advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Denial (shocker) lol...

Well I learned today that I was denied SSD. So on to appeal, which may not be bad since my diagnosis of CRPS came after applying for SSD. but to quote part of their denial report...
"Based on your age of 40, your education (associates degree in Criminal Justice) and years of work experience, we feel you could do light work for example:frequently carrying and lifting 20 lbs and walking/standing for most of the work day. This would be a suitable job as there is not much holding, grasping or otherwise working with your hands."

I seriously had to laugh at that, not to mention they say "your medical does show you have had a hand problem, but it is stabilized."

So no mention regarding the established depression & anxiety and no mention of the fact that both of my hands have problems. ( my left thumb is completely fused and right thumb is half fused.) (not saying that alone would allow me SSD) but to say it is stable? what does that mean? It is permanently damaged and has almost no use, is that considered stable? I knew going in to this is was going to be another fight, but ok then, on we go!
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny1 View Post
I seriously had to laugh at that, not to mention they say "your medical does show you have had a hand problem, but it is stabilized."

So no mention regarding the established depression & anxiety and no mention of the fact that both of my hands have problems. ( my left thumb is completely fused and right thumb is half fused.) (not saying that alone would allow me SSD) but to say it is stable? what does that mean? It is permanently damaged and has almost no use, is that considered stable? I knew going in to this is was going to be another fight, but ok then, on we go!
Do you have copies of your medical records including the doctor's notes? If you do, you need to read them. SSD is basing their denial on what was presented to them from all of your treating physicians...

I c u have a great sense of humor. You sure need it when dealing w/SS. Good luck w/your appeal.
Mz Migraine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Grin

Sonny....that truly makes me ill that they sent you a letter like that. Mine was something comparable to that....how exactly do they expect you to lift when you are unable to pick it up in the first place? With your teeth?
I got my approval at the ALJ level. In my state we don't have to go thru the reconsideration part.
Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.
Cblue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sonny1 (04-06-2011)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I do not have all of my Dr. notes. I am meeting with my attorney on Tuesday next week to get the appeal rolling. I do have most of the doctors notes from my hand surgeon. I will need to get the notes from my "shrink" as i call her and now my new pain management Dr. I only have a sense of humor about it all now because I am tired of feeling like I am going crazy and being angry. anger feeds the pain and I sure do not need that. I am fortunate to have a husband who can pay the bills. It is no ride in the park for him to carry the burden, but he pulls us through!
Sonny1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Well I learned today that I was denied SSD. So on to appeal, which may not be bad since my diagnosis of CRPS came after applying for SSD. but to quote part of their denial report...
"Based on your age of 40, your education (associates degree in Criminal Justice) and years of work experience, we feel you could do light work for example:frequently carrying and lifting 20 lbs and walking/standing for most of the work day. This would be a suitable job as there is not much holding, grasping or otherwise working with your hands."

I am very sorry to hear you were denied Sonny1. Did SSA ever send you to any mental or physical exams?
Shellback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

im going thru the same thing as you.i just had my "VA"concilor call me about it today.but you are so correct on the qualification on getting "SSD".i didnt go to college(blue collar),im a bit older(55yrs),and i cant lift or stand at all.the hardest part that you have working against you is your age and education level.im from NYalso just like you.i know what theyre like here
don1956 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Crps & ssdi

I am so sorry that you have CRPS, and to be denied SSDI. I too have CRPS and a ton of other dx's, and I have been denied twice so far. I am like you on the so called reason for denial. I am 39, I am an LPN (I had to quit nursing school in the last semester because I couldn't complete the clinicals). Since being hurt at work (which I loved my job, it was a life long dream), now I have become a depressed person who now cannot go anywhere alone, having panic attacks, in so much pain from head to toe that I have become a person who has problems finishing a thought, completing a sentence, I don't go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.
I only wish these boobs at SSA could spend one day with us to see how we suffer in pain, and how we do things that most people can complete quickly and it takes us twice as long and we have to take breaks and how we suffer in pain. I am sorry for ranting but I get so frustrated seeing how many people get denied over and over and we are the ones who hurt so bad all the time, and you see someone with a handicap sticker and an electric scooter and they get SSDI because they can't work because they are 500 lbs. (and not have a gland problem)!!!!

I guess what we need are those people who have finally gotten approved, if you guys can let us know how you got approved and how you made it through the time? (like the physical and psychologically part of it)

Okay I am done ranting, thanks for letting me.
Hobbles
hobbles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbles View Post
I am so sorry that you have CRPS, and to be denied SSDI. I too have CRPS and a ton of other dx's, and I have been denied twice so far. I am like you on the so called reason for denial. I am 39, I am an LPN (I had to quit nursing school in the last semester because I couldn't complete the clinicals). Since being hurt at work (which I loved my job, it was a life long dream), now I have become a depressed person who now cannot go anywhere alone, having panic attacks, in so much pain from head to toe that I have become a person who has problems finishing a thought, completing a sentence, I don't go anywhere unless absolutely necessary.
I only wish these boobs at SSA could spend one day with us to see how we suffer in pain, and how we do things that most people can complete quickly and it takes us twice as long and we have to take breaks and how we suffer in pain. I am sorry for ranting but I get so frustrated seeing how many people get denied over and over and we are the ones who hurt so bad all the time, and you see someone with a handicap sticker and an electric scooter and they get SSDI because they can't work because they are 500 lbs. (and not have a gland problem)!!!!

I guess what we need are those people who have finally gotten approved, if you guys can let us know how you got approved and how you made it through the time? (like the physical and psychologically part of it)

Okay I am done ranting, thanks for letting me.
Hobbles
Hang in there hobbles, you'll get approved. My wife who has RSD was approved for SSDI last nov. 2 with 3.5 years back pay. It took sometime with 2 rejections and close to a third but I kept pushing. What bothers me the most is those who are really in bad shape physically and mentally, because of all the pain, have no one to help them through the process, forcing many to fall into cracks in the system. If you have a advocate that would be great, if not keep fighting, get a good lawyer who specializes in SS and get those doctors in your corner in writing (maintain doctor records). You will prevail. Like I've said on the RSD threads, No one fakes RSD-CPRS, there is no winging it. I say this because many with RSD feel guilty, because of ignorance from family, friends, employers, doctors. Feelings of guilt because of SS rejects their claim. But in time you will win your benefit that you paid for because in-fact you are disabled from this disease.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 AM #9
Elder

10 yr Member
Elder

10 yr Member
Default hello hobbles

Dear Hobbles, Keep trying for SSD. Don't give up. I was denied twice, even with a doctors written letter, stating I was totally disabled with NO chance of recovery. This same letter,( that was for what ever reason was not looked at during my appeals}, was presented in court. I was very happy to be in court, and was given my dissability on the spot. I was so dissapointed for so long, and it turned out OK. I hope all of you get to a hearing of some kind, where you can talk to a judge and present yourselves. The process is so slow, and it seems so unfair to so many. I wish you all the best. ginnie
ginnie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree with ginnie 100%. It makes absolutely no sense to me why so many claims that should obviously be approved intially are denied. I filed in January 2006 and like so many other claimants was denied twice, appealed twice and had to go before a judge in a hearing in May 2009. It took all of 15 minutes to have my case read, a few questions asked and disability approval granted. My attorney surmised that the judge had already made up his mind to approve me before the hearing began due to all of the documentation that backed my claim but just went ahead and asked a few questions for the formality of it all. So basically there was no reason to not grant approval the first time.

I thank God that I was finally approved but am still irritated about the stressfull process that so many others are put through to get approval of benefits that they rightly deserve from day one of filing their disability claim.

To everyone who has been denied, keep fighting, and fighting and fighting. You will prevail in the end! I know it gets hard but keep the faith. Your day will come and a very nice check for backpay along with it!

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shari
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote