Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 01:32 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default i can't STAY asleep... any suggestions

I do have a pattern...do ANYTHING basically and i'm overstimulated. I wake up about 4 hours after I go to sleep...usually 2 or 3 am. God forbid I go out of the house more than an hour....overstimulated and then I can't stay asleep (actually even when I am home all day I still barely sleep thru the night) but so much worse when I go out.

Any suggestions? All prescription meds make me so groggy (haven't tried lunesta or ambien...seems the drs have tried everything but). I tried 2 advil pm the other night and still couldn't sleep. I lay awake but I'm tired.

NO sleep = symptoms on high...help!! any suggestion???
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-06-2011, 08:41 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Have you tried eating a complex carb or some protein before going to bed. I need fresh food energy to sleep well. If my energy level drops, I get cold and wake up or toss.

It works for me but may not help you. Worth a try, though.

A cheese stick or bread or crackers with peanut butter, etc. About 150 to 200 calories does me good.

Plus, for me, I need something in my stomach to prevent slight nausea from my meds.

Sweet dreams.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark..I will try it...love american cheese...i'll have some tonight.

question for you = is this a good sign that I am not tired all day (even without sleep during the night). I was overly lightheaded (dizzy)...and my head was throbbing...I didn't leave the house all day, barely watched tv and was only on the computer a few mins here and there. So, is that a good sign that I wasn't exhausted???
Old 03-07-2011, 12:52 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sorry, your question has too many concepts for me to combine into a single thought so I can answer your question. Maybe if I try it in the morning, I will be able to wrap a few working brain cells around it.

One of my most frustrating symptoms is processing complex sentences. It is like I am trying to juggle and keep too many balls in the air at the same time.

I hope I am making sense.

Til then,

My best to you.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Toni S (03-15-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 02:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark,

I don't think you're processing of that was hindered at all. It actually was a very distorted sentence that an English Major would problem condemn. Haha!
carmell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:51 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

what was wrong with my sentence?? Come on...give a mom with a concussion a little break!!

should I rephrase it??

I didn't do very much during the day, but had more energy...so guessing that's a sign that I'm improving???
Old 03-07-2011, 02:52 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

any other suggestions on how to STAY ASLEEP all night??
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

What is it like when you wake up?

What are your first remembered sensations?

Do you remember any dreams? If so, what kind of dreams?

Are you totally comfortable in your bed and bed clothes?

Cold, warm, cold feet, cold hands, sore back, sweating, sore jaw (teeth clenching or grinding), or anything you may notice.

For me, if I wake up, I get out of bed until I feel ready to sleep again. The angst of trying to fall back to sleep is usually counter-productive.

Try to note any of these things when you wake.

btw, I thought moms were made without a need for sleep. LOL Otherwise, how would a household be held together. I thought moms got up while everybody was asleep to magically keep the house in order.

As an aside, can your hubby help you get a good night's sleep? I know I can help my wife get a good night's sleep. I 'enjoy' helping her get a good night's sleep.

Just tell your hubby, "If I said you have a hot body, would you hold it against me?" Maybe you will get a good night's sleep.

Sweet dreams.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark...laughing...yes..hubby is more than willing...but it still doesn't make me stay asleep.

As for what happens when I wake up, my mind just starts racing. I'm thinking of a million things -- oh..i need to put a birthday card on the shopping list or just random things. Nothing of any importance...just crap that's on my mind at the moment. I lay there quite still trying to just meditate (which apparently I'm not good at since my mind is always racing with other thoughts).

I thought about getting out of bed and reading...but not sure if that is more stimulating - having the light low and all..and the actual reading ..will that be too stimulating?

Last night I went to bed about 10pm...fell asleep about 10:30 ..then woke up at 12:30 so I took 1 Advil pm... I was in and out of sleep until 2ish..then slept until about 6am ..dozing until 7
Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

definitely a danger to do something stimulating! For me, that will get me going and then there is NO hope.

the food idea is a good one.

Also, what are you doing right before bed? Have you tried meditating before bed? And my therapist would say ABSOLUTELY NO computer, TV, reading or any sort of visual or mental processing activity prior to sleeping. Give yourself an hour or more of down time.

Do you have a regular daily routine? Up the same time, in bed the same time?

Another question for you: Do you have any regular excercise routine? And if so, what time of day are you doing it? If not, get to walking. Try to walk 20 minutes, no matter how fast or slow, just get out there! And do it regularily. And believe it or not, do it before noon.

Failing those, time to talk to your talk. I know the last thing we all want is another med, but sleeping is the most important thing for us with brain injuries. It is THE time our brain heals. And the brain heals better with a full night sleep, vs half a night a quick nap. Not to knock the naps . . . naps are great!

Good luck!
oneid1hrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote