advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default alka seltzer ( Mrs D )

Hi all

My symptoms are severe burning of the skin in the warm weather. I don't go out in the sun as my skin is hyposensitive. I have no rash or anything that you can see on the skin. This came on suddenly over 20 years ago. The medical profession say that as there is no sign of anything on the skin and as I am healthy I must be imagining it. The pain has destroyed my life

Anyway since finding this site I have been taking B12 and have just sent for D3 from iherb

A while back I saw a posting from Mrs D about alka selzer, but didn't understand what the difference was between that and ordinary asprin. Also there was something about baking soda or baking powder or something like that.

Anyway Mrs D ( Or anyone who would be kind enough to help ) could you please explain to me everything. )

I live in the UK and have had no help from any of the medical professionals.

Thanks in advance Sandra
bernie 123456 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-05-2011, 11:25 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

The specific action of bicarbonate (as in AlkaSeltzer or TriSalts), does two things:

AlkaSeltzer original formula has aspirin in it...this works very very fast when in the effervescent form...if the nerve reactions are based on inflammatory causes the aspirin knocks them out quickly.

The fast absorption of the bicarbonate changes the pH of the blood for a short time, and since pain transmission is thought to be acidic, this is blocked for a while. Also the bicarb blocks histamine receptors which also are acidic. The blood will normalize very quickly, but by then the bicarb has done its work on the receptors.

One has to be careful with aspirin containing things and not overdo it. I find that AlkaSeltzer works for me once a day or even less when I am in a pain flare. I used it one day this past weekend, but none the whole week before. I save it for when I am not doing well.

If you cannot do aspirin, there are TriSalts which are available online, that some environmental doctors use, esp in children who cannot take aspirin.

Some of the gout internet pages recommend sodium bicarbonate too, to reduce gout attacks for the same reason...blocks acid formation.

This is a temporary intervention and not a cure.. for me one dose lasts a long time, usually a whole 24 hrs or more.

Ordinary aspirin is not absorbed nearly as fast as effervescent forms.
I think the blast into the bloodstream allows for the more efficient actions.
Regular aspirin sits around the stomach, and may cause more bleeding issues there as well.

The aspirin in the AlkaSeltzer WILL also act to reduce platelet clumping, and so people on any blood thinning drugs or with bleeding problems, cannot take this form...the original formula with aspirin.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
JB63 (07-06-2011), malawigirl08 (07-05-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 06:01 PM #3

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I live in the UK and have had no help from any of the medical

Hi Sandra
I just wanted to offer you some sympathy, I too am in the UK and it is like being on the slow train to nowhere at times.
I have found great benefit from Alkaseltzer but like Mrs D use it as a back up when things are really bad. I keep it for bedtime and it eases the pain so that I can get to sleep. Epsom salts in a luke warm bath also helps but you would need to make sure the water isn't too hot.
Good luck
malawigirl08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (07-06-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:49 AM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie 123456 View Post
Hi all

My symptoms are severe burning of the skin in the warm weather. ...
Anyway since finding this site I have been taking B12 and have just sent for D3 from iherb

A while back I saw a posting from Mrs D about alka selzer, but didn't understand what the difference was between that and ordinary asprin. Also there was something about baking soda or baking powder or something like that.

I've been following this thread and am going to find some Alka Seltzer today.

If anyone has any other tricks for dealing with PN exacerbated by hot weather, I'd welcome the advice. My PN symptoms started in '08, and I was diagnosed in '10, but this is my first summer of experiencing really bad reaction to hot weather.

Thanks!
Nervous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ive been having a rough time at night with pn pain on the uptick significantly in feet the last few weeks in the heat also. after using alka seltzer and the epsom salts creme from cvs i finally stayed asleep at 5 am this morning.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nervous (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 01:28 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Oh, I am glad to see the lotion is working for you!

I use it every night now... it really helps with sleep too.

I feel we are blessed that a poster, januarybabe came and told us about it!

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
echoes long ago (07-07-2011)
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi bernie and other hot weather pain sufferers,

For me, there is no pain that compares with hot sun shining on my feet, so I wanted to send you my sympathies. When that happens, the only things that help are getting into the shade, having a cool soak in anything, even just plain, cool water, or just a spray bottle. Not all that helpful I guess, but at least you know you're not alone. People telling you are imagining it is horrible, especially doctors...I'm so sorry!
malawigirl08 (07-16-2011), Nervous (07-07-2011)
Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Oh, I am glad to see the lotion is working for you!

I use it every night now... it really helps with sleep too.

I feel we are blessed that a poster, januarybabe came and told us about it!
Do you use that lotion for the burning on your feet, for the pain, or for both? When my feet are burning I place a cold pack from the freezer in between a terrycloth bath towel, and sit with the soles of my feet on top of it. It feels so good, and really does the trick to stop the burning.
Rosie33 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I put the magnesium on my arms. Mostly on the inner part where the skin is more sensitive and thinnest. I go for maximum absorption of the magnesium. I have used the Epsom lotion on the calves a few times when they were tight.

I use Biofreeze on the feet if necessary for burning. And I have used an ice pack too at times. That sharp pain in my ankle from another problem responds to the ice better. The pain in my ankle and the swelling goes way down with the laser pointer. I stopped it for an experiment and it came back with the swelling. It is now back down, with reuse of the pointer. So I am confident now that the laser thing works. I do the scar (where the hemangioma tumor still has bits left on the instep, the heel and ball of the foot for 10-15minutes.). If Weezie the kittie sees me doing this I have to play with her too!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Last night, I used the Epsom lotion in my legs and feet and had a fan blowing on me. It helped — I was much better off than the night before — but I wish the Epsom lotion had a more potent effect on me.

What's the laser pointer?

Also, is Biofreeze a prescription product? I searched it and it appears that it is not available in drug stores.
Nervous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote