Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Blood flow to the Brain...possibly related ?

How a patch for your neck could keep Alzheimer's at bay
By Pat Hagan
Last updated at 12:27 AM on 12th April 2011

A skin patch that sticks on to the neck and boosts blood flow to the brain could be a radical new treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
The electronic device, about the size of a matchbox, uses infrared light to relax and widen the carotid arteries, which run from the heart to the brain.
This boosts blood flow
The gadget is thought to work by boosting the production of the natural body chemical nitric oxide, which helps to relax the muscles that line the arteries.
Laboratory tests show that infrared light — the kind used in night vision goggles — penetrates the skin and stimulates an enzyme in blood vessels called mitochondrial cytochrome C oxidase, which triggers the release of nitric oxide.
This makes the artery widen, increasing the space available for blood to flow through to the brain.

The stick-on patch, which would be left on for several hours at a time, contains a light-emitting device placed directly over one or both carotid arteries, which run a few millimetres beneath the skin on both sides of the neck.
Alzheimer’s affects an estimated 750,000 Britons and the number is expected to more than double in the next 40 years as the elderly population increases.
Over the past 30 years, the search for new drugs and treatments has focused on the theory that the disease is caused by the build-up of harmful deposits in the brain.
Tiny fragments of protein, called amyloid plaques, clump together and stick to the outside of brain cells, called neurons, instead of being broken down and flushed away, as in a healthy brain.
As these clumps get bigger, they stop the nerve cells from talking to each other, disrupting memory, mood and behaviour.
But in recent years, studies have suggested reduced blood flow to the brain may be a crucial factor.
The theory is that a restricted blood supply not only deprives the brain of essential nutrients, but also disrupts the disposal of waste products that get flushed out of the body when blood carries them back to the liver.
Some researchers think this accumulation of waste products may be what eventually leads to the build-up of brain deposits.
In 2009, a major Australian study that analysed ten years of data from dozens of smaller investigations showed that taking drugs to lower blood pressure halved the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Researchers from the University of New South Wales said that high blood pressure stiffens arteries and restricts blood flow to the parts of the brain that govern memory.
Doctors already know that another disease, called vascular dementia, is caused by poor blood supply to the brain, often due to smoking, a high-fat diet and lack of exercise. The manufacturers of the neck patch, U.S. firm Clarimedix Inc, say that if trials are successful it could be available for use within two to three years.
Dr Simon Ridley, head of research at Alzheimer’s Research UK, said it was too early to say if the patch would be a new line of treatment.
He added that the link between blood supply to the brain and Alzheimer’s is attracting great scientific interest.
‘There is a drive in research towards understanding how blood flow problems are connected to dementia and increased inflammation in the brain,’ he says.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1JOyp0gsc
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (04-15-2011), lindylanka (04-13-2011), moondaughter (04-13-2011)

advertisement
Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Thumbs up light will be the future of medicine

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugen68 View Post
How a patch for your neck could keep Alzheimer's at bay
By Pat Hagan
Last updated at 12:27 AM on 12th April 2011

A skin patch that sticks on to the neck and boosts blood flow to the brain could be a radical new treatment for Alzheimer’s disease.
The electronic device, about the size of a matchbox, uses infrared light to relax and widen the carotid arteries, which run from the heart to the brain.
This boosts blood flow
The gadget is thought to work by boosting the production of the natural body chemical nitric oxide, which helps to relax the muscles that line the arteries.
Laboratory tests show that infrared light — the kind used in night vision goggles — penetrates the skin and stimulates an enzyme in blood vessels called mitochondrial cytochrome C oxidase, which triggers the release of nitric oxide.
This makes the artery widen, increasing the space available for blood to flow through to the brain.

The stick-on patch, which would be left on for several hours at a time, contains a light-emitting device placed directly over one or both carotid arteries, which run a few millimetres beneath the skin on both sides of the neck.
Alzheimer’s affects an estimated 750,000 Britons and the number is expected to more than double in the next 40 years as the elderly population increases.
Over the past 30 years, the search for new drugs and treatments has focused on the theory that the disease is caused by the build-up of harmful deposits in the brain.
Tiny fragments of protein, called amyloid plaques, clump together and stick to the outside of brain cells, called neurons, instead of being broken down and flushed away, as in a healthy brain.
As these clumps get bigger, they stop the nerve cells from talking to each other, disrupting memory, mood and behaviour.
But in recent years, studies have suggested reduced blood flow to the brain may be a crucial factor.
The theory is that a restricted blood supply not only deprives the brain of essential nutrients, but also disrupts the disposal of waste products that get flushed out of the body when blood carries them back to the liver.
Some researchers think this accumulation of waste products may be what eventually leads to the build-up of brain deposits.
In 2009, a major Australian study that analysed ten years of data from dozens of smaller investigations showed that taking drugs to lower blood pressure halved the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
Researchers from the University of New South Wales said that high blood pressure stiffens arteries and restricts blood flow to the parts of the brain that govern memory.
Doctors already know that another disease, called vascular dementia, is caused by poor blood supply to the brain, often due to smoking, a high-fat diet and lack of exercise. The manufacturers of the neck patch, U.S. firm Clarimedix Inc, say that if trials are successful it could be available for use within two to three years.
Dr Simon Ridley, head of research at Alzheimer’s Research UK, said it was too early to say if the patch would be a new line of treatment.
He added that the link between blood supply to the brain and Alzheimer’s is attracting great scientific interest.
‘There is a drive in research towards understanding how blood flow problems are connected to dementia and increased inflammation in the brain,’ he says.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz1JOyp0gsc
VERY interesting - circulation is so fundamental to biological as well as subtle energy function. Reading our post I am reminded of the positive results that come from upper cervical chiropractic and TMJ adjustments to PWP that also increase blood flow through the carotid arteries. Just this morning I heard something on the radio about light patches for alopecia!! REALLY cool therapy - thanks md

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
~ Nikola Tesla
moondaughter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Possible cervical spine injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaughter View Post
VERY interesting - circulation is so fundamental to biological as well as subtle energy function. Reading our post I am reminded of the positive results that come from upper cervical chiropractic and TMJ adjustments to PWP that also increase blood flow through the carotid arteries. Just this morning I heard something on the radio about light patches for alopecia!! REALLY cool therapy - thanks md
Interesting idea! I've had some rather nasty auto crashes resulting in cervical spine injury. I also recall several years ago that a doctor referred to the possibility that I have some sort of circulatory entrapment???? He talked about a possible surgery to my collar bone to increase blood flow. Frankly in those pre-PD days, I was young, feeling pretty spunky and really not interested in someone drilling holes in my shoulder so, I retreated and thought nothing more of it other than I always noticed that if I straightened my shoulders too much, I would feel light headed. I adopted the habit of a bit of a slouch and no lightheadedness... problem solved? Not really. Now I look back on all of it and wonder.
I have poked around a bit and come up with this... http://www.nucca.org/
They seem to suggest that specifically trained chiropractors might help. I found only one practicing this in my area (southern California). I haven't checked it out as yet... a bit worried about getting into one more expensive experiment. I think I will at least do an initial visit and will report back.
I did find some claims on the web. Not recommending these folks at all but just for reading...
http://www.ucc-ny.com/conditions-treated/parkinson.html
http://nuccadoctordavis.com/2011/03/...he-upper-neck/
madamlash is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote