advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 04:47 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Abdominal bloating sign of PN?

I have Dx of PN. The pain started in my lower abdomen. It has since moved to legs and arms. I am on 1600mg gabapentin per day.

I have bloating in abdomen. It seems more noticeable toward the end of day. My pain is less in morning and gets worse in evening. Sometimes I feel like there is a tight band around my waist and abdomen.

Could this bloating be related to PN or side effect of drug? I am an otherwise thin woman.
januarybabe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-20-2011, 05:09 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Does it seem like bloating or swelling? I have swelling in my legs and feet. Mrs D said that neurontin can cause this but for myself I am not sure it is that cause at times it is worse then others.
For you did you notice it since you started this med? For me sometimes I feel high pain equals more swelling but then I am not sure if it is the swelling causing more pain.
Have you talked to your doctor about this? If not I would.
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Bloating can be from gas. Most commonly generated by Candida.

But gas can come from eating gassy foods, or sluggish gall bladder.

If you eliminate all sugars and white carbs, for 2 weeks, see if the bloating improves.

If you take acid blocking drugs, I'd suspect bacteria digesting your protein, causing gas.

Fluid accumulation in the abdomen is a serious thing and should be evaluated by a doctor. They can tell by pushing on it a certain way. Fluid accumulating in the stomach can also be due to lymphatic fluid being blocked... an early sign of lymphoma. So it needs to be evaluated by a doctor. Fluid also accumulates from liver disease.
Abdominal swelling can also come from the ovary.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:17 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
Does it seem like bloating or swelling? I have swelling in my legs and feet. Mrs D said that neurontin can cause this but for myself I am not sure it is that cause at times it is worse then others.
For you did you notice it since you started this med? For me sometimes I feel high pain equals more swelling but then I am not sure if it is the swelling causing more pain.
Have you talked to your doctor about this? If not I would.

I would say it is more like swelling. I did mention to one doctor that I felt fat in abdomen, but he never said anything. I just wonder if doctors want to dismiss it when women say, "I feel fat."
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I think many doctors dismiss females who complain. It is sad but true. They have a word for it... "organ recital".

I attended a medical conference and this was discussed in relation to non-psychiatric doctors giving the new Prozac to patients. I was quite insulted to hear them laugh and banter about patients in pain. Just like House, on some of his shows. BTW Eli Lilly paid for this conference...no surprise there.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:46 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by januarybabe View Post
I would say it is more like swelling. I did mention to one doctor that I felt fat in abdomen, but he never said anything. I just wonder if doctors want to dismiss it when women say, "I feel fat."
I think doctors in general brush things off. I do feel for myself I am careful on how I state things to doctors. So instead of saying fat maybe say pressure or swelling. Just an idea.
On the rsd board a lady has severe swelling on her stomach and her doctors are also having a hard time with treatment. You stated your pn started there? So I am wondering if it is from the nerve inflamation which I think can cause swelling? Did you have an injury etc to that area? Have you been tested for gluten or other similar conditions?
Old 06-22-2011, 12:36 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
I think doctors in general brush things off. I do feel for myself I am careful on how I state things to doctors. So instead of saying fat maybe say pressure or swelling. Just an idea.
On the rsd board a lady has severe swelling on her stomach and her doctors are also having a hard time with treatment. You stated your pn started there? So I am wondering if it is from the nerve inflamation which I think can cause swelling? Did you have an injury etc to that area? Have you been tested for gluten or other similar conditions?
Thank you for replies. I did have hysterectomy in 2001. I thought that might have something to do with it as pain started along incision line. The pain started in 2010. The doctors didn't think there was any connection as so many years past.

No test for gluten that I am aware of. I have had many tests xrays, cat scan, some bloodwork, urine. Nothing organic showed up except for gallstones. The gallstones don't seem to bother me.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:06 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I have Dx of PN. The pain started in my lower abdomen. It has since moved to legs and arms. I am on 1600mg gabapentin per day.

I have bloating in abdomen. It seems more noticeable toward the end of day. My pain is less in morning and gets worse in evening. Sometimes I feel like there is a tight band around my waist and abdomen.

Could this bloating be related to PN or side effect of drug? I am an otherwise thin woman.
"Sometimes I feel like there is a tight band around my waist and abdomen."

does the band squeeze on and off several times a day? i have 2 bands in my feet that feel like they are in a vise at times,,
zorro1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Thank you for replies. I did have hysterectomy in 2001. I thought that might have something to do with it as pain started along incision line. The pain started in 2010. The doctors didn't think there was any connection as so many years past.

No test for gluten that I am aware of. I have had many tests xrays, cat scan, some bloodwork, urine. Nothing organic showed up except for gallstones. The gallstones don't seem to bother me.
You know there is a lady who on the RSD forum who has swelling on her stomach where it is severe and causes a lot of pain. I think she had surgery in the past and has rsd from that in her stomach area. With rsd it can cause severe swellings etc. Have you researched rsd? I am not saying it is or it is not. Just a thought.
It is hard for doctors to make connections because they only stay in their specialty and often don't look outside that.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:42 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro13 View Post
"Sometimes I feel like there is a tight band around my waist and abdomen."

does the band squeeze on and off several times a day? i have 2 bands in my feet that feel like they are in a vise at times,,

Yes, it is an off and on type of thing. I usually get it when my time is up on pain pills and am ready for my next gabapentin.