Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 01:40 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Feel worse today and basically didn't do anything more yesterday

I woke up ok...within 2 hours was exhausted and my head hurts. I'm wildly dizzy which I haven't been this bad in a while.

The only thing more I did was read a little of my book. I didn't really increase anything. I felt pretty good yesterday too. I only watched 20 mins of tv at night...(we did go out to dinner for a bit...but I felt better in the restaurant than in the past...it was pretty quiet.

WHat's going on? Any ideas here??
wtrpk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-20-2011, 02:19 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sometimes I just have bad moments, hours, days for no reason that I can find. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

aireyden and others,

There is no value to charting each individual day. The changes, whether they are improvements or regressions, take weeks and months to see real change.

The anxiety from trying to explain each day would be far too much for me to handle. As we say at TBI support group, Turn the Page. Go on to the next day or even the next moment. Over time, the triggers will start to become obvious, or at least somewhat understandable.

Some triggers have a delay before the symptom appears. I can have a good night out and arrive home fine. The next day, I might be miserable. The repetitions of this scenario tells me that it was the good night out that caused the crash the next day.

Think of it as a tank of gas. You used up a lot of the gas the night or day before, so when you wake up from a common PCS nights sleep, you are still low on gas. The slightest strain causes a crash.

It can take me two days or more to recover from a outing. Sometimes, I store up reserve by being very low key the few days before. I had to prepare for a Work Comp hearing and was able to stay on top of things. After the hearing, I was wasted for almost two weeks.

These delayed or prolonged recoveries are very common, even among NT members.

As much as I am interested in the progress of others with PCS, I think it is better for the person to lay low rather than posting. The posting tends to aggravate the anxiety from the return of symptoms.

For me, the frustration was the worst. Once I learned to accept the symptoms and be free of the frustration, my days started to go better. I could not count how many times a day that I have to remind myself to let go of the frustration. But,,,,, knowing that the frustration only makes matters worse, I have learned to "Be Still."

I hope others can have the same success I have with letting go of the frustration.

If you only knew how many typos I make while trying to compose a post, you would understand how I need to let go of the frustration. My typing fingers tend to get out of sequence. Tehn, evreythning get smessde up. The red squigglies point me to my mess ups.

My best to you all.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedinPA (03-20-2011), Soccergal (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Yeah- being married probably helps in that you can (ideally) tell everything to your spouse & get intimate emotional support.

Single people may be more likely to search for this from a close friend, family member, or a forum, such as this.
Jeffrey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Actually, in my early days of PCS, I did not understand as well as I do now and my family was totally out of the loop. I was somewhat of an outcast with my struggles and behaviors. But I did figure out the need to Be Still.

After an earlier concussion in 1995 or 6, I developed a very apathetic attitude. This did not work well for me. The "I don't care" thought process is damaging. The "I can let go of or get beyond of what just happened and go on with life" has resulted in a much better state of mind and fullness of life.

Those in my TBI support group who are doing the best have also learned this 'Turn the page' attitude. It is liberating.

The only past that is bad is those times where we over-reacted and made things worse. The rest we can deal with and try to make amends if possible.

It is a philosophical or for some of us a religious decision to accept what has happened without making things worse by reacting or over-reacting.

It can take some serious and deep introspection.

Those of us who comment how our lives have changed for the better even though we still struggle with annoying and disabling symptoms have most likely arrived at this decision.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:52 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark I agree...it has made me realize what a wonderful husband I do have...and for that I am greatful...but I still need to get my life back so I can take care of my kids the way I need to and they need me.

I play mental gymnastics with "what did I do to make my symptoms worse today" all day long and need to stop. I think I will finally start to see improvements once I take that load off me...but don't seem to know how.

I am learning...do things in very short intervals...doesn't bring on the headache as strong.

Like computer...few mins...check here...do bills, etc...then off.

Just wish I could stop my mind from racing all day...the what if I try this or that...or what did I do yesterday that caused the dizziness so bad today...etc.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireyden View Post
Just wish I could stop my mind from racing all day...the what if I try this or that...or what did I do yesterday that caused the dizziness so bad today...etc.
I think we are all so used to such fast-paced lifestyles that the slow down we need seems to be a huge change. If I just live and don't think much about it I'm much better.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:04 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Yes, yes, yes, short intervals. It was like I was a butterfly.

Stop trying to fix yourself and then second guess yourself about yesterday. When you start to notice trends, then you will start to find answers. Some are successful keeping a journal. For me it was more ah ha moments when I finally connected the symptom with the trigger.

Take small steps and remember to "Turn the page."

I am so used to small intervals that I have to set the timer at the stove if I have a pot on. My habit of small intervals causes me to turn away from tasks like the stove easily. So, I set the timer for 5 minutes or even less to call me back to the stove.

I do this same thing working on cars. If someone watched me, they would think I am nuts. It is just how my mind works. If I find any kind of thought block, I quickly switch to something else and return tho the previous task a while later. It is very counter productive for me to try to push through the mental block.

Sounds like you are learning how to work with your mind. Be patient. These skills are slow to come.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ConcussedinPA (03-21-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:16 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Mark...could reading be causing the problem....could that make me over stimulated? I only read 60 or 70 pages of my book in 3 days...and in short intervals.

I know I shouldn't be looking for an answer ...as my friend calls it --the mental gymnastics -- but I just want to lay off what brought on the symptoms.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Reading could be a problem. It was for me. What kind of reading are you trying to do?

I found that I could not read overly descriptive articles. I do quite well reading technical information. I get overwhelmed by formatting that does not have enough paragraph spacing. Without paragraph double spacing ever 5 or 6 lines, I get overwhelmed trying to find the start of the next line.

If I tried to read fiction, I was easily over whelmed. There are just too many balls to juggle and keep in the air at the same time in most fiction. The many persons and plots, etc with descriptive terms is too much for my mind to handle. I can crash within a page or two.

If it is a newspaper article and the author uses too much "in the know" style, I get overwhelmed. Say the writer is writing about many people who he mentions once then not again until many paragraphs later, the writer will now abbreviate the name Dr Jonathan Strangename as Strangename. I will have to look back in the article until I find out who Strangename is. Otherwise, the writing become meaningless.

"In the know" is a common problem with doctors and professionals who live everyday using their knowledge. They forget that not many of us have the same 'in the know' knowledge. For those of us with PCS, the frustration comes when we start doubting ourselves for struggling to understand what the ?????? he is talking about. Our brains want to understand but we fail to understand and start blaming it on ourselves.

The basics of understanding the impact reading has is to become aware of the thought processes during reading. Do you reread the same line trying to understand it? Do you lose your place on the page? Do you struggle to keep all of the juggling balls (names, plots, timelines) in the air? Can you remember what you have already read and add to that information?

A trick that works for some is to use a reading aid that covers the text below the lines you are reading. By covering the other text, you are reducing the stimulus that your brain has to process. I have to do this if I need to fill out a complex form with lots of fill in the blank spaces. I will even put a blank paper over the text above and below where I am writing.

My 80 something MIL and her even older husband have found they can read much easier with a Kindle. They can limit the amount of text on the screen and make the type larger, etc. Many of the PCS symptoms are common to the elderly as their brains deteriorate. I sometimes say that I am a 50 something with an 80 year old brain.

I hope this is making sense and is helpful. Everyone has different experiences. I have just had years of various experiences to analyze and try to overcome. Some I do, others I don't overcome. Then, I just turn the page and go on.

My best to you.