Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 11:08 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Caffeine

Hi all,

I've read somewhere that caffeine is not good if you are suffering from PCS. Does anyone know if this is the case? Or have you noticed any difference if you don't have it?

I love my coffee and usually drink 2 cups a day, also have 2-3 cups of tea a day. I would stop it tomorrow if there was a chance it could make any difference to my symptoms though, as they are basically from hell at the moment.

Thanks,
Jane
JaneLdn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 11:38 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink For me it helps

For me, at least one cup of caffeine a day helps, my neurologist says that is fine and does not hurt or help, though it does help if you are taking meds, because it gets the meds into your system quickly.
It often relieves the sharp pain for me, and helps me be a little faster on my feet when my brain is in a fog. I don't do it every day 'cause I don't want to get addicted, but I do like it a few times a week.
Good luck!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Caffeine is an excito-toxin. This means it causes brain cells to become excited or so active that they become damaged. For a long time, the rule of thumb was 'no caffeine.' Recent research has shown that a single cup of coffee or its equivalent of caffeine, is OK and may even be beneficial to the injured brain.

With the problem with anxiety many with PCS have, caffeine is contra-indicated. It is especially contra-indicated to overcome the sleepiness caused by some medication. I was read the riot act when I told my doctor I was using caffeine to help with the sleepiness from the anti-convulsant I was taking.

The same rule applies to alcohol. Until recently, No alcohol was the rule. Now, researchers suggest a single serving of wine or beer per day is OK and may have some beneficial effects. The relaxation effects of an alcoholic drink may be the objective.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Everyone with PCS or a TBI reacts differently to caffeine. All of my doctors have said NO, absolutely NO!.

I know many who it does not effect, and some if helps.

For me, caffeine is a nightmare. With an injury your brain cells can become extra sensitive to chemicals, medications and the like. The last cup of coffee I had I was up for for days. It sent me into a manic episode I had a very dangerous crash from!

Caffeine in a brain injured individual can contribute to other symptoms, or add symptoms, such as sleep disruption and fatigue. It has also reported to deplete the bodies natural production of adrenaline.

Caffeine also inhibits glucose utilization in the brain. Glucose is one of the brains major tools for healing.

Learn how your reacts to it. But be careful. The medical community jury is on the fence on this one. So use your best judgment!
oneid1hrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:11 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

That's interesting. I've just found that I need to keep caffeine on the low side. I know that giving it up completely normally gives you a hell of a headache and I don't want to go there at the moment!!

Since I've had this I have CRAVED stimulants full stop - sugar, caffeine...

You mention glucose as well. Have noticed that my symptoms get much worse just before mealtimes and I think it might be related to glucose falling. This is usually in the evening and I often feel better once I've eaten.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:55 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneLdn View Post
That's interesting. I've just found that I need to keep caffeine on the low side. I know that giving it up completely normally gives you a hell of a headache and I don't want to go there at the moment!!

Since I've had this I have CRAVED stimulants full stop - sugar, caffeine...

You mention glucose as well. Have noticed that my symptoms get much worse just before mealtimes and I think it might be related to glucose falling. This is usually in the evening and I often feel better once I've eaten.
Weird, but it is exactly the same for me, need sugar/caffine and I always get a worse headache when hungry or just before meals. I have been careful about eating lots of little meals during the day, but sometimes I can't and I sure suffer.
Now I have allergies, because of the Spring and boy, I can't even sleep! Oh, well, a couple months and it will be better!
Good Luck!
Margarite
Margarite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:07 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Margarite - good luck to you too! I'm also hopng that it will be better in a couple of months.... Am starting to get more 'good' days so I guess it's just a matter of time. Whatever happens I'm going to be left with a killer chocolate bar habit!