Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Smirk Help for New PWP - Career, friends, support

Hi, I am newly diagnosed at age 52. I was unemployed when i received the diagnosis and am now "underemployed" and desperately want to return to my career. My medications mask my symptoms most of the time and I have only told my family and 2-3 close friends of my diagnosis. I struggle to find employment (i was a VP before i got my diagnosis) and now that I have PD i am wrestling with whether to tell my colleagues (I think not at this stage) but I want a position that allows time for essential exercise while also paying a decent salary and providing me with a meaningful challenge.
Some days I feel like a wreck, other days i think I can conquer the world. My husband is pretty much in denial as is my sister who is local. I have another sister out of state who understands. My mom also has PD and is in the stages of aggressive dementia. (i pretty much diagnosed myself with PD and one relative, my mom's sister, had the audacity to suggest my PD was due to sympathy for my mom - edit - what nerve she has). Anyways, I need someone who is in their 50's, mid-career, who can help me navigate my employment and new status as a PWP.

Beth

Last edited by Jomar; 04-30-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: per NT guidelines on religion
Beth A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Please read my profile before reading this reply....

I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST you contact Parkison's Resources[of Oregon for a copy of "CRITICAL INFOMATION FOR THE PARKINSON'S PATIENT."

QUOTE=Beth A;766456]Hi, I am newly diagnosed at age 52. I was unemployed when i received the diagnosis and am now "underemployed" and desperately want to return to my career. My medications mask my symptoms most of the time and I have only told my family and 2-3 close friends of my diagnosis. I struggle to find employment (i was a VP before i got my diagnosis) and now that I have PD i am wrestling with whether to tell my colleagues (I think not at this stage) but I want a position that allows time for essential exercise while also paying a decent salary and providing me with a meaningful challenge.
Some days I feel like a wreck, other days i think I can conquer the world. My husband is pretty much in denial as is my sister who is local. I have another sister out of state who understands. My mom also has PD and is in the stages of aggressive dementia. (i pretty much diagnosed myself with PD and one relative, my mom's sister, had the audacity to suggest my PD was due to sympathy for my mom - edit - what nerve she has). Anyways, I need someone who is in their 50's, mid-career, who can help me navigate my employment and new status as a PWP.

Beth[/QUOTE]
Old 05-01-2011, 04:31 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Beth,
Welcome to Neurotalk! I am glad you posted here seeking support as a new PwP, that is a step in the right direction (IMHO) and you seem clear as to what you are looking for...
Code:
I need someone who is in their 50's, mid-career, who can help me navigate my employment and new status as a PWP.
CODE] want a position that allows time for essential exercise while also paying a decent salary and providing me with a meaningful challenge.
[/CODE]

Your thoughts as a new PwP sound very familiar to me, and I can relate to your interest in career despite PD etc., I am in biomedical research, worked in biotech industry as well as academic institutions. I tried my best to keep my career on track for almost 10 years with PD. I loved my work and in fact, my passion for research kept me somewhat sane right after PD diagnosis and shaping my post-lab career which started two weeks ago. Yes, a meaningful job is quite important to keep you going, but it does not have to be what you are doing right now. New job could be an extension or a slight deviation of what you are trained to do. I do not know what your field of expertise is, if its biology, there are many opportunities. It took me several years to realize this, as I was more focused on what I was giving up rather than the opportunities that are opening up. Though, I must admit that these new avenues are exciting, financial rewards are not as comparable! Like most people here would tell you, you have to choose between busy life with money and more time for yourself with limited money.....I am not sure which one is more stressful!??
To tell or not to tell:
My approach to dealing with PD (at work) was to be open about PD which made me a lot more relaxed. My colleagues were patient, and understanding when I needed extra time or help to finish a task. When I was changing jobs,
I told my employer after the job offer came thru. There are a few threads on NT about this issue (I think about an year ago, you can search for those posts if you like).

I am in San Diego, and know a few PwPs in Southern Cal who are very helpful. Pl send me a PM if you want to talk more or meet for a cup of coffee! Oh, by the way, there are two PD-related conferences coming up in May, one at UC Irvine, another one at Carlsbad, I can forward that info if you like.

Girija

PS: Sorry, my post sounds a little rushed, I just wanted to reply quickly, and yes I am rushing!!

QUOTE=Beth A;766456]Hi, I am newly diagnosed at age 52. I was unemployed when i received the diagnosis and am now "underemployed" and desperately want to return to my career. My medications mask my symptoms most of the time and I have only told my family and 2-3 close friends of my diagnosis. I struggle to find employment (i was a VP before i got my diagnosis) and now that I have PD i am wrestling with whether to tell my colleagues (I think not at this stage) but I want a position that allows time for essential exercise while also paying a decent salary and providing me with a meaningful challenge.

Beth[/QUOTE]
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:17 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Link

I'm not 53 any more but I was when I was diagnosed. It took me to my knees. But life does in deed, go on. I only worked four years after my diagnosis, largely because of the work I did rather than my level of progression.

If I were to offer any advice it would be not to conceal your condition. You will find out quickly enlough who is in your corner and who is not. You are probably better equiped to cope with it now than you will be later. Besides consealing is incredibly tiring and can use huge amounts of your scarce energy. In place of withholding information I would suggest getting involved with other people with Parkinson. You will find a great community of people from whom you need hide nothing and who can understand what your issues are even before you have been able to define them yourself.

There is much work to be done and in the beginning you have the best chance of achieving great things. Don't waste your best years in self-pity and anger. Use this time to make a contribution. THis is from someone who didn't. So much time wasted that could have been put to good use. There are so many opportunities for the newly diagnosed, take advantage.

I know it's difficult now to look at the future, everything is so scary, there are so many questions. The changes come more slowly than you expect and adjusting to new issues can usually be done in small pieces. The good time you have is limited, but probably not as limited as you think. Besides. it is so much better to look back with pride than with regret.

Last edited by pkell; 05-02-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: spelling goofs
pkell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:15 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Was also in your position somewhat, around 10 years ago, except that I was free-lancing. Managed 3-4 years post dx, but multi-tasking just got too difficult as I got slower. Would agree with Pam on disclosing. Getting it out in the open will reduce stress, and do you want to work with people who would find it a problem? There is definitely life after PD, and if I had a better support system I would have been working, at least part time for longer. I still use my work skills now, and my life is if anything more interesting than it was. Thanks to some amazing people with PD!

Best wishes with finding some solutions, I know from experience that each person needs to tailor what they do to their own needs, but there are many of us who have gone through the same sort of issues and feelings, more than a few are here, and it is a helpful and supportive place to come.

Lindy
lindylanka is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
employment in la, need friends in la, p d at age 52