advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 04:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Working

I am new here and was in need of advice. I am wondering if you can try and work some during the inital application process?
I applied for disability over 9mo ago and still have no decision. I am scheduled for a psych exam next month. I applied for Borderline Personality Disorder, PTSD, OCD, major depression and anxiety. I have alot of issues ie: have not driven in 2 yrs, barely leave my home, extreme paranoia and phobias.
The problem is like everyone else, it is crunch time. We have ran out of money. I can not afford to get anymore treatment b/c I do not have the extra $300 a week. My husband makes too much for me to fall into any type sliding fee or community help and I have some insurance. But I have to pay 50% and we have so many medical bills we have no money. I am being sued for all the medical bills (I had 3 surgeries last yr). I do not know what to do. I was recently offered a part time job, less than 20hrs a week. Problem is my mental issues are no way under control, as I have recently attempted suicide. The financial issues are only exacerbating things. I know I would not be able to keep the job long as I never do b/c of depression, paranoia ect. But this money would help me get treatment.
If I was to take this job, would it automatically mean my claim would be denied?
Reneetami is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

You cannot work and file disability sorry I know we are living on my little check thank god my house is paid for I wouldn't jeprodize your case sounds like you should get a answer soon and you will get back pay. I know what you are going through we are in the same boat. Hang in there and God Bless
oldhen53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:18 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Not only can you not work now but with mental issues you probably will not be able to do much if any work in the future. I won on mainly mental issues and the judge went over a variety of work situations such as counting change or be around people. He asked me if I could do these types of things. When I said no I think that clinched it for me. But my lawyer also told me that if I tried to work I would probably lose my benefits on the next review if not sooner. My lawyer told me to make sure when I tried to work that it was something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I know it stinks as I went from a $60,000 job to 0 for 3+ years. We begged borrowed and did whatever to survive. But if you work you are done as far as ssdi goes.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:12 PM #4
n/a

10 yr Member
n/a

10 yr Member

Yes you can try to work, this helps them understand how much you can physically and mentally handle. Here is a link:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...or%20diability
legalmania is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Renee, it's kind of a trick question, in my opinion.

As legalmania posted, SSA's official stance is that you MAY qualify even if you are currently working, but I think it's important to consider their definition of disability....the inability to engage in any substantial gainful work activity http://www.socialsecurity.gov/redboo...sability.htm#6 . I think most jobs that contribute enough to your household finances would be a red flag to them that you are able to work.

Truthfully, the long waiting period for approval is financially devasting for many people on SSDI. Those who "can't wait" and go back to SGA, in my opinion, just proved that they are not totally disabled. Remember SSDI is for those who CAN"T do SGA, not for those who have a physical or mental impairment that would find it easier if they didn't have to work.

SSA's definition of SGA is: Work is “substantial” if it involves doing significant physical or mental activities or a combination of both. For work activity to be substantial, it does not need to be performed on a full-time basis. Work activity performed on a part-time basis may also be substantial gainful activity.

If you were only able to do a job for a few hours and it was menial in nature, that might pass their standard.

Another thing to consider is if you try to go back to work and it doesn't work out, because you are unable to fulfill the job requirememnts for long because of your disability, that MIGHT help your claim.

I understand this is a tough spot to be in.....best of luck working through this.

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:36 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just to add,

I understand the financial crunch and medical debt makes getting further treatment difficult, but current medical records, taking meds as ordered, etc is CRITICAL in getting SSDI approval. I know adding more debt isn't appealing, but please find some way to keep up with your health needs so that you don't have further deterioration.

Does your town or county offer free mental health assistance to those in need ?

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote