Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 09:09 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default deep brain stimulation?

I have been offered DBS at Vanderbuilt university in nashville!
I hear it's the best. can anyone relate their experience!
BUZZZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 10:26 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Dbs

Hi BUZZ;
if you are asking about my own DBS experience and current status, you might check out my recent post and ensuing thread "DBS (Deep Brain Stimulation) may not be for everyone?" In spite of my own experience, DBS may be a good option for you. My best to you,
Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZZ View Post
I have been offered DBS at Vanderbuilt university in nashville!
I hear it's the best. can anyone relate their experience!
2snowbells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BUZZZ (09-12-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 02:35 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

txpressmen had his DBS done there..You might want to pm him
BUZZZ (09-12-2011)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:23 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't vouch for Vanderbuilt University in Nashville. I too have recently been offered DBS at Ohio State University Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. At this point I don't know if I will go through with it but I am going to go for the appointment and check it out further.
BUZZZ (09-12-2011)
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 AM #5
TonyaV

TonyaV

Default DBS: Easy to get, but is it easy to live with afterwards.

In my support group there are many PWPs who have had DBS. I don't know the percentage, but it seems to be about 20%. Although, that may be a little high.

It seems so easy to go to the neurologist, agree on the brain surgery, set up a date, and go in and have it done. No big deal, right?

Well, out of all the people I've talked to or heard speak of their DBS surgery, in person or on-line, I'm not too impressed with the overall improvement or long-term outlook for the future.
Progression still happens, and stress still seems to be a major cause of it.
The device has to be turned up/adjusted often, it seems.

Also, I've read or heard many people who have had the DBS talk about adverse effects: infections in their brains, bleeding, leads in the wrong spots, going back in again and again to fix problems, more surgeries.

You also hear of many successes. A good friend of mine had it done one year ago this month. His was a success and he even went off of Sinemet. But, in this last year, he fell and broke his neck, and then fell 3 more times, had back surgery because of the fall damaging his sciatic nerve, and went through rehabilitation to walk again without assistance. He is doing great today. Walks 2 miles a day and has a great attitude.
If you ask me, it seems to be all in the attitude. People seem to improve because of their attitude and determination to get better by eating right and exercising and prayer or meditation.

But, there are also PWPs, who have great attitudes, that end up disappointed after having the DBS.

All I am saying is I am not sold or convinced yet about DBS. I'm not willing to jump on the band wagon until I have solid proof that it makes PWP's lives much better AND slows the progression. Why would I want surgery performed in my brain to control the symptoms when I can take pills that will do that. (Well, hopefully, they will work better for me someday. It is up to me to do the right things to make it happen, I think.)

These are just my thoughts and opinions from what I've seen or witnessed.
I've had PD over 9 yrs and am 44 yrs old. It isn't easy to put up with through the day. Most of the time it is d*** hard!
But, DBS is a major step and can change your life for the better or the worse with one surgery.

Anyone out there who has had it and would like to tell me/us how great your life is now. (Sounds sarcastic, but not meant to be in the least bit.)
I just want to know some good stories about an excellent outcome.

Thanks,
Tonya

Last edited by TonyaV; 09-10-2011 at 12:41 PM.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tremorgrrrl (09-11-2011)