advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 12:44 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default meds affect neuropathy?

I just found this site, I didnt know so many people lived with this. Have had neuropathy for three years, nerve conduction tests normal...was told it is small fiber, sensory, idiopathic, etc. It started with burning feet, progressed to leg pain (sural nerve the worst) and over the past year or so has affected my arms and hands as well. In addition to pain I become weak and "rubbery' from elbows and knees down at times.
I also have COPD and take Spiriva (anticholinergic) inhaler and inhaled Flovent steroid. I thought something was going on so tweaked the dosage of meds at different times, and although they each have a somewhat different effect, BOTH increase the symptoms. Spiriva makes me a little numb and seems to make the pain more diffuse and severe. A little while after I use the Flovent I get a burst of burning and rubbery weakness. Its a really consistant effect.
Is this what happens with neuropathy??? Has anyone else had experiences with other drugs affecting it? I have a prescription for neurontin but cant bring myself to take it, Im a little 'drug shy' at this point.
Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.
zygopetalum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-24-2011, 02:44 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I think you should report this to your doctor.

Here is a link to the website Drugcite.com which organizes FDA adverse reports in easy to understand graphs:

http://drugcite.com/?q=spiriva

You will also want to make sure you are inhaling correctly. If you deposit the drugs more on the membranes of the mouth, instead of inhaling them the way they are designed, then they get absorbed and go into your systemic circulation and can cause many more intense side effects. If this is the case, you would see more dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty urinating as a side effects too. You can discuss this with your pharmacist and/or doctor to make sure you are using the inhalers correctly. (Many people do not use them properly and this is very common.)

There are many drugs that can cause neuropathy:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread122889.html

A common family of antibiotics, fluroquinolones, can do this...as that link explains. If you took these drugs for bronchitis or pneumonia in the past, they could have damaged your nervous system at that time.

You could ask to try another steroid inhaler. Azmacort for example. It has an extending chamber supplied with it to prevent the powder from landing on the inside of your mouth.
Or you can buy a "spacer" for the Flovent, and try that. Azmacort uses a different steroid, and so if you are intolerant to the Flovent, it might work better for you.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
zygopetalum (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi welcome though sorry you face this
I know from the boards some meds can cause neuropathy but I am not sure of the med you stated. Did you talk to your doctor about that?
I understand the fears of meds. I am on neurontin and many others are. There can be side effects but also may help. If you start on a low dose and work your way up and try to stay in the moment it may help. I know this is easier said then done of course
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
zygopetalum (06-24-2011)