Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Heartbroken

We adopted a southern Tornado dog from a local shelter here up north, saw him three weeks ago, took him home a week ago. Sweetest, gentlest thing. Decided to take in a dog to keep me company and give me a reason to have to get up off the couch, as I am still trying to recover from injuries from a massive car accident a year and a half ago. This dog was just the perfect gentle, calm, wonderful guy.

Today we took him to our vet for a thorough check up. The shelter told us he would be all updated on shots and health and everything before we took him home.

The only shot they gave him was rabies. He has some kind of skin infection, possibly ringworm. He has some kind of intestinal problem, borders on diarrhea, vet is expecting giardia, tho it could be worms. He has some kind of foot infection, she expects it's bacterial as her close exam didn't look like mange after all. And he has heartworms. Stage I, she says, no obvious symptoms, but positive test and indications in heart x-ray.

So far, we have 3 medicines to give him, one three times a day, two twice a day. Medicated shampoo at least weekly. When test results come back in, there may/will be more medicines. Several months of further treatments for the heartworms. And he has to rest and remain calm, no running, no jumping, no active playing, for months until this is done. He's a young, happy, energetic, playful dog. And now he is only allowed to walk gently. My kids have a new dog, and we cannot run and play with him.

And you don't want to know what today's vet bill alone ran. After the large fee the shelters here charge to adopt. Haven't called them yet to yell at them. They PROMISED he would be healthy and all before they sent him home. Their website says the tornado dogs will only be released for adoption after receiving a clean bill of health. I told them, quite plainly, that we had kids who were very sensitive about their pets, we even bury dead guppies and goldfish, can't just flush them, and that I could NOT bring home a sick dog and put them through that. And they did this to us.

My beautiful new baby is very sick, and tho it looks good for chances of recovery after a long treatment, he could also die from it. My poor doggie.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (06-12-2011), mrsD (06-11-2011)

advertisement
Old 06-11-2011, 04:31 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I don't understand why they gave him another rabies shot. If the shelter did anything for him I would think that would be the first thing they should have done.

It sounds like his conditions are treatable. Heartworms can be serious so I'm glad they at least caught it as soon as they could so he can begin treatment. I'm sure your vet bills would have seriously broken my budget. But, like you, I'd have found a way. If the shelter is accountable for their mistakes they should at least give you some of your adoption fee back. I hope you get something from them without too much of a fight.

I am thankful, though, that this little puppy has found a good home with you and his needs will be addressed. Pets rely on us to stand up for them. Thanks for being there for this little fella.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (06-11-2011)
Old 06-11-2011, 09:24 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

oops, guess I wasn't clear. The shelter gave him a rabies shot, and that's all. Passed him off to us with skin disease, intestinal disease, and heartworms. I ASKED about heartworms, and being up to date on vaccinations and all, they acted insulted that I would question such things. Good acting, I'll say.

This dog was in their care for at least 4 weeks. I'd say he was neglected by them. Seriously neglected. Poor doggy. No wonder he begged us to take him with us. (We saw him, and left. Went back with the kids to let them see him. They let us walk him around. Hubby went to hand the leash back to worker, doggy grovelled at his feet, crawled forward on the ground between his feet, total submission and begging to be accepted. Please, PLEASE don't leave me here. We went home to think about it.)

Going to call and give them what-for. Up here, the adoption fee is a hefty sum. But, I figured, since they neutered him, and theoretically gave him vet care and all his shots, it was reasonable. But they did nothing beyond neutering (rabies shot was given in Alabama.) If *I* let a dog exist with multiple infections and untreated heartworm, I could be held criminally liable. Going to give them the option of returning the fee directly to my vet to pay part of the remaining bill (vet let us split it in three parts). Then will decide what I do based on what they say. If I spread word via internet or whatever that they do this kind of thing, the other dogs there will not get adopted. But if I don't, other well-meaning people will take home seriously sick pets that they may not be able to deal with financially or physically. Or emotionally, when they are faced with dealing with it or giving back someone they fell in love with.

And, which the shelter knew from our application, we not only have the 2 kids, but 2 cats and other small pets as well, and they may have sent ringworm into our house???!!!! Thank you SO much.

Whole situation sucks. I feel sorry for doggy. I feel sorry for us. I made a calender listing his daily medicines and skin baths for the next months, so I can cross off each dose as I give it to him each day. He gets 8 pills a day right now. May be more added on when lab tests come back. Poor doggy.
winic1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote