advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 09:51 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Educational effects on SSD

I'm thinking about finishing grad school, I just have to take a few more courses and conduct my thesis.. One of the arguments that I have with my mom is whether or not I should officially finish.. I'm of the belief that if I finish my grad studies sometime in 2012, it will pretty much be goodnight for my SSD benifits (next review in 2015).. my mom, who wants me to gradute, claims that educational ability is irrelevant.. and brings up the movie 'A Beutiful Mind', in which supposedly a schizophrenic finishes his masters degree and he's still disabled (I'm schizoaffective).. I wonder if there is any definitive answer to this.. My SSD benefis are hefty, and combined with my inheritance, I dont have to worry about anything.. so the issue is conerning
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-21-2011, 01:14 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedAsylum View Post
I'm thinking about finishing grad school, I just have to take a few more courses and conduct my thesis.. One of the arguments that I have with my mom is whether or not I should officially finish.. I'm of the belief that if I finish my grad studies sometime in 2012, it will pretty much be goodnight for my SSD benifits (next review in 2015).. my mom, who wants me to gradute, claims that educational ability is irrelevant.. and brings up the movie 'A Beutiful Mind', in which supposedly a schizophrenic finishes his masters degree and he's still disabled (I'm schizoaffective).. I wonder if there is any definitive answer to this.. My SSD benefis are hefty, and combined with my inheritance, I dont have to worry about anything.. so the issue is conerning
There is no definitive answer. Life is always uncertain. Whether or not you are disabled.

10 years from now will you be happy that you finished your advanced degree or will you kick yourself for quitting?
Janke is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:59 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is tough. I have been dx as schizoaffective among other things. To be honest with you, you should be proud if you can go to school. I can barely remember anything with my disorder. I have stated many times my lawyer told me that if I want to go to school/get a job make sure it is what I want to do for the rest of my life as I probably will lose on my review. As if they see someone with a mental illness doing something productive they will more than likely take the benefits away from you. I am not bragging but it would take a $15-$18 an hour job to come close to my benefits. That of course is counting what they give me for my kids. I really get bored and do volunteer my time so I know where you are coming from. I am 44 and do not want to be on disability for the rest of my life, but I want to make sure if I do try a job it is what I plan to do for the long term.
Hoosier_Daddy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:19 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy View Post
I am not bragging but it would take a $15-$18 an hour job to come close to my benefits. That of course is counting what they give me for my kids.

Yes Hoosier, you must make bank on your SSD.. the problem for me is I do as well.. I'm able to collect what my dad would have made (survivors) on SSD, and that is damn near double the average (1883/mo to be exact).. Combined with the fact that I have a nice inheritance lined up and I literally dont have to worry about anything.. this keeps me in a quagmire actually.. I feel as if I can try to contribute to society at some point, but don't want to lose the benefits until I know I wont need them
EducatedAsylum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:03 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I'm still in a dilemma myself about even enrolling in a Christian University for that reason (have already stated that before in a couple of threads)

Have you been reviewed already while you are in school? What has SS said about that?

That's a hard decision....Finishing Grad School is quite an accomplishment and you are so close . If you don't, it's almost like getting to the finish line of a marathon and falling to the ground before you cross it as you watch the others run right by you to receive the medal you should have won

Shari

Last edited by Shari_W; 05-23-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Shari_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote