advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Letter of Acknowledgement ?

Good Morning, I filed my CPP-disability papers in Dec/2010, and I just received a Letter of Acknowledgement dated Feb/24/11, wondering if anyone can tell me how long I will have to wait for a decision to be made on my claim? Thanks for all responses. Bunz
---------------------------------------------------

bunz50 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-04-2011, 08:27 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunz50 View Post
Good Morning, I filed my CPP-disability papers in Dec/2010, and I just received a Letter of Acknowledgement dated Feb/24/11, wondering if anyone can tell me how long I will have to wait for a decision to be made on my claim? Thanks for all responses. Bunz
Me thinks you are in the wrong forum but welcome to the board anyway
Shellback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:26 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Me thinks you are in the wrong forum but welcome to the board anyway
Hi Shellback, Is this not the disability forum? I am from Ontario Canada and have applied for disability, a little different from SSI, but I do believe that the process may work similarly and if I am in the wrong forum, please direct me, thank-you Bunz

Old 03-04-2011, 06:05 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I think you've found the best match for a forum here at NT, I just think most of the 'regulars' here are from the US so we just aren't as familiar with the Canadian process.

Even though we might not be able to answer your question, we are happy to hold your hand during the waiting process !

And maybe a few of our Canadian members will see your post.....

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:22 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz View Post
I think you've found the best match for a forum here at NT, I just think most of the 'regulars' here are from the US so we just aren't as familiar with the Canadian process.

Even though we might not be able to answer your question, we are happy to hold your hand during the waiting process !

And maybe a few of our Canadian members will see your post.....
Thank-you finz! I thought maybe similar rules and time frames would be comparable. Ontario states " disabililty must be severe and prolonged", cannot do any type of work, both my family dr and neuro signed me off work and i have 4 yrs of medical documentation submitted. I also heard it can take quite some time, I truly appreciate your honest response and your kindness! Thanks Bunz (:

Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here, we do hear within a certain period of time (meaning I think the SSA has to respond within a time limit....others here might chip in with that answer) But, so often, that news brings a rejection, so then you have to start the time consuming process of the reconsideration and appeals....an all of that takes time to process. In some states, the time can be even longer.

It's been awhile for me.....but I recall getting my first rejection fairly soon after my application. The entire process took 3 years for approval....and I had been disabled and on WC for over a year before I even applied.

Can you get legal assistance to help with the process if you are initially rejected ? I don't know how it works 'up there'

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
Old 03-05-2011, 10:56 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did find this from http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/i...licant.shtml#d

How long will I have to wait for a decision?
Initial application service standard

We make eligibility decisions on at least 75 per cent of applications within 120 calendar days (4 months). The time begins when we receive a complete application which includes the questionnaire, application and medical report.

Note: If additional information is needed, it may take longer to process your application or your request for reconsideration.

After you fill out your application kit and send it to us, a member of our Service Canada staff will call you to explain how your application will be processed, the type of information we need from you, and answer any questions you may have. We may also gather more information from you which will help us determine whether you qualify for a disability benefit. As we process your application, our medical adjudicators may request your medical records from hospitals, doctors and other health care providers, and they may ask you to see another doctor who will evaluate your medical condition. When seeking information from outside sources, we have very little control over how quickly a response is received. These delays can add to the time it takes to process your application.

If you would like to know the status of your application while it is being processed, please feel free to contact us.

We will telephone you to explain how and why we made the decision on your application before we mail you a letter confirming the decision. The phone call and letter will tell you if your application has been approved and what your appeal rights are. If your application is approved, we will also tell you the date that your benefit begins and the amounts you will receive.

If they actually do what they promise, I think that's a good policy to call the applicant and explain their reasoning process. Wish they did that here

Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
I did find this from http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/i...licant.shtml#d

How long will I have to wait for a decision?
Initial application service standard

We make eligibility decisions on at least 75 per cent of applications within 120 calendar days (4 months). The time begins when we receive a complete application which includes the questionnaire, application and medical report.

Note: If additional information is needed, it may take longer to process your application or your request for reconsideration.

After you fill out your application kit and send it to us, a member of our Service Canada staff will call you to explain how your application will be processed, the type of information we need from you, and answer any questions you may have. We may also gather more information from you which will help us determine whether you qualify for a disability benefit. As we process your application, our medical adjudicators may request your medical records from hospitals, doctors and other health care providers, and they may ask you to see another doctor who will evaluate your medical condition. When seeking information from outside sources, we have very little control over how quickly a response is received. These delays can add to the time it takes to process your application.

If you would like to know the status of your application while it is being processed, please feel free to contact us.

We will telephone you to explain how and why we made the decision on your application before we mail you a letter confirming the decision. The phone call and letter will tell you if your application has been approved and what your appeal rights are. If your application is approved, we will also tell you the date that your benefit begins and the amounts you will receive.

If they actually do what they promise, I think that's a good policy to call the applicant and explain their reasoning process. Wish they did that here
Great link thanks finz! I only have a blackberry to do internet searches! But within 10 mins of typing/searching my hands are numb/tingling(right now)it drives me crazy cause I can't feel the keys, anyways thank-you again it helps out a lot and gives me some idea of the wait time. It is awesome that they actually call you to explain, I wish that SSD did it too, its a nice policy, that can also be helpful in getting an appeal started if need be. I submitted all my medical records and Dr reports, I would not know what more medical info I could send? Yes we have lawyers in Ontario that will work with you in getting disability(expensive 300.00 and up per hour) as well as our Ombudsman(people within our government)that will assist. Thanks again I appreciate your response. Bunz

Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Bunz,

Have you seen all of the medical records ? Assuming your government looks for the same issues ours does, it's not just having documentation....it's having the RIGHT documentation.

My earlier neurologist notes summarized my situation with statements like "patient is totally disabled due to TOS, RSD, FM, and occipital neuralgia." That is insufficient. Some people with the same/similar conditions might still be able to work. WHY I can't work is what they want to hear....not a list of diagnoses, but details like.......

*needs to lay down frequently to utilize cervical traction unit
*able to stand/walk for up to 20 minutes at times, but must be able to sit or lay down on demand
*able to sit for up to one hour at a time in specific high backed chairs with arm support, but must be able to get in supine postion on demand
*requires frequent naps d/t poor nighttime sleeping
etc, etc

Old 03-11-2011, 08:12 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Hi Bunz,

Have you seen all of the medical records ? Assuming your government looks for the same issues ours does, it's not just having documentation....it's having the RIGHT documentation.

My earlier neurologist notes summarized my situation with statements like "patient is totally disabled due to TOS, RSD, FM, and occipital neuralgia." That is insufficient. Some people with the same/similar conditions might still be able to work. WHY I can't work is what they want to hear....not a list of diagnoses, but details like.......

*needs to lay down frequently to utilize cervical traction unit
*able to stand/walk for up to 20 minutes at times, but must be able to sit or lay down on demand
*able to sit for up to one hour at a time in specific high backed chairs with arm support, but must be able to get in supine postion on demand
*requires frequent naps d/t poor nighttime sleeping
etc, etc
Good Morning finz, I have a copy of all my medical records, both my neuro and family dr diagnosis(without consulting each other)were "cervical spondylitic, C4-5 C5-6 osteophytes, bilateral cervical radiculopathy, chronic neck pain, occipital headaches, TOS and unsuccessful ACDF surgery, patient may never recover". Then there is the application section personal info, then a questionnaire section, like "explain any difficulties/functional limitations you have with the following, sitting/standing, walking, lifting/carrying, reaching/bending, personal needs, household chores, driving, sleeping, breathing, and more, and then the medical reports. I think I covered everything and tripled checked everything before I submmitted my claim. Everyone says be prepared to be denied on the frist try and you will have to appeal, from what I read on this board it seems to ring true, thank finz for your response and knowledge! Bunz