advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 11:21 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default IMA exams for SSD application

HI! I applied for SSD in NYS back in November due to 10 hand surgeries, which left me with complex regional pain syndrome, but also for depression and anxiety. My question is, when being sent for a 10 minute body physical and a 10 minute psych evaluation, what does that do, make the final decision based on these visits? I had submitted everything the SSA asked for and they had all of my doctors information prior to this. If they saw my work history, it would be no doubt self explained. I worked for 25 years straight and am 40 years old. Any insight into the world of SS?
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM #2
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default Hi Sony

Hello to NY. If you are going to try for SSD. do look at the site on this opening page for discussion of social security. There is a thread with alot of us with SSD issues. The dive into getting your dissability will require you to do alot. You said you had two doctors that gave their opinion. You need letters from them, to present at your hearing. Get even more doctors if you can. Social security will have their own doctors, and a psych give you evaluations also. This is part of the process. I had a legal aid with an attorney to help me get to court for a hearing. I was denied twice and I was ever so grateful by the time I got before a judge. Keep track of all paperwork and keep copies of your medical records. You will be asked for them. and some docctors are slow to send records. I even have copies of my MRI's etc.
I do sugest talking to legal mania on the SSD thread with questions. She was wonderful to me and offered some sound suggestions to my problems with these agencies you have to deal with. Having letters from your PCP and all your doctors are just part of it. A legal rep. would help you too. Two quick sessions with your doctors would not be enough I think to present for dissabiltiy. Most doctors who believe you need the dissability will help you too receive it by writing the letters to your case worker. It can be a long process, so take it just a day at a time. If you get frustrated, just come back here and we will try to help too. Take it easy. it will work out. Ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:20 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yea, this all sounds like a roller coaster ride. My doctors did their letters and treatment histories, but SS sent me today for an IMA for a physical eval and psych eval that involved ten minutes each, only asking me questions. it took me longer to park the car and walk in the building! but i will check the other threads and main page. thanks!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:26 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny1 View Post
Yea, this all sounds like a roller coaster ride. My doctors did their letters and treatment histories, but SS sent me today for an IMA for a physical eval and psych eval that involved ten minutes each, only asking me questions. it took me longer to park the car and walk in the building! but i will check the other threads and main page. thanks!
Sonny1, my wife has RSD and was recently approved for SSDI last November. SS did send her to a doctor that lasted about 20 minutes. In our experience the doctor was very sympathetic and professional. He did write a report favorable to my wife's condition. She won her case.

You are correct Sonny1 in that how can a stranger evaluate your condition, especially RSD, in 10 minutes? My belief is SS wants to do a "looks see" to make sure no scam or a possibility of one is afoot before you join with the SS judge.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Just wondering if your mental issues are documented and for how far back.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:43 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimking View Post
Sonny1, my wife has RSD and was recently approved for SSDI last November. SS did send her to a doctor that lasted about 20 minutes. In our experience the doctor was very sympathetic and professional. He did write a report favorable to my wife's condition. She won her case.

You are correct Sonny1 in that how can a stranger evaluate your condition, especially RSD, in 10 minutes? My belief is SS wants to do a "looks see" to make sure no scam or a possibility of one is afoot before you join with the SS judge.
Well I guess maybe once the doctor saw all of the scars on my hands from the 10 surgeries, maybe he believed me. he had me make a fist (which is hard when neither thumb bends, due to metal screws fusing them 100%), he asked where the burning was, had me lift my arms as high as i could and that was it. The shrink asked me 10 questions that i already answered in the application for SSD. So, yes, maybe it was just to see me and what my demeanor was. Well being on so many med's, I am usually like a zombie any ways!! Glad your wife did not have trouble getting approved!
Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny1 View Post
Well I guess maybe once the doctor saw all of the scars on my hands from the 10 surgeries, maybe he believed me. he had me make a fist (which is hard when neither thumb bends, due to metal screws fusing them 100%), he asked where the burning was, had me lift my arms as high as i could and that was it. The shrink asked me 10 questions that i already answered in the application for SSD. So, yes, maybe it was just to see me and what my demeanor was. Well being on so many med's, I am usually like a zombie any ways!! Glad your wife did not have trouble getting approved!
Oh, there was plenty of trouble, years of it. She was denied 3 times. But she was only referred to an SS doc once and it was a positive one. Actually everything went much smoother after her visit with that doctor it seemed.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sonny,
I know there are differences from state to state, but to encourage you I was approved the first time for SSDI. I too have CRPS in both arms although mine started in my right arm/shoulder from a herniated disc that damaged the C5 nerve root and not multiple hand surgeries like yours. Luckily, I did not have to go through a medical or mental review like you did and was approved without ever seeing a doctor but I can't see how that would hurt you. Good luck. i hope you are approved quickly and the first time.
Cricket
Cricket183 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sonny,

My biggest tip would be reviewing your medical records yourself and seeing what they say. It is not enough for your doctors to say, "She is totally disabled and cannot work." The doctors have to explain WHY your condition makes you unable to work.

Look at your medical documentation and play devil's advocate with the information. For instance, and I don't mean to sound like a schmuck saying this and I have RSD myself so I understand what living with chronic pain is like......but, on what you have written here.....10 surgeries to one hand that now has limited range of motion.......why can't you get a job answering phones using your other hand ? That is the kind of question that your records have to address and answer. It's not just about 'what is wrong', it's about 'what impact that problem has on your ability to work'.

Does the increase in pain in your hand/arm after you shower and get dressed mean that you can't shower and dress many days ?

Does the loopy feeling from your meds and insomnia d/t pain mean that you can't drive most days ? Or if you could get to work and had a pain flare you couldn't get home ?

Does the pain get so bad you can't concentrate or have to lay down frequently ?

Basically, does the info in your medical records prove that you are unable to do something as simple as being a greeter at WallyWorld ?

Make sure the records focus on your functional limitations. Mine didn't until the end......and that's why I think it took 3 years for me to be approved.

Good luck

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (03-18-2011)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:08 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yes my medical gives the specifics of what these surgeries have done to limit my abilities and also leaves me higly restricted due to lack of range of motion, grip, strength etc. My psychologist has also clearly addressed my emotional state (or as i call it disaster). There are many days I do not function at all (not even getting up to shower). All documented. And they also explain how the CRPS (aside from pain 24/7) leaves me sleepless and the medications cause serious functional side affects. My shrink history goes back to 2007 and has ridden the same roller coaster as I have with all of the phsyical issues. The surgeries were on both hands, so i have significant loss of use (well my thumbs are pretty much 100% useless, which has caused tremendous compensation else where in the hands.

I appreciate everyones input. I only applied for DDS on the advise of my attorney!