advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Question Exercise for motor neuropathy

I have neuropathy in both legs and am worried that I am losing bone strength and muscles, too.

I understand that water exercises are best but I don't have access to a pool. Is there something I can do at home?

I'm 71 and have serious balance problems, but need to try something!

Thanks,
Gramma
Gramma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma View Post
I have neuropathy in both legs and am worried that I am losing bone strength and muscles, too.

I understand that water exercises are best but I don't have access to a pool. Is there something I can do at home?

Thanks,
Gramma
from one gramma to another:

neuro @ jh recommended an exercise bike if swimming is not an option. i am totally in the same boat...bad balance, weakness & pain in legs & arms, etc. i use a walker but am about to graduate to a motorized scooter since my arm pain & weakness are worsening.
antonina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:55 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

Thanks,
Gramma
@Gramma,
I am predominently motor in both legs with my right calf getting noticably smaller than my left from not using it. I also have foot drop on the right. I saw a physical therapist for eval last week and will start regular sessions. She told me I needed stretching and strength building. We all are different, so what is prescribed for me, may not be right for you. At home I am going to be using the pedals that are not attached to a bike to help build up my leg strength. Some models allow for both arms and legs. I was assisting my legs by lifting the into the car, onto the bed, putting on slacks etc which is not good. So I am making them work. I also stretch my calves using a towel around my foot and pulling back. I have large exercise elastics to work on my toes and feet with resistance. I had to get off my butt!

I have to wear my AFO braces all the time during the day, but I find now that the reduced fatigue I have from them allows me to be more mobile and do more. Water exercise was recommended and we have an above the ground pool but I cannot negotiate the ladder to get in. I am thinking of the town pool, maybe you have one in your area you can use. Us seniors (I am 63) get lots of extras here.

My balance is off also and I am better with the brace, but I have to use a cane to help me steady myself. I will be getting gait training in my PT. What was advised to me was not to over do it and increase gradually.

Last edited by JB63; 07-05-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: left out word
JB63 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Tai Chi is good for balance. You could start slowly and build up to it. Very low impact and stress, but generally good results.
Nervous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:24 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Tai Chi is good for balance. You could start slowly and build up to it. Very low impact and stress, but generally good results.
I'd love to try this...living in the wilds of Tasmania I may have to buy DVDs, but thanks for reminding me I wanted to try it.

RhiannonsMoon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

^^^ Tai Chi is hard to do really well, but there is much to be gained by starting the process and allowing yourself to improve.

I bet a motivated person with a great name like "RhiannonsMoon" could make a go of it with DVDs alone.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I PT started and got a few at home things to do, basically stretching. In the rehab center, I stand between parallel bars and tap a the corner of a a board on a rocker. The goal is to tap the corner without rocking it. Need those bars tho'. Also I stand with my eyes closed and try to stay steady. I do baby lunges while holding the bars. What I am happy about is that I did 3 minutes on the bike, low resistance of course, at 40 mph and did not get fatigued. It is all baby steps, but I am feeling better just doing something to help myself
Old 07-10-2011, 02:54 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I've been looking for a class for seniors in Tai Chi Chua. Looks like it allows me to keep both feet on the floor at the same time. Just the thought of lifting one leg makes me start to topple over.
Gramma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:16 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
I've been looking for a class for seniors in Tai Chi Chua. Looks like it allows me to keep both feet on the floor at the same time. Just the thought of lifting one leg makes me start to topple over.
I can only do that if I am holding on to the bars. Otherwise it as if I am stopping off at the bars.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:

Hang in there, Gramma. Go at your own pace. You may find, as you go along and get a little stronger, that you are able to lift a leg as you go through the form.