advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 11:47 AM #1

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Grrr.... Don't do this!

Last week, my wife and I went to the beach for my birthday. The sand seems pretty good on my feet and I enjoy standing in knee deep water and surf-fishing.

Anyway, we parked the car and crossed the mostly deserted beach to drop our stuff by the water. I was carrying a lot of stuff and my wife was walking behind me carrying more things. When I made it to the wet sand, I felt like something was attached to the bottoms of my feet and looked at them to find I had blistered the bottoms of each toe and several spots across the bottom of my feet.
Of course, because of pn I can't really feel things on my feet too well.

The cold water felt good and I fished for several hours determined to enjoy the day. When we left, the sand was cooler and I gingerly made it back to the car. To say it was a miserable weekend is a big understatement.

Last edited by surfer00; 07-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.
surfer00 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gosh the sand must have been very hot, did your wife not notice it.
In my case I can feel temperature, moisture & pain but not pressure.
numbfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:02 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did the same thing last summer. I didn't feel the heat until I was half way to the water, then I had to decide, do I go to the water or back to the car. At that point, I thought the sand was hot, weird thing was, no one else was complaining. I headed for the water, once hitting the wet sand, my feet felt better, but the same as your feet, like something was stuck on them. Same as you, blisters on every toe, that's when I felt even worse!!! I had no idea how I would get back to the car.My toes hurt for days after. Since that day, I wear swimmers shoes until I get to the wet sand.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:38 PM #4

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

numbfoot,

My wife had sandals on and didn't think of it. As my username suggests, I'm an old surfer that cant stand being on a board anymore so I have started fishing to get my ocean fix. It's actually rare in my area for the sand to get so hot and I have maybe blistered my feet three times over the years, so I never gave it a thought.

deb,

Well, it sounds like you know exactly what happened, lol. It was a long weekend, but it's better today. Actually my toes are fine, but other parts of my feet really ache. Maybe I walked in such a way trying to keep off my toes that I aggravated the rest of my feet.
surfer00 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

not being able to surf totally sucks. its the thing i miss the most
drswami is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:51 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Please tend to those blisters, well. Keep the areas clean and covered if possible. You can get infections very easily on the feet.

I use triple antibiotic on any injury or blister on my feet after cleaning with 3% hydrogen peroxide.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:08 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well surfer..I think just walking from the car to the water is hard on our feet. I love to wander the beach, and once I get to the wet sand, the walking is much easier, but then I tend to wander too far. Once I get to that point, that I am upset with myself because it's so far back to the car. I love the ocean, but this year, I haven't been there once. I must go after work one day. The sand is cooler then, but then my other issue sets in....I get too cold. I lost a huge amount of weight last year, and with that weight, I lost my furnace..I get cold so easily.

Feel better and keep enjoying the ocean.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My last trip to the beach had me in tears. I used to love to feel the sand on my soles, and squish it between my toes, but this time the sand felt like broken glass. I was in excruciating pain in seconds (the sand was NOT hot) and had to wear my clogs on the beach. Seemed a bit of a waste of a beach experience! There I was, hobbling down the beach in my clogs, on feet that were stinging from being bare for a brief moment . . . when in my mind all I wanted to do was run barefoot into the surf. Forget that! The cold surf felt like knives!

I hate this disease . . .
Old 07-07-2011, 05:58 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I hear ya, lefthanded. PN has destroyed the beach experience for me, except for one thing I experienced for the first time last week: parasailing in the Chesapeake Bay...what a breathtaking few minutes, with beauty bombarding my eyes and nothing touching/burning my feet!