovery and future problems based on the reason for the ACDF surgery? Many people are having this surgery due to accidents of one type or another. I had this surgery due to DDD, sever arthritis, herniated disk and pinched nerves. I know that the amount of levels makes the recovery more difficult. Any thought?

================================================== ====
12/9/2010 2 level ACDF C5-6 C6-7
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm just guessing here, but I would think that there might be a difference in recovery between accidents & DDD, etc. With an accident, depending on the severity of it, the bones could be in pretty bad shape -- alot would depend on the breaks if there are any, and how CLEAN the breaks might be as far as the facets & bony structures of the spine. With DDD, usually the bones aren't broken and are easier to work with. The problems come in with osteoporosis & osteoarthritis. Osteoporosis will impede bone growth - in fact, many doctors will NOT perform surgery on a patient with osteoporosis -- count me as one of them that they won't touch. I've gone to the head of neurology of a large teaching hospital, and have been deemed "inoperable."

So I think alot depends on the reason for the fusion. But i'm just guessing. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:32 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchfri1003 View Post
Just curious. Is there a difference between the recovery and future problems based on the reason for the ACDF surgery? Many people are having this surgery due to accidents of one type or another. I had this surgery due to DDD, sever arthritis, herniated disk and pinched nerves. I know that the amount of levels makes the recovery more difficult. Any thought?

================================================== ====
12/9/2010 2 level ACDF C5-6 C6-7
Dear frenchfri1003

If you don't mind me asking where did you have your procedure? My husband is having a " Posterior Fusion 2 level C7-T1. He has had spineal surgery before of the lumbar area. The first surgery on the lumbar was a disaster then we had a revision done at the Hospital for Special Surgery and by the grace of god it was a complete success doesn't even take an Advi currently. He does have spinal steniosis and the C7-T1 just started in October with a stiff neck then came a clawing type hand and then the hand just got worse and worse. He does not have any pain but the hand at this point is almost unusable. We are using the same doctors at HSS and are told this is piece of cake compared to what he went through with the lumbar, but of course I'm a little skeptical. He does not want to start with the pain medication again so they are going to try and do his post op. with other technics. I'm a little nervous to be honest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:05 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink good luck

I live on Long Island and had my surgery out here. I thought about going to HSS, but decided against it. I didn't want to have to travel into NYC every time I had an appointment. It would be a 2 hour commute on the train. I have faith in my OSS and he has a very good reputation out here. My feelings are if you have had positive results from your Dr. at HSS stick with him or her.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote