Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome For traumatic brain injury (TBI) and post concussion syndrome (PCS).

advertisement

Old 03-23-2011, 02:12 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown Did anyone see or hear the latest episode of Celebrity Apprentice?

I am not normally a tv watcher, but I noticed that Celebrity Apprentice was on the other evening. Gary Busey was leading a eam of men, his charity was for brain injury.

Gary explained that he'd had a TBI back in the late 90's.

His processing speed is definitely slower than everyone else on the show, and I could certainly see how frustrated the others in his group were with him. While the celebrities know that Gary has had a brain injury, they weren't real sympathetic.

Instead, the celebrities got very frustrated with Gary. And Gary got frustrated with them. He felt as though he was emotionally alone.

That is like every one of us who have had TBI's. I just feel so bad for Gary! And it bothers me that others are laughing & frustrated with Gary's difficulty processing multiple areas.

Why is it okay for general society to make fun of those of us who are struggling to process information? It isn't okay. It isn't funny. It is sad to see this on tv, rather than just in my everyday life! The celebrities are supposed to be competing to supporting charities that they believe in.

Am I being overly-emotional about this? It just feels SO sad to me!

Shez

Last edited by shezbut; 03-23-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: to make more clear
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I didn't see the episode, nor do I watch the show anymore. I lost respect for Donald Trump after he threw the last Celebrity Apprentice to an undeserving candidate. God that angered me.

Anyways, i've seen a few clips of Gary. I think he's hilarious. I had no idea he suffered from a TBI. Doing a little research I found this:

"On December 4, 1988, Busey was severely injured in a motorcycle accident in which he was not wearing a helmet. His skull was fractured, and doctors feared he suffered permanent brain damage."

That explains why he seemed so out of it to me. That is very unfortunate. Knowing how a TBI can affect you and seeing someone made fun of for it would anger me too.

Just do what I do... Don't watch.
blackzest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
shezbut (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzest View Post
"On December 4, 1988, Busey was severely injured in a motorcycle accident in which he was not wearing a helmet. His skull was fractured, and doctors feared he suffered permanent brain damage."
Thanks blackzest for responding. I wasn't real clear on when his TBI occurred. I do remember that Gary Busey was a drinker and cocaine user before the accident. Hopefully, he's left that part in the past too!

I've always been adament about wearing helmets to protect your head, and have personally known many who didn't ~ and sufferred the consequences. Very sad possibility. Especially in current times, drivers are often oblivious of others. Not safe at all.

I'll go back to my nature shows ~ that's relaxing to me. No more of this "reality" stuff for me!

Shez
Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post
I'll go back to my nature shows ~ that's relaxing to me. No more of this "reality" stuff for me!
Shez
Yes Shezbut, relaxing TV is much more comforting. I prefer to be mellow than constantly on edge. Easier for the brain.
blackzest is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Just remember, a helmet is not a license to take risks. They reduce some injuries but not others. It is very easy to get a concussion while wearing a helmet. The total G forces are reduced by only a small amount is a high speed impact. They do best at reducing skull fractures.

I know someone who hit another motorcyclist head on. He was wearing a full face motocross helmet. He broke the helmet on the oncoming motorcyclist's helmet. The oncoming motorcyclist died at the scene and Victor suffered a concussion and broke his upper jaw bone (maxila) and the orbit of his eye.

Gary Busey's brain injury was most likely made much worse by his prior alcohol and cocaine abuse. It reduces the brain's ability to recover.

But, It is about time someone spoke up about Gary Busey's behavior as representative of many TBI and mTBI persons who are walking around as the invisible wounded.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:51 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Mark in Idaho,

True. Helmets aren't a license to drive like a madman. I don't think that's "okay" either.

I just think that general society doesn't know or understand squat about TBI's.

Shez