advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Child's backpay question

Can we use a small percentage of my 2 son's backpay toward a used car? Ours has met the dust, but not quite bitten it yet. We would like to buy a used one from my sister. It would be less we'd have to use from our mortgage fund (my husband isn't working). It is a really good deal.
I am thinking I can't do that....any thoughts?
All comments are welcome.
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Can we use a small percentage of my 2 son's backpay toward a used car? Ours has met the dust, but not quite bitten it yet. We would like to buy a used one from my sister. It would be less we'd have to use from our mortgage fund (my husband isn't working). It is a really good deal.
I am not positive, but from what I have gathered from reading in this forum is, u can use a percentage of it as long as it helps your child. Which if u dont have a vehicle, I could see it as ok??? If I am wrong, I hope someone corrects me.
I am in the same position,, I am a single mom and I dont have a car. I am hoping I can do the same thing as well!
Good luck!
lissabla39 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smile

Good luck to us both Lisabla!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Anyone else have any insight for us?
I called ssa and they said anything that is good for the health and welfare for your child is approved...well does a car fit that catagory?
PLEASE remember, only a portion, about 1/4th of the car's price will be from the kid's backpay.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:47 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes C, it does.

If you need a vehicle to transport the child, some of their ssdi benefit can pay fot it,,,,,,,especially because this is backpay, this is really reimbursing you for what you already spent on the child while waiting for the monthly benefit to begin.

Try to not worry so much !

Gee, this looks like a great place to sit and have a picnic with my yummy bone !
finz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:27 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you Finz! Your help is always appreciated!
Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblue View Post
Dear Cblue,

When you receive backpay from a disability claim have it be for yourself or your children you can use it for what ever you like. The logic is you spend money on your children all the time you waited to get approved so now they are paying you back because you successfully where granted a "fully favorable decision" with a onset date which could be 1,2 or 3 years demending on the individuals claim is processed. My backpay went all the way from 2004 to 2010. So you could imagine the dollars that they owed me and owed for my children. The reason it took so long it because I did not file until 2009 because I thought I would be able to go back to work FT but was not able. My accident was in 2003. Also, if you still have minor children attending full time school you also get a check every month for said child until there 18 or graduate HS. I received back pay for both of my children but only still get a monthly check for my daughter who is 16, but I did get backpay for my son because he was a minor during the years my claim was set up for, but I don't get a monthly check for him because he is 20 and in college,so he's done. I had a great case worker at the social security office locally and she really made me aware of all the benefits I was entitled to.

I hope this helped.

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:30 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbycakes View Post
Dear Cblue,

When you receive backpay from a disability claim have it be for yourself or your children you can use it for what ever you like.
I hope this helped.

Gabbycakes

Well, not exactly. First and foremost are the needs of the children and any money you get for a child is supposed to spent on his/her needs. Now a child does need food and shelter, but it is not correct that you can ignore the needs of the child and choose to spend the money any old way you want.

But it is also difficult for SSA to mandate and verify what some parents are doing and it is also impossible for SSA to force a non-disabled parent to go to work and not live off of the money paid for their child while providing the child a home.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janke View Post
Well, not exactly. First and foremost are the needs of the children and any money you get for a child is supposed to spent on his/her needs. Now a child does need food and shelter, but it is not correct that you can ignore the needs of the child and choose to spend the money any old way you want.

But it is also difficult for SSA to mandate and verify what some parents are doing and it is also impossible for SSA to force a non-disabled parent to go to work and not live off of the money paid for their child while providing the child a home.
This is how is was explained to me by my case worker:

The logic is you spend money on your children all the time you waited to get approved so now they are paying you back because you successfully where granted a "fully favorable decision" with a onset date which could be 1,2 or 3 years demending on the individuals claim is processed.

When you receive your monthly checks the one that comes in your childs name obviously is for supporting them.

Speak with your case worker also all the facts are on the SS Website.

Good luck

Gabbycakes
gabbycakes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hmmm..I am confused...so can I use a small bit of the kid's backpay for a car? Not a new one, a 2004...just for around here....we have everything we need within 4 miles of our house. Mine is on the way out the door.