Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Personal thoughts on recover DDD vs accident

Just curious on people's personal stories on how long their recovery was. How long before seeing bone growth, being fully fused and getting back to their "full" life such as being able to lift, turn, enjoying everyday activities without pain. Feel free to fill in info such as:
surgery type / levels
date
how long symptoms persisted prior to surgery
reason for surgery : accident or DDD arthritis
how long before bone growth or fusion
additional surgeries needed
time before back to work / full activities / painfree
additional infor that you want to share.
======================================== ========
12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7
DDD, severe arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerve
4 hours with a bone stimulator per day
no bone growth yet
PT starts Monday had eval (painful)
Went to work as a teacher 2/14/2010
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 04:48 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi ~ I had surgery due to herniated discs - DDD was secondary. I herniated in August of 1986, and the surgery wasn't until January of 1987. All during the pre-surgery time, I had horrendous sciatica and back pain. This was on level L4-5. After surgery I had the same pain if not worse. I wasn't able to go back to work full-time for 6 months. There was NO fusion involved.

In 1995, L3-4 herniated while I was SITTING in a car. This ALSO happened in August, and once again the doc didn't operate until January. Like before, I still had the horrendous back pain along with the previous sciatica. After surgery, the pain was STILL there and worse. I could not go back to work AT ALL, as the pain had become debilitating. There was NO FUSION involved. I filed for SS disability.

Since then other levels have herniated, but because of osteoporosis I have been deemed inoperable by several Neurosurgeons. I've had the spinal cord stimulator implanted, but because I don't have enough "fat" content, the unit tried to work itself OUT of me. It had to be removed before it removed itself. I couldn't have the morphine pump because it's bigger than the SCS. I'm now on pain medications and have been told I'll be on them the rest of my life. The pain SUCKS. Hugs, Lee
recovering alcoholic, sober since 7-29-93;severe depression; 2 open spinal surgeries; severe sciatica since 1986; epidurals; trigger points; myelograms; Rhizotomy; Racz procedure; spinal cord stimulator implant (and later removal); morphine pump trial (didn't work);now inoperable; lumpectomy; radiation; breast cancer survivor; heart attack; fibromyalgia; on disability.

Often the test of courage is not to die, but to live..
.................................................. ...............Orestes
Leesa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:02 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Leesa

Leesa, Thank you for your response. I am so sorry for all of your pain and problems both at the time of herniation, pre and post surgery. You have certainly been through alot. Hopefully you have emotional support for yourself since the physical support seems to be extremely limited. Gentle hugs for you.
frenchfri1003 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leesa (02-25-2011)