advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 10:28 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Long Strange Trip

My initial claim was filed in Sept. of 2002 by my father while I was in a coma. My claim was for traumatic brain injury. As my residual problems weren't as obvious as diminished capacity the process has been like trying to ascend a slippy slope. I was denied benefits all the way through my appeal of the first ALJ's decision. My second filing was in Oct. 2005. I was denied benefits by a second ALJ. After discovering my attorney failed to submit medical documentation requested by the ALJ. I fired the guy and submitted the medical documentation that was requested by the ALJ to the Appeals Council. The Appeals Council remanded my case back to the ALJ last Dec. In a hearing the beginning of this month I was given a Fully Favorable decision at the end of a hearing that lasted all of 15 minutes. My date of disability is dated Sept. 2005, minus the 5 five month waiting period I believe my pay should be about 5 years, unless there is something I'm misunderstanding. If I'm correct about how back pay is calculated that would put my back pay at a a little over 6 figures.

I was fortunate to be covered by a Long Term Disability Policy and made enough money at the time of my accident that I've been fortunate enough to not need any public assistance or touch the SSI Windfall bear trap I've been reading about. I'm just curious if it's as common as most postings indicate about having issues with the time frame of receipt of benefits and backpay?

bbarry
bbarry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarry View Post
My initial claim was filed in Sept. of 2002 by my father while I was in a coma. My claim was for traumatic brain injury. As my residual problems weren't as obvious as diminished capacity the process has been like trying to ascend a slippy slope. I was denied benefits all the way through my appeal of the first ALJ's decision. My second filing was in Oct. 2005. I was denied benefits by a second ALJ. After discovering my attorney failed to submit medical documentation requested by the ALJ. I fired the guy and submitted the medical documentation that was requested by the ALJ to the Appeals Council. The Appeals Council remanded my case back to the ALJ last Dec. In a hearing the beginning of this month I was given a Fully Favorable decision at the end of a hearing that lasted all of 15 minutes. My date of disability is dated Sept. 2005, minus the 5 five month waiting period I believe my pay should be about 5 years, unless there is something I'm misunderstanding. If I'm correct about how back pay is calculated that would put my back pay at a a little over 6 figures.

I was fortunate to be covered by a Long Term Disability Policy and made enough money at the time of my accident that I've been fortunate enough to not need any public assistance or touch the SSI Windfall bear trap I've been reading about. I'm just curious if it's as common as most postings indicate about having issues with the time frame of receipt of benefits and backpay?

bbarry
It is reasonable to expect a first check 30-60 days from the favorable decision and retroactive benefits 60-90 days later. Most claims go smoothly and you don't read about those on this site.

You may have a denied SSI claim that is on the system even if you never were or never will be paid SSI.
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It seems my wife's SSDI retro pay---3.5 years is being hung up because of SSI. It's been five months now and it seems SS is still searching to see if my wife collected SSI in which she didn't.
Jimking is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote