advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SSDI and Online College Courses???

Hi,
I'm new to the SSD Board. I have been on SSDI due to Myathenia Gravis (a Neuromuscluar Autoimmune disease) since 2006. I filed in January 2006, was denied twice, appealed twice and my case was approved in about 20 minutes during the hearing in May 2009.

As many of you know, being disabled can really strip one of their self worth and sense of value. I'm a Christian and if it had not been for the Lord on my side I don't know where I would be. I feel a calling to encourage those who are Chronically Ill and are in SSDI limbo while waiting for approval.

I was interested in enrolling in a Christian University and taking online courses for Christian Ministry. The program is set up so you only take one course at a time.I'm not looking to take these courses for any type of employment upon completion as I am still very much disabled. It is moreso to give me a sense of purpose, better equip me to encourage other chronically ill people and to keep my mind off of my own disability.

I was wondering if doing this would have an effect on my SSDI benefits?
I actually contacted my disability attorney, asked him this question and was told that it shouldn't affect my SSDI but I thought I would ask for opinions from other people on SSDI who may have firsthand knowledge on this subject.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 AM #2

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

If education was a red flag, I would be up *****'s creek taking graduate courses in person.

In your situation it would be hard to see how taking one course online could signal significant improvement in functioning in the work place. Remember, the onus is on SSA to prove that you are no longer impaired, and this is hard for them to do and only happens less than 10% per CDR if I remember correctly
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 AM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks EducatedAsylum,
I was hoping that taking one class at a time online wouldn't jeopardize my SSDI. I haven't had a review yet and don't know when I'm up for one.

I'm just trying to get an Assoicates Degree. Not so I can get a job and make money. Just for the personal satisfaction of knowing that I can do something with my mind other than sit around and think about how disabled I am.

I commend you for continuing your education in spite of your disability.

How much longer do you have until you are done?
Old 04-16-2011, 05:15 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks Shari, good luck in your studies as well. I don't think that SSA expects people who are disabled not to go on living their lives in some fashion. I think most people on SSA attempt to work or attempt to education themselves for whatever reason, they just don't sit around stir crazy and bored to death (at least thats what I hope SSA understands).

I'll actually be done at the end of next year (Fall 2012)

Good luck in your studies, that is actually an area of study most Christians wouldn't mind learning about, but dont always have the opportunity to

Last edited by EducatedAsylum; 04-16-2011 at 05:54 PM.
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement I think that now is the perfect opportunity for me to do this and will give me some sense of purpose. I can't say that enough because so much has been taken away from me due to my illnesses. I'm sure everyone in this forum understands what I'm talking about.

I'm waiting to hear how much financial aid I'm going to receive. My husband works fulltime and his salary isn't much plus we have two children so I still qualify for some financial aid. I'm trying to apply for scholarships and am looking for some for the disabled. I Really don't want to take out any loans because I'm not expecting to work again and won't have the finances to pay them back when and if I actually finish school.

I'm just excited to be doing something even if it doesn't amount to much.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:17 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari_W View Post

I was wondering if doing this would have an effect on my SSDI benefits?
I actually contacted my disability attorney, asked him this question and was told that it shouldn't affect my SSDI but I thought I would ask for opinions from other people on SSDI who may have firsthand knowledge on this subject.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless
I was attending college when awarded SS first time no denial. I think it helped as potential to have gainful employment.

Since then I work pt under the ticket to work program.
Good luck and fly like a bird in your pursuit.

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 01:40 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you DiMarie

I've always wondered about the Ticket To Work Program, not that I can even entertain the thought of working at this time. Once you get on that does SS expect you to eventually work full time? How does that affect your benefits if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:38 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shari_W View Post
Thank you DiMarie

I've always wondered about the Ticket To Work Program, not that I can even entertain the thought of working at this time. Once you get on that does SS expect you to eventually work full time? How does that affect your benefits if you don't mind me asking?
I did not need my ticket to work, it really did nothing except assist in my computer and software for school, and work. I gave our local participant my ticket and never had a review over the ten years.

I had a letter from s/s that I have not had any gainful employment, reportable quarters or medical improvement.

I work pt time, using my brain the education I acquired, some months it is $600-800 with mileage reimbursement, others I may not have work referrals for three months in a row. I recuperate during that time.

Right now it is super busy with winter storm damage, vehicle claims, and slip and falls. I have my P.I. license and work for an insurance adjusting company in the special investigation unit. But they are so busy to keep me working the last 4 months I have done property damage, and other claims.
My husband drives me, assist with measurements. I do the invest. and computer reports to the company.

I have sacrificed the ability to get any laundry done, house clean, just getting showered, dressed and doing a claim is painful. I could never have anyone in my house to visit I would be so embrassed. I don't know the last time I dusted and scrubbed and noone here does it right. They just do what I ask, eventually. I try...I sit on the computer chair to scrub the floor or use a rag on my foot to wipe up.

i live in my recliner doing the reports and photos for claims. Getting reports from estimators, comtractors, police depts. etc during days I am not on the road.
Along with cervical and lubar, I have fybromyalgia and sever CT. syn.
I need to keep a roof over our head, and I do enjoy being praised for the work I do.

I also do subcontracting as family advocate to supervise visitations of parents by orders. Keeping family out of the system keeps money in their pockets and not the attorney's.
But, I get the worse cases, the parents that are in jail, on illegal drugs, abusive. So a lot of times it is not pretty. But the kids love the visits, they still love Mom or Dad.
Whatever you choose, you have to enjoy your life,there will be sacrifices, pain being one. But so many rewards.
di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:38 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiMarie View Post
I did not need my ticket to work, it really did nothing except assist in my computer and software for school, and work. I gave our local participant my ticket and never had a review over the ten years.
di
Are you saying that Social Security will pay for some educational expenses incurred by a SSDI recipient if they choose to pursue higher education?

Last edited by Shari_W; 04-17-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:28 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

[QUOTE=DiMarie;763092].

I work pt time, using my brain the education I acquired, some months it is $600-800 with mileage reimbursement, others I may not have work referrals for three months in a row. I recuperate during that time.

I have been debating continuing my education-wasnt sure how it was viewed. Your line of work is what I always wanted to pursue due to the ability to "sub contract" or work at will...What kind of courses did you take to be qualified for this type of job?
astarlight1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote