15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default the brain is shaped by bacteria in the digestive tract

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...AT_MB_20110420

The Neuroscience of the Gut
Strange but true: the brain is shaped by bacteria in the digestive tract
By Robert Martone | April 19, 2011

Researchers track the gut-brain connection

... Scientists from the Karolinska Institute in Sweden and the Genome Institute of Singapore led by Sven Pettersson recently reported in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that normal gut flora, the bacteria that inhabit our intestines, have a significant impact on brain development and subsequent adult behavior.

... these bacteria have been implicated in the development of neurological and behavioral disorders. For example, gut bacteria may have an influence on the body’s use of vitamin B6, which in turn has profound effects on the health of nerve and muscle cells. They modulate immune tolerance and, because of this, they may have an influence on autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis. They have been shown to influence anxiety-related behavior, although there is controversy regarding whether gut bacteria exacerbate or ameliorate stress related anxiety responses. In autism and other pervasive developmental disorders, there are reports that the specific bacterial species present in the gut are altered and that gastrointestinal problems exacerbate behavioral symptoms. A newly developed biochemical test for autism is based, in part, upon the end products of bacterial metabolism.

But this new study is the first to extensively evaluate the influence of gut bacteria on the biochemistry and development of the brain.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (04-24-2011), krugen68 (04-22-2011), mrsD (04-22-2011), paula_w (04-22-2011)

advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks!

Olsen
I believe this theory is one of the closest to finding a cure - at least in my case.

I have had intestinal problems for my entire life. If it isn't constipation, it's diarrhea or stomach pain.

And another point about why I ascribe to this wave of thinking is this. What I eat (or don't eat) makes all ther difference in the world in the efficacy of my medication regime.

For example, I don't eat enough protein, but if I gulp down even a "small" steak (less than 5 oz), I am sure to have a horrible "off" period either the day of ingestion or the next day. Milk products similarly affect my mobility. Most of the time I am craving sweet things. But sweets can also make my meds less effective.

When others say "it's all in your head," I reply "Yes, and my gut, too!"

Peggy
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote