Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 02:21 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default is reading too stimulating?? what about Music??

I'm GOING STIR CRAZY...as any of you who have been on here can tell.

I go on my computer for 5 mins at a time...(as my head feels all shook up if any longer).

what about reading?? I know you guys are all going to say -- do whatever doesn't bring on the symptoms...but everything and I mean everything brings it on!! I get these weird tingly feelings...my ears ring louder....lightheaded.

is reading that stimulating??

what about music?? Is that too much too??

I'm at 6 1/2 months and going CRAZY!!!
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Have you been like this ever since the accident or just lately?

First off its difficult to keep away from TV/computer/phone etc.

What I used to think was nice in my worst periods was to listen to books on my mp3. I downloaded classics and could lie in bed listening to them. This wasnt overstimulating I felt because I could relax and rest at the same time.

I tried however to listen to one of my education books (pathology) and that gets to intense and takes almost more focus than reading it myself.

Not very "entertaining" but I have a "spike-carpet"..Haha sry for the swedish/english translation but I thin kyou know what I mean. This makes you really relax and it makes you notice the pain from you headaches less since there is so much sensory input and "nice" pain from the carpet on your back.

I know its frustrating....Im in a similar situation myself were I for now have to skip class to rest from a major relapse. I have been having bad symtoms for 4 weeks now! But it gets better..
rydellen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been like this since the accident...but I had more debilitating headaches...light doesn't bother me anymore. I could barely open my refrigerator at night without closing my eyes. It was awful.

I physically feel better....just my head feels so scrambled all the time.

I have more energy until I overdo it.

I just went to Target with a friend..we were in there about 20-30 mins. I had to leave. My head feels like someone just put it in a blender. Even my cheekbone on the left side hurts...ears feel full and weird. I just don't get it!

How could I physically feel so much better but the head stuff won't go away.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:27 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

not sure...what's a "spike-carpet"??
Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

One of these
http://www.shaktioriginal.eu/
rydellen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireyden View Post
I'm GOING STIR CRAZY...as any of you who have been on here can tell.

I go on my computer for 5 mins at a time...(as my head feels all shook up if any longer).

what about reading?? I know you guys are all going to say -- do whatever doesn't bring on the symptoms...but everything and I mean everything brings it on!! I get these weird tingly feelings...my ears ring louder....lightheaded.

is reading that stimulating??

what about music?? Is that too much too??

I'm at 6 1/2 months and going CRAZY!!!

Im new but I can tell you that it seems to me that the Computer seems to hit me out of no where.. I can be fine for days then all of a sudden its so overwhelming I cant take it. I Play mindless easy type Apps.. things I dont have to think about. It helps at times to distract me. I do have to keep the TV volume very low at times .. its strange to me how I have always liked a loud TV.. Stereo sound and all.. now I can hear it at a whisper.
I dont know the good and bads yet.. Ive just been listening to my body.. I saw some things I am doing that I might need to stop.. like diet drinks.. that surprised me.
I put very soft music on .. easy soft R and B and it really helped ..
Hope to learn more.. Good luck.. and healthy thoughts.
CegeeGirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hello Aireyden,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this, as I myself, went through this for a long time in the beginning & sometimes still do.
I have multiple head injuries stemming from the first one in 05 (I think), 2nd in 07, 3rd in 09 & again here recently in December 2010.

I've learned (& still learning) to pace myself in whatever it is I am doing. I've learned that I've lost the ability to multi-task!! Along with other things.

When I listen to music, which I prefer over television, I've learned to place an ear plug in one of my ears, as this tends to help drown out some of the "noises". I don't crank it too loud, as this tends to send my brain & nerves into a tizzy!
I never have the TV on or any other noise going on with the radio, this includes using my pc, as I have found that this is one of those multi-task things.

I learned this little ear plug trick from another user on here by the name of Mark, & OMG what a life saver this trick has been!!

As far as reading, I still find it difficult to do unless it's broken up into short simple paragraphs. However, the rest of the world doesn't necessarily accommodate to me & my disability.

So when I have to read I have found it much easier to take a blank sheet of paper, put a small slit across it, just big enough for one (1) line of words, and read line by line, so this doesn't "over stimulate" my eyes as much.
By doing this my eyes aren't able to do the little "bouncing" thing they would otherwise do.
Yes, it's a pain in the tush, at times, but I'm learning to "SLOW DOWN" and do what works for me.
I've always had the mentality to "Do whatever it takes to get the job done".

There are a lot of excellent resources & tools on here. Pace yourself & read through some of these threads & adopt some of the "little tricks to the trade" per say that others have posted via feedback.
Even if you are only able to read them 5 mins at a time.

Good Luck to you! Take Care & God Bless,

Toni
Toni S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
aireyden (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Toni...

I think some of it is just my anxiety of the headache coming on...and not getting rid of it until I "SLEEP" again....resting does nothing for my headaches.

I'll try the earplug trick as I miss my Bruce Springsteen music!!
Old 03-19-2011, 11:18 AM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

read about 30 pages in my book last night. I'm soooo bored. I think that's why I woke up feeling crappy...am I wrong??

I need stuff to do...I'm going out of my mind.