Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 04:58 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default looking for advice on supplements to take for PD

I was advised to contact Mrsd for advice on supplements to take. I have recently been diagnosed and I want to stave off the drugs route for as long as possible. I'm not sure how to use this forum yet, so I'm asking Mrsd to contact me if possible! Thankyou.( Also anyone else who has relevant advice). Kind regards, Ladybird.
ladybird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-04-2011, 05:34 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Welcome to NeuroTalk.

I am flattered, about the referral...but I know very little about Parkinson's and the supplements for it. Reverett here is basically very knowledgeable and has tried many things.

Start a thread, with the question in it here on the PD forum.
Posters will come and answer.

I can help with other medical support, like B12, Vit D, and some other supplements if you have questions after you see what they say. Alot depends on what is going on with you. Most PD patients will have other issues besides the PD. So all that must be taken into consideration.

You can always private message me (PM with specific questions) and I'll try to help or direct you to someone who can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybird View Post
I was advised to contact Mrsd for advice on supplements to take. I have recently been diagnosed and I want to stave off the drugs route for as long as possible. I'm not sure how to use this forum yet, so I'm asking Mrsd to contact me if possible! Thankyou.( Also anyone else who has relevant advice). Kind regards, Ladybird.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:24 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default I wish it were clearcut

Since we don't know what causes PD we aren't in a position to address it as a whole. My own approach is to look at it as a collection of damaging processes and try to thwart them. For example, there is strong reason to suspect inflammation as a major force. Ditto for oxidation and mitochondrial problems as well. Stress response releases a destructive chemical cocktail, too.

There is the problem of our individual manifestation. It makes it impossible for me to say that all the stuff I have tried made any difference because I can't look at other PWP and know that I am better off. There is no baseline.

The only way that I can see out of this mess is to learn as much as I can and make my decisions based on what makes sense to me. It might make sense to you, too. So, some of the things that *should* help:

Phytochemicals (flavonoids, bioflavonoids, etc) offer a lot of promise. Curcumin/turmeric. Green tea extract. Quercetin. Resveratrol. Grape seed extract.

"Exotics" - Dextromethorphan. Mucuna pruriens. Nicotine.

"Nutritionals" - Vitamin D, B vitamins, plus a good multi.

Exercise- My biggest regret is that I didn't catch onto this one from Day One. Same with caloric restriction. These two things are proven to slow or stop PD. Drop the cheeseburger and start walking.

Don't just jump in blindly on any of this. Search this forum on each. Set up your computer so that you can work standing up. Good luck.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
imark3000 (05-05-2011), krugen68 (05-05-2011), mrsD (05-05-2011)