advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 02:11 PM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The "Cane" Mutiny (Good News)

In my long intro I mentioned I have having problems with my AFO's, feeling off balance with them on. Well, saw the PT today for the eval. Did not wear the AFO's because I wanted her to see how well I could walk without them. I have no idea what was going though my mind when I made this decision....denial?...loose screws?...iron man games? So when she asked me to walk up the hall, I power walked as fast as I could hobble, made a sharp turn and well, you can guess what occured.

As it is, my AFO's are working like they should be, I just need learn to let them do their job and use a cane until I adjust. It only took about an hour of not fighting the braces for me to get it. Walking is much improved, fatigue is much less, muscle strain is better.

The "Cane Mutiny" is what my husband called the hissy fit of reluctance I subjected him to when he handed the cane to me to use with the braces. Body image problem, I guess. We all have some vanity. But I am a happy lady now that I did what I was told.
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-26-2011)

advertisement
Old 07-01-2011, 08:44 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Probably a dumb question, what are AFOs?

And what type of cane? I've been thinking of one with 4 "feet".
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I find using an aluminum walking pole, better than any cane.

They are adjustable, and really help with balance. If balance is all you need, you don't need to put weight on the pole. I find it easier to walk with than a cane.

When I hurt the tendons in my left hip from a fall, I used a quad cane for a while...and I hated it. I went to PT and they did ultrasound on my hip and IFc and things improved markedly. They also have balance exercises sort of like the old Arthur Murray dance technique, doing "dance" steps in marked spots on the floor...like a hopscotch pattern.
Forwards and sideways, etc.

I use a hiking pole that cost $15 at Dunham's sporting goods, and I've had it 4 yrs now. Very handy and light weight. I had to get replacement rubber tips for it, as the original one wore out quickly. It is especially good for stairs...and we have alot of stairs around HERE!

I find canes hard on my hands... and I've had that hypothyroid carpal tunnel for 30 yrs now, and have to really watch my hands and stress on them. The pole is much easier to grip and hold.
Holding the arm OUT in front gripping is better for me than "down" that canes require. People don't stare as much at the pole as the cane either, for some reason.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-26-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 06:40 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemom View Post
Probably a dumb question, what are AFOs?

And what type of cane? I've been thinking of one with 4 "feet".
Ankle foot orthotics. For foot drop. They keep my ankle from turning and sopport my lower leg.
"Thanks for this!" says:
aussiemom (07-02-2011), DVORA65 (08-26-2011)
Old 07-02-2011, 06:42 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I find using an aluminum walking pole, better than any cane.
I am using the cane because it was given to me. At first I put way too much weight on my hands. The walking pole sounds good. I need it only to help balance right now. I am hopeful I will be able to just use the AFO's alone. Boy am I sore today.